Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total noob to computer building!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

plenty to save on as far as i can see, first off the motherboard, €150 is abit too much to spend on your first build so i chose a cheaper z77 mobo. also the DVD drive is much cheaper as OEM instead of retail also a cheaper 660ti which is just as good and lastly a 550W PSU instead of a 650W which would be overkill for that system IMO.
    also avoid those cheap thermaltake cases are noisey as hell (thermaltake are good they just suck at the budget case market)
    Also Incuded a nifty mouse and a CPU cooler for the CPU so you could push the OC higher but no keyboard as you should buy locally since HWVS only sell german layout.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€210.11
    ARCTIC COOLING CPU-Kühler Freezer i30|€28.66
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL10|€34.07
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti Windforce 2X, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€278.95
    Samsung SH-222BB schwarz|€16.83
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 3 6GB/s|€69.29
    Cooler Master Elite 431 RC-431K-KWN1 Midi-Tower - pure black, ohne Netzteil|€40.12
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.75
    MSI Z77A-G45, Intel Z77, ATX, DDR3|€105.84
    Cooler Master CM Storm Inferno Mouse, USB|€39.99
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€88.90
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€985.50

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Wow, appreciate all the suggestions Irishmetalhead!

Would I notice a difference between the cheaper parts or is it one of those things which will never affect me?

Also, my friend just built his computer with an AMD GPU. Do people have preferences between the one ive picked and the AMD's? Ive seen both good and bad reviews about Nividias 660Ti.

Hopefully ordering this week :D

Sorry about the late reply also

Well at the time I advised the 660 ti because it was the best card at that price point, but AMD just lowered there prices and now the 7950 is the same price as 660 ti and the 7950 is faster but thinking about it I don't think you need such a high end GPU I think you be better off with a 7870 which is about €55 less then the 660 ti and isn't much slower at all around 3% difference in some games at 1080p and I would advise using that extra money on a SSD.
    Lastly the cheaper comonents shouldn't effect you in the slightest since there still fairly expensive to budget level components and are still high grade quality components it's just that you originally picked components with features that you simply don't need.
    Also with the recent price changes and stock availiblity I would make the slight adjustments:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€208.05
    ARCTIC COOLING CPU-Kühler Freezer i30|€28.81
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance blau PC3-12800U CL9|€36.71
    MSI Z77A-G45, Intel Z77, ATX, DDR3|€106.33
    Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€215.00
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€88.03
    LogiLink SATA Anschlusskabel mit Sicherungslasche, 0.5m|€1.37
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 3 6GB/s|€67.07
    Cooler Master Elite 431 RC-431K-KWN1 Midi-Tower - pure black, ohne Netzteil|€39.34
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€54.98
    Cooler Master CM Storm Inferno Mouse, USB|€39.99
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€81.89
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€986.56

Note I added the non-English version of Windows, Download the English software (I think you can get it off Microsoft themselves if you explain to them you have a key) and just use the Product Key.

Cheers again Irishmetalhead, more great advice! I see your point about compromising on the GPU for a ssd, should have a major impact on boot times for when i just want to pop on for a bit to trawl boards:D.

Another thing which popped into my head, only because my friend just had this problem, was that I will only be able to connect to wifi with the computer for now. Would something like this do the job ok? Ive heard that the usb ones aren't all that great especcially when considering im a bit of a distance from the router.

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/PCI/42568/LogiLink+Wireless+LAN+300+Mbps+PCI+Karte+802.11n+2T2R.article

This one seems to tick the boxes?

that card seems completely fine but I dunno where you heard that usb ones arn't great, i've had a couple before and there pretty much the exact same as pci ones considering wifi has a bandwidth cap thats well below n300 which is the fastest wireless standard atm (apart from asus's new wireless standard) both pci and usb wifi cards are the exact same just one is internal ones external litterally the only difference altho pci ones usually are cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Have to thought about power line adapters.. They would be better for gaming than wireless. Like an Ethernet connection.. And you can get them at a decent price off amazon like ~35 quid

that card seems completely fine but I dunno where you heard that usb ones arn't great, i've had a couple before and there pretty much the exact same as pci ones considering wifi has a bandwidth cap thats well below n300 which is the fastest wireless standard atm (apart from asus's new wireless standard) both pci and usb wifi cards are the exact same just one is internal ones external litterally the only difference altho pci ones usually are cheaper

I think for neatness sake the internal type might satisfy my ocd a bit better! Ive just read some stuff online, cant even think where and also I know that my friends usb one is shocking. Then again, it might just be a basic one.
    U_Fig wrote: »
    Have to thought about power line adapters.. They would be better for gaming than wireless. Like an Ethernet connection.. And you can get them at a decent price off amazon like ~35 quid

Now there is something that ive never even heard of before surprisingly! Thats a great idea, could I expect speeds as good as an ethernet connection? Any major disadvantages? I think this might solve my friends issues as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Not quite as good as a proper, dedicated ethernet connection but much better than wireless in most cases. Disadvantage would be that they can be known to cause radio interference (if you have equipment right next to them or maybe the lines).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Monotype wrote: »
    Not quite as good as a proper, dedicated ethernet connection but much better than wireless in most cases. Disadvantage would be that they can be known to cause radio interference (if you have equipment right next to them or maybe the lines).

And unless you have passthrough plugs u will loose a plug..not a major problem tho..

Hello again lads, just trying to order the parts here but the mobo is out of stock:mad:

Are there any similar ones?

This one is a little more expensive..

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=57456&agid=1601

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could just get the next one up:
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/57132/MSI+Z77A-GD55%2C+Intel+Z77%2C+ATX%2C+DDR3.article

Edit: In the list above, that looks like an eSATA cable in the picture but it doesn't say that in the description so I assume the picture is wrong.

So I ordered everything last sunday and the payment went through on Tuesday morning and the order status was changed to cleared for delivery. Everything was green when i ordered apart from the mobo which seems to have come into stock as promised on tuesday.

Now though I'm after noticing that the case is out of stock until the 4th of November which could mean up to a month before I get anything.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Midi/54106/Cooler+Master+Elite+431+RC-431K-KWN1+Midi-Tower+-+pure+black%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article

Is it worth emailing them to try and negotiate changing the case or anything? Ive read on here that they can be tough to deal with.

Or am I best to just hang on and hope they have one put away for me, lol!

was it out of stock when you put your order in or after? because they hold stock for you after you put the order in so it's ready to ship out after payment has gone through

It went out of stock after, so I should be safe then hopefully:D

My order status says:

'Due to your payment the order was cleared for delivery.'

This appeared on tuesday and hasn't changed since.

if it didn't go out of stock till after you ordered then there should be one set aside for yourself

if it didn't go out of stock till after you ordered then there should be one set aside for yourself

Nice one! Thanks again Irishmetalhead!

After what seemed like an eternity, ive finally gotten my delivery of goodies! Im stupidly excited about getting it all up and running now!

I wanted to ask a question related to Windows though. I've bought my copy through hardwareversand and I believe that I can use this product key but I need to download an English version of Windows.

I've downloaded the Windows HP SP1 from this post and the installer from this post;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76705846&postcount=24

If I pop this on a usb key will I be able to install Windows correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

cedan wrote: »
    After what seemed like an eternity, ive finally gotten my delivery of goodies! Im stupidly excited about getting it all up and running now!

I wanted to ask a question related to Windows though. I've bought my copy through hardwareversand and I believe that I can use this product key but I need to download an English version of Windows.

I've downloaded the Windows HP SP1 from this post and the installer from this post;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76705846&postcount=24

If I pop this on a usb key will I be able to install Windows correctly?

Yes, you will if you use the Microsoft tool to make your USB bootable.

Advertisement