Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Fluorescent Light starter Socket

Options
  • 27-09-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Please can someone tell me if there's anyone in Ireland that stocks socket for the starter of a circular fluorescent light.
    I'm told these are common to go! I bought a new tube as I thought this was my problem, but when I replaced the tube it didn't work, so I went to change the starter, and the socket just crumble in my hand!
    But tried to get one and I get people look at me as if I'm stupid when I ask if they sell it, they think I mean a starter! But I don't!!

Comments

cathymcl2 wrote: »
    Please can someone tell me if there's anyone in Ireland that stocks socket for the starter of a circular fluorescent light.
    I'm told these are common to go! I bought a new tube as I thought this was my problem, but when I replaced the tube it didn't work, so I went to change the starter, and the socket just crumble in my hand!
    But tried to get one and I get people look at me as if I'm stupid when I ask if they sell it, they think I mean a starter! But I don't!!

Try any electrical wholesaler (although i've never had to buy one myself). I see you're in Roscommon. MGF are the only crowd there that I know of. Its an easy fix but are you competent enough to replace the part yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭cathymcl2

Thanks, I'll give them a try tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on. thanks again.
    It's easy to do as you say, I know how to replace it as I took the old starter socket off to take with me to get the part!! I put the two wires into a small block so they wouldn't touch and cause fuses etc to 'blow'.
    See good teacher my dad! Women are not all helpless!! lol no offence meant!

Thanks, I'll give them a try tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on. thanks again.
    It's easy to do as you say, I know how to replace it as I took the old starter socket off to take with me to get the part!! I put the two wires into a small block so they wouldn't touch and cause fuses etc to 'blow'.
    See good teacher my dad! Women are not all helpless!! lol no offence meant!

A long as you follow rule 1 of the electrical bible: "make sure the power is off!" you should be grand :p Man, woman or other, I always want to ensure that anyone going near electricity is competent enough to do so. Let us know how it goes anyway.

Thanks Shaaane, I've bought one, I rang MGF and they had them, but I had to go to Sligo for another reason, and as I'd gone online looking at MGF, I noticed others listed so. Went into to find who was in Sligo and got one at Clifford Electricals, so was pleased. Thanks for help anyway,as through you I managed to get one. :-)
    Now gotta connect it, once had a cuppa!!

All working fine! Thanks Shaaane for you help. Did remember the Golden Rule as well!! lol!

• Advertisement

All working fine! Thanks Shaaane for you help. Did remember the Golden Rule as well!! lol!
    Excellent stuff. Fair play to you :)

Advertisement