Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aware 10k - Saturday 8 December

Options
  • 27-09-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭

The Aware Christmas Run 10k 2012 is on Saturday 8 December at 10:30am in the Phoenix Park.

There is a new route this year with the start line moved to Chesterfield Avenue.
    Registration is 25 euro.
    http://www.aware.ie/fundraising/aware_events/10k_christmas_run/

I believe that the route is a two lap course, likely to be similar to the NCBI 10k in April, which involved climbing out of the Furry Glen twice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

daymobrew wrote: »
    The Aware Christmas Run 10k 2012 is on Saturday 8 December at 10:30am in the Phoenix Park.

A new 5k option has been incorporated into the event.
    There is a new route this year with the start line moved to Chesterfield Avenue.
    Registration is 25 euro.

I believe that the route is a two lap course, likely to be similar to the NCBI 10k in April, which involved climbing out of the Furry Glen twice!!

The route is on their website, must say it looks a little confusing with 10k and 5k starting at the same time with the 10k starting in front of the 5k.

Was thinking of running the 10k for a PB attempt, but not too sure now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Dont know why they changed the route. They used the national 10k course before and that was fine, if it aint broke and all that. NCBI route is crap, did that race last year and climbing out of the furry glen twice is horrible. I know its a charity race but I think the route will put some people off and as a charity they cant afford to lose any bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭daymobrew

tunguska wrote: »
    Dont know why they changed the route. They used the national 10k course before and that was fine, if it aint broke and all that. NCBI route is crap, did that race last year and climbing out of the furry glen twice is horrible. I know its a charity race but I think the route will put some people off and as a charity they cant afford to lose any bodies.
    The OPW tells them the route to take.
    This route was used for the Remembrance Run 5k (>1000 finishers) and will be used for Movember 10k/5k.

There won't be much lapping.
    I enjoyed the NCBI 10k - the 2 climbs out of Furry Glen weren't as bad as I expected. The climb out is less steep than going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If several races have now used this same course, I get the feeling we will all get to know it pretty well over the coming months :)

Im entered in this race anyway, was looking at it for a 10k pb attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

The route is on their website, must say it looks a little confusing with 10k and 5k starting at the same time with the 10k starting in front of the 5k.

Was thinking of running the 10k for a PB attempt, but not too sure now!

It could just be me going blind / stupid but where on that link is the route?

• Advertisement

beeduybe wrote: »
    It could just be me going blind / stupid but where on that link is the route?

That's odd! They have removed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Looks like they've dropped the 5k option too.

The Independent and Irish Runner are getting on board with this race so they might revert to the previous route (Great Ireland Run) now that they've a bigger status, it could give them more sway in closing roads, etc.

Clum wrote: »
    The Independent and Irish Runner are getting on board with this race so they might revert to the previous route (Great Ireland Run) now that they've a bigger status, it could give them more sway in closing roads, etc.
    The Great Ireland Run has a lot more climbing than the NCBI route - up to Magazine Fort, up Upper Glen Road and out of Furry Glen vs 2 out of Furry Glen.

The Great Ireland Run has a lot more climbing than the NCBI route - up to Magazine Fort, up Upper Glen Road and out of Furry Glen vs 2 out of Furry Glen.

You're right but I ran that 2 lap course yesterday at the MoRun and it was a disaster for front runners. I finished 2nd (although provisional results have me winning it) and spent the 2nd through 5th kilometers running around 5k runners who started before us and then kilometers 8 through 10 doing the same with 10k backmarkers.

I finished in 36.19, a second slower than what I ran Great Ireland Run back in April and would've been (I guess) 20 seconds quicker without the crowds but I'd much rather a hillier one loop course than to have to put up with that again.

There was only 1000 in the 10k yesterday and Aware usually attracts closer to 2000 so there'd be a lot more people to avoid for the front runners over the last 3k if Aware use that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 QandA

I've tried contacting the e-mail address provided on the aware.ie website twice but have had no response. Looking for route, chip details and course management. I guess the removal of the 5k race if confirmed, might solve the latter issue though...

• Advertisement

QandA wrote: »
    I've tried contacting the e-mail address provided on the aware.ie website twice but have had no response. Looking for route, chip details and course management. I guess the removal of the 5k race if confirmed, might solve the latter issue though...
    I emailed them yesterday (Monday) and got a reply this morning.

The 5k is cancelled due to low uptake.
    The route is not changed - it is 2 laps of the route mentioned earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I emailed them yesterday (Monday) and got a reply this morning.

The 5k is cancelled due to low uptake.
    The route is not changed - it is 2 laps of the route mentioned earlier.

Pardon my extreme ignorance of how these things are run, but is it not very early to call a low uptake? I was planning on doing the 5k run :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I agree with g'em.

I and 6 friends were going to do the 5k on the day.

Seems very strange to cancel something 3 weeks out because of poor take up. They would also have had a good few turn up on the day to enter as well.

Can't see myself doing the 10k though as lap courses don't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

g'em wrote: »
    Pardon my extreme ignorance of how these things are run, but is it not very early to call a low uptake? I was planning on doing the 5k run :(

It wouldn't be the norm, but with Charity races these kind of things tend to happen unfortunately. A few years ago the 10k turned out to be 8.9km

If it helps, there is a free 5k in Malahide Castle every Saturday morning. It is as professionally run as any race you'll find but no cost:
    Info here: www.parkrun.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

menoscemo wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the norm, but with Charity races these kind of things tend to happen unfortunately. A few years ago the 10k turned out to be 8.9km
    :eek: Seriously?? That's madness! I mean in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but I'm sure there's a lot of people who use these races for some serious training, you couldn't help but feel very short changed!
    mensocemo wrote:
    If it helps, there is a free 5k in Malahide Castle every Saturday morning. It is as professionally run as any race you'll find but no cost:
    Info here: www.parkrun.ie/

That's brilliant to know, thank you :)

The Phoenix Park is right beside where I live and that was one of the big draws, so I've signed up to the Jingle Bells run a week beforehand now instead.

If I remember correctly this was a Garda decision - they wanted to keep Acres Road open in case access was needed to the hospital near the Chapelizod gate. That fact that similar road closures happen all the time seemed to be forgotten by the Garda sergeant involved.
    It was not the fault of Aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You're right but I ran that 2 lap course yesterday at the MoRun and it was a disaster for front runners. I finished 2nd (although provisional results have me winning it) and spent the 2nd through 5th kilometers running around 5k runners who started before us and then kilometers 8 through 10 doing the same with 10k backmarkers.

I finished in 36.19, a second slower than what I ran Great Ireland Run back in April and would've been (I guess) 20 seconds quicker without the crowds but I'd much rather a hillier one loop course than to have to put up with that again.

There was only 1000 in the 10k yesterday and Aware usually attracts closer to 2000 so there'd be a lot more people to avoid for the front runners over the last 3k if Aware use that course.

It is an awful course. The great Ireland run route is a lot better. I wonder if The great Run people have some sort of legal claim on that route, like intellectual property or something like that. Sounds silly I know but I just cant understand why whoever has final say on the route would pick the one thats a two lapper???

tunguska wrote: »
    It is an awful course. The great Ireland run route is a lot better. I wonder if The great Run people have some sort of legal claim on that route, like intellectual property or something like that. Sounds silly I know but I just cant understand why whoever has final say on the route would pick the one thats a two lapper???
    The OPW has the final say - I believe that they tell the organiser what route to use.

The GIR route requires more road closures than this route and that is likely the problem.
    I doubt that many people will catch/lap slower runners, or that there will be only be a few of them that will not impede those faster runners.

Anyhow, I like the course as it is mostly flat and it worked well for me in the NCBI 10k in April.

I doubt that many people will catch/lap slower runners, or that there will be only be a few of them that will not impede those faster runners.

With the 5k option gone it won't be as bad as last weekend. I had a look at the results and giving that the 5k started 10 minutes before the 10k and my first 5k was done in about 17.30 I had to work my way through about 380 5k runners on the first lap. I ran most of the furry glen in the grass and mud, not on the road at all.

I only caught about 150 10k backmarkers on the second lap (plus a load of 5k runners still making their way around). I can live with that, but Aware usually attracts faster, more competitive runners than me who will catch many more backmarkers.

Now that the 5k option is gone though I'll hopefully run the Aware 10k. I ran it a few years back and really enjoyed it.

With the 5k option gone it won't be as bad as last weekend. I had a look at the results and giving that the 5k started 10 minutes before the 10k and my first 5k was done in about 17.30 I had to work my way through about 380 5k runners on the first lap. I ran most of the furry glen in the grass and mud, not on the road at all.

I only caught about 150 10k backmarkers on the second lap (plus a load of 5k runners still making their way around). I can live with that, but Aware usually attracts faster, more competitive runners than me who will catch many more backmarkers.

Now that the 5k option is gone though I'll hopefully run the Aware 10k. I ran it a few years back and really enjoyed it.

Is the 5K definitely gone then? I kind of assumed it was as information about it disappeared, but I didn't see any confirmation last time I checked the site.

How many k for each lap for the 10K?

• Advertisement

How many k for each lap for the 10K?
    It is a 2 lap course making each lap 5k. Well, it's not exactly that - the lap is a little more than 5k but the finish line is appropriately placed at the 10k mark (I am basing this on the NCBI 10k route).

It is a 2 lap course making each lap 5k. Well, it's not exactly that - the lap is a little more than 5k but the finish line is appropriately placed at the 10k mark (I am basing this on the NCBI 10k route).

Thanks, I guess any more than two and lapping would become a serious issue! Think I will do this now! want to finish the year with a PB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Events that don't have enough stewards and people who have organised events before are asking for trouble running two races which run into each other.

Good idea to cancel the 5k.
    Where is registration for this event?

Where is registration for this event?
    Online: http://www.aware.ie/fundraising/aware_events/10k_christmas_run/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

signed up for this today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Is there just the one hill on the Upper Glen rd or are there any other hills? I have run around here but can't remember.

rasher_m wrote: »
    Is there just the one hill on the Upper Glen rd or are there any other hills? I have run around here but can't remember.

There is one hill. It's on the lower glenn Rd (furry Glen) when rejoining the upper Glen Rd.
    You run it twice unfortunately...

There is one hill. It's on the lower glenn Rd (furry Glen) when rejoining the upper Glen Rd.
    You run it twice unfortunately...

Thx meno, do you know how long this hill is? I'm trying to figure out where I need to conserve my energy :)

rasher_m wrote: »
    Thx meno, do you know how long this hill is? I'm trying to figure out where I need to conserve my energy :)

It's quite short and steep, around the 3k/8k mark. I think there is a bit of a drag too over the next KM until you tuen onto Furze Road.

• Advertisement

It's quite short and steep, around the 3k/8k mark. I think there is a bit of a drag too over the next KM until you tuen onto Furze Road.

Ah ok, sounds like Military hill, right thats great to have the heads up ;)

Advertisement