Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Done Aniar!

Options
  • 28-09-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Big congrats to all the team in Aniar.

After winning Best Restaurant in Connacht only a month ago, they've just won a Michelin Star. One and only in Galway City. Well done. Proved all the naysayers wrong.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Massive achievement, I can't even imagine the high they are all felling right now.

Serious work put in by JP, Drigin, Enda, Alex, Jeremy, Conor and Zsolt and the rest of the Eat, Cava and Aniar lads over the last year.

Getting a Michelin star is like winning the world cup, it means you are one of the elite few, one of the best restaurants in the world.

Delighted for them, hard work and balls paying off!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Excellent work. That place really is excellent. I had a table booked for tonight but the other cancalled :(

Harsh.

I hope they don't increase prices on the back of this.

Will be hard get a table from Thursday to sunday for the next few months I'd say.

I'd imagine you missed a few free glasses of fizz tonight Jimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hmm, should probably visit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Serious wow!

Enda is a fantastic chef, i'm delighted for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I haven't been yet, and with the Michelin * maybe I never will...

Superb achievement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've never heard of this place.

Where is it?

Dominick Street. Next door to Cava (owned by the same people).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was there about a month ago. It was absolutely magnificent. Fair play to them this is a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

100% agree magnificent achievement and a great tribute to all involved.
    It's especially impressive as ot has been achieved in a few short years.
    From the moment it opened I have never had a bad meal there I hope now they continue to be progressive and don't try to hold onto the star at all costs.

• Advertisement

ted2767 wrote: »
    I hope now they continue to be progressive and don't try to hold onto the star at all costs.

Exactly, a lot of places fall into a trap of rather than trying to get better and better just trying to retain a star and then end up going backwards.

Thorntons in Dublin being an example, they even lost their second star in the process.

Missed this the other day but just wanted to say congratulation to everyone at EatGalway and specifically Aniar one being awarded the prize for Best Restaurant in Ireland at the National Hospitality Awards the other day.

Fresh from being awarded their first Michelin Star a few weeks ago and Food & Wine Magazine's Best in Connaught award this is another massive achievement for them and well deserved.

Congrats to JP, Drigin, Enda and the rest of the team.

Doing Galway proud!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/michelinstarred-restaurant-aniar-named-best-in-country-3270038.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So Best Restaurant in Connacht, a Michelin Star and now Best Restaurant in Ireland.
    Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

So I was supposed go the night they got a Michelin Star but didn't, and now my friends have a table booked for tonight with a voucher I bought them.

Blargh!

Jim wrote: »
    So I was supposed go the night they got a Michelin Star but didn't, and now my friends have a table booked for tonight with a voucher I bought them.

Blargh!

bastards!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I ate there on friday.

I had woodpigeon to start. I think it was about 12.50.

This starter doesn't look much from the picture... I think I caught it at a bad angle but it was divine. This little taster was one of the finest tasting plates of food I have ever been served.

Radish, mushroom and a buttermilk foam with a turnip green puree. The balance of flavours was fantastic. As I mixed and matched morsels everything worked so well. Each combination added more layers to the taste.

227146.JPG

My main was venison with quince, beetroot puree and a reduced stock. This was 32 euro. The venison was cooked perfectly medium rare. The beetroot worked quite well with the venison. For me the quince wasn't amazing but it was still excellent. I think there were a total of 5 options on the menu for a main that day and all of them sounded excellent.

227147.JPG

They mentioned that they have a 4 course tasting menu for around 52 euro I think.... They add accompanying wines to each course for another 20 euro per person. I will try that at some point in the future. I guess the pricing makes it somewhat reserved for special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I wonder what my chances are of getting a table there for this coming Saturday.

Left it too late to book I think.....:(

I wonder what my chances are of getting a table there for this coming Saturday.

Left it too late to book I think.....:(

Give them a bell now, you'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Have the prices gone up since the star?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

jenno86 wrote: »
    Have the prices gone up since the star?

They've not gone up but they've always been pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I really look forward to trying the food there but anywhere that tries to serve me a "foam" of something doesn't bode well, I want food not bubbles goddammit!

I really look forward to trying the food there but anywhere that tries to serve me a "foam" of something doesn't bode well, I want food not bubbles goddammit!

the foam is a sauce... it compliments the dish, it's not the main dish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Seaneh wrote: »
    the foam is a sauce... it compliments the dish, it's not the main dish...

Yeah I do realise that but thanks for pointing out the obvious. Foam just doesn't sound attractive as part of a meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Yeah I do realise that but thanks for pointing out the obvious. Foam just doesn't sound attractive as part of a meal.

Yeah but its €12 starter Foam, so it must be good.

Yeah but its €12 starter Foam, so it must be good.

From the best restaurant in Ireland who were just awarded a Michelin star.

€12 for a starter in a restaurant at that level is an absolute bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

From the best restaurant in Ireland who were just awarded a Michelin star.

€12 for a starter in a restaurant at that level is an absolute bargain.

Could not agree more would have thought most other restaurants of this standard would be double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If it tastes good to you, it tastes good, and is worth whatever money you deem appropriate for the experience and the food.
    At the end of the day we are eating the food not the star!

inisboffin wrote: »
    If it tastes good to you, it tastes good, and is worth whatever money you deem appropriate for the experience and the food.
    At the end of the day we are eating the food not the star!

The star is awarded for the quality of the food.
    The star indicates that the food is up there with the best restaurants in the world.

Given the company they keep in the world of Michelin stars they are relatively cheap, in fact, the fact that you can get a 3 course dinner for less than €50 in a michelin starred kitchen is phenomenal value.

The fact that you can get a 4 course tasting menu from between €45 and €55 (depending on the menu on the night) is insanity by michelin starred pricing standards.

You aren't eating the star, but the star was awarded for a reason. The food is exceptional.

Could not agree more would have thought most other restaurants of this standard would be double the price.

Well, put it this way, 2 courses in L'Ecrivain currently runs at €55. And most of the other starred restaurants in Ireland don't display prices on their websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Well, put it this way, 2 courses in L'Ecrivain currently runs at €55. And most of the other starred restaurants in Ireland don't display prices on their websites.

Do you have some affiliation to Aniar?

Advertisement