Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism on boards and Ireland

• 27-09-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Ok i know there is the possibility that this is going to blow up but it has been bugging me.

Please lets be polite.

This is not about certain races or people.

It is about racists.

I fiind it seems to have become acceptable to make racist posts on boards and get away with it.

The enoch powell thread was like...erm?? HUH???

Certain comments on people of diff ethnicities living here leave me angry.

Why has it exploded in Ireland and why is it now ok?

And yes i believe it has increased and people are less willing to pull people up on it.

Should the GOVT do more about racism? I certainly would like to see it.

Immigration over the past few years has decreased due to stricter laws yet it is on the increase in Ireland. We are immigration abroad and if there is the slightest HINT of anti-Irishness we scream and whine about it. Even when it is clear none exists.

If you are not Irish or are Irish and of a differenet race how do ou feel about it? And how do you feel boards is?

And i am not accepting this idea that oh it is about social planning we must control the population. It is harder than ever to get into Ireland and we are a sparsely populated island.

I want an Ireland that really appreciates the new Irish and uses their ideas and engages with them.

I have many Irish non white friends and to be honest i really worry about how they are treated.
    It makes me ashamed to be Irish. Racists bring shame to Ireland.

It is in our anthem some have come from a land beyond the wave.

Ireland is MUCH better with many different people. Lets be proud of who we are as a nation now. The new Irish are a part of who we are.

We need new Ideas in Politics and the media. It should represent the multicultural society that exists.

What are your thoughts and experiences whatever your background?

And has anyone else noticed boards is getting more extremists comments. I can't believe some of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I blame the greeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

free speech,
    people call anything and everything racism,
    we are in a land of free speech,
    long may it last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's more outward anti-Irishness on this site than there is racism against other nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I blame the greeks.

....."They invented gayness" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Evidence please???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I blame the greeks.

I hear you're a racist now, DrumSteve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Boombastic - not a racist

They're a great bunch of lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't agree that there's an increase in racism, only the same old tribalism and a bit of nationalism here and there. I agree there is an increase in extremist low brow comments and it's to the detriment of the site. It seems a lot of decent people have closed accounts and a lot of numpties have opened them. I take it as a sign of recessionary times. Economics has a big influence on society and attitudes.
    It's still not a bad spot but there's less interest and openness and more polarity with everything which is a small death in itself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's all them foreigners that are here. Bunch of racist feckers, so they are.

Ok i know there is the possibility that this is going to blow up but it has been bugging me.

Please lets be polite.

This is not about certain races or people.

It is about racists.

I fiind it seems to have become acceptable to make racist posts on boards and get away with it.

The enoch powell thread was like...erm?? HUH???

Certain comments on people of diff ethnicities living here leave me angry.

Why has it exploded in Ireland and why is it now ok?

And yes i believe it has increased and people are less willing to pull people up on it.

Should the GOVT do more about racism? I certainly would like to see it.

Immigration over the past few years has decreased due to stricter laws yet it is on the increase in Ireland. We are immigration abroad and if there is the slightest HINT of anti-Irishness we scream and whine about it. Even when it is clear none exists.

If you are not Irish or are Irish and of a differenet race how do ou feel about it? And how do you feel boards is?

And i am not accepting this idea that oh it is about social planning we must control the population. It is harder than ever to get into Ireland and we are a sparsely populated island.

I want an Ireland that really appreciates the new Irish and uses their ideas and engages with them.

I have many Irish non white friends and to be honest i really worry about how they are treated.
    It makes me ashamed to be Irish. Racists bring shame to Ireland.

It is in our anthem some have come from a land beyond the wave.

Ireland is MUCH better with many different people. Lets be proud of who we are as a nation now. The new Irish are a part of who we are.

We need new Ideas in Politics and the media. It should represent the multicultural society that exists.

What are your thoughts and experiences whatever your background?

And has anyone else noticed boards is getting more extremists comments. I can't believe some of them.

Thinly veiled attempt to get a Father Ted thread going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

WIR MUSSEN DER JUDEN AUS...... oh erm yeh down with that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

I blame the greeks.
    -_-
    To blame the Irish seems more logical.

I get your being ironic.

Guys though please. Keep the humour non racial in this thread. (Well keep humour non racial in general anyway).

But i just worry it will kick off if people in the thread are not aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

We're only mad at them because we can't pronounce their complicated long names, Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The new Irish can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned. You can call me a racist if you want but there's no way on earth I'll ever come to accept hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bondie

I agree with your entire post, what are these new ideas???

First it's the old people and then it's the racists, OP you need to become more tolerant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The main racism on boards, isn't racist at all - its xenophobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

We're only mad at them because we can't pronounce their complicated long names, Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy.
    My wasted years studying Stalinist propaganda taught me only one thing.

Imperatritsy is Russian for Empress.

The rest I haven't a clue:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

We are immigration abroad and if there is the slightest HINT of anti-Irishness we scream and whine about it. Even when it is clear none exists.

Did you not claim to have a Ganzie load of degrees?

Will ya ever climb back under your bridge and stop provoking the good folk of AH. The weekend is upon us! Be happy, for tomorrow is Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

One mans racism is another mans answer on After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

mike65 wrote: »
    The main racism on boards, isn't racist at all - its xenophobia.

Exactly.

There's no such thing as an Irish 'race'. People continually confuse this with nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I don't think the Irish are very racist, to be honest.

Xenophobes, yes. But bearing in mind that there was nothing but white, irish, english speaking catholics when I moved there in 1984, a little xenophobia is to be expected.

I hear a lot more overtly racist talk when I am overseas.

I hear a lot more overtly racist talk when I am overseas.

Those bloody foreigners:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JJLongford

I blame the foreigners for racism! They brought it here. Without them we wouldn't be filled with hate! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yeah, it's JUST Ireland that's exploding with racism.

goat2 wrote: »
    free speech,
    people call anything and everything racism,
    we are in a land of free speech,
    long may it last

People do not call anything and everything racism.

Speech ok. What about Defammation?

What about anti-discrimmination.

The right of people to live in their country of birth or residence without harrassment.

By the way does it actually garrantee the rights of free speech in the Irish constitution?

And what about this type of attitude in the north ? Do you defend the right of extremists spouting this stuff about Irish people there?

And what happens when we all blast our mouths off to the extent that it ends in over heating the situation to the extent that it does in the north?

Rascism is not a right.

What about Hogan's recent letter? It makes me wonder what the GOVT's attitude is to other minorities to be honest.

And what about when one of our boxer's who won a medal and was subject to comments about his background?

Boombastic wrote: »
    Those bloody foreigners:pac:

I know, right? What a shower they are, having the gall to be all foreign in their own countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

OP, you're confusing Racism with Ethnic Criticism.

Exactly.

There's no such thing as an Irish 'race'. People continually confuse this with nationality.

There is xenophobia, racism and bigotry. The Irish, a lovely bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's a good thing there's been a crackdown on grammar and spelling racism

I think we should be grateful to the OP for showing us all the error of our ways, first in allowing old people to have jobs, and now in being racist.

We need someone like her to tactfully point out our flaws which we can't see ourselves.

I mean like, racism totally sucks!? HELLO!!??

I hope you tackle the recession in your next thread OP. It'll be great to have that sorted once and for all. Then maybe get rid of sexism.

Sure we hate ourselves

@King of Moo You must have missed the thread about the man who got 16 years probation. Article linked.

OP straightened us out on that one with

"He was seen as threatening enough to be given 25 yrs"

I lol'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What about Defammation?

Is that like when you shit on someone as part of a sex act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

give it up, people are treated very well in this country, when i travel to other countries, i abide by their laws, and ways of life, and i expect those who come to abide by ours, if i dont like the law or ways of a place, i dont bother going there,
    live and let live.
    freedom of speech, is part of our way

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

It has 'exploded' because a only handful of gumballs have gained entry, thus far now can you imagine it were inevitably more?!! We are a really, really small jar In comparison

And I don't want reports of direct racism, snide jibes n outright attacks or that so best nip it in the bud?

.. look. Suffered 'where da fcuk are you from' myself, as a lad due to black hair yet bluer eyes?!! Classic Irish, compared to the east coast Vikings or English they likely were so I know the depths but you should take some positivity out of it n see em as grunts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

The all hallowed almighty and sacred 'N' word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Bondie wrote: »

I'm not sure what you mean by that term ... those who have been granted citizenship, or people who have simply lived here for a long time but don't have it? The term is often ascribed the latter, and it's nonsensical in that regard (if I live in London for 20 years it doesn't make me "New British")

I have no problem with anyone who obeys the laws of the land, and that doesn't include Halal torture of animals, which our pussy governments have ignored. It also doesn't include paedophilia among certain communities mis-sold as anything to do with 'tradition' or 'culture'.

Anyone who thinks we're the work of Satan and need to be destroyed is welcome to f*** off home and take their twisted s*** with them though.

Incidentally, racism is a part of the human condition. Every nation on earth is racist.

OP, you're confusing Racism with Ethnic Criticism.

The two are one and the same. Criticising ethnicities in general terms is bigotry. What the above comment shows is a veiled attempt to bring respectabilty to what is inherently wrong. It fools no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Sure isn't that what a free society is all about, the europeans, the africans, the asians and the racists living side by side doing and saying whatever the fluck they feel.

But seriously though I strongly disagree. I have a multi-cultured family and have never had any experience of racism. I think Irish people are actually quite tolerant of other ethnicities and as for whineing about being descriminated for being Irish. Poppycock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

There is xenophobia, racism and bigotry. The Irish, a lovely bunch of lads.

If you think Ireland has a major problem with racism I suggest you haven't travelled much.

Compared to other countries with overt, brain dead racists, Ireland is a shangri-la in comparison.

• Advertisement

Bondie wrote: »

We should ask them.

Wait, is the OP Irish?

Because otherwise saying "the Irish are racist" is probably, well, you know...

Is that like when you shit on someone as part of a sex act?

No, you're thinking of unfammation.

Defammation is when you park your lunch on a glass topped table while a willing accomplice does the sinful underneath.

We should ask them.

I'm going to ask every black person I see on the street for their ideas on improving the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

We should ask them.

..over for a cuppa tae.

A few Mariettas, custard creams and a maybe even throw in a few chocolate digestive (so as not to be racist loike).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

OP, (may I call you Tossy Imperial Vindaloo?) I know we don't really get along, and I disagree with everything you say, in fact we are polar opposites and have nothing in common.

BUT

Will you marry me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Funkfield wrote: »
    No, you're thinking of unfammation.

Defammation is when you park your lunch on a glass topped table while a willing accomplice does the sinful underneath.

That's the feeding of a starving person is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Where To wrote: »
    OP, (may I call you Tossy Imperial Vindaloo?) I know we don't really get along, and I disagree with everything you say, in fact we are polar opposites and have nothing in common.

BUT

Will you marry me?

Magnetic marriage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Yes, Mr. Jewnegrochinklatino of the Fortyfour-Eightyeight clan.

MsQuinn wrote: »
    Evidence please???

Check the Enoch Powell thread the Austrailian thread.

Hogan's Letter demonstrates clear evidence at a high levelas does the reaction when a Boxer from a Travelling community won a medal from an exclusive restuarant.

The latest Taxi scandal also springs to mind.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-racism-is-the-irish-reality-we-need-to-stop-pretending-otherwise-391725-Mar2012/

I think racism is an issue in all countries.It should not be whether other countries are less or more racist than us. The question is how do we deal with it here?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement