Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do H1B visa applications open up again in 2013?

Options
  • 27-09-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I heard all H1B visa's have been given out this year and am wondering when next years applications open up? I have been offered sponsorship and am currently living in the US on a different visa.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's usually April, to start work in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 osullm36

Can someone explain briefly what the process is for applying for H1B? I'm guessing you have to do it in partnership with your employer right?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

osullm36 wrote: »
    Can someone explain briefly what the process is for applying for H1B? I'm guessing you have to do it in partnership with your employer right?

Thanks

Are you based in the US or in Ireland? H1b needs employer sponsorship incl them taking all of the expenses.
    They need to do a labor certification through the dept of labor. This may incl present degrees and assessment of you education and experience by an expert. Also proving you will earn the prevail wage, which may incl wage surveys etc.
    The second part is filling out an I129 form with the addition of your approved LCA.
    Typically a company hires a lawyer to complete the process but it is not impossible to do it yourself. After I did it first with a lawyer, I have completed some with my employer only since.

Thanks Darren, I'm moving over to US in two weeks and am in the process of applying for jobs and I just thinking if and when (hopefully) I get a job that I could explore the idea of staying on after my first year.

I suppose it all really depends on the employer. How much does it roughly cost them to go through the process?

Thanks Darren, I'm moving over to US in two weeks and am in the process of applying for jobs and I just thinking if and when (hopefully) I get a job that I could explore the idea of staying on after my first year.

I suppose it all really depends on the employer. How much does it roughly cost them to go through the process?

It depends on the employer and whether they use a lawyer. The range can be anywhere from circa 2K (without a lawyer) to 5K+ with a lawyer. What industry will you be working. That will pay a huge determination on whether you can even get a H1b.

• Advertisement

OK so you'll probably need to be worth double that in your value for the employer to want to go through all that effort.

I will be working in the philanthropy / CSR sector

OK so you'll probably need to be worth double that in your value for the employer to want to go through all that effort.

I will be working in the philanthropy / CSR sector

I would check and see if that is considered a "Skilled worker" by the Dept of labor. Typically it is technical professional and some management. I would not be sure on that.

Advertisement