Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain next summer

Options
  • 28-09-2012 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Thinking about living in Spain next summer to improve Spanish, does anyone know how hard it is to get a job there now? Any recommendations of jobs I could apply for? Has anyone done anything similar?
    I wanna job that involves dealing with Spanish as opposed to foreigners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Thinking about living in Spain next summer to improve Spanish, does anyone know how hard it is to get a job there now? Any recommendations of jobs I could apply for? Has anyone done anything similar?
    did I not hear that spain has 25% general unemployment ?
    for young people 50% ?

I presume getting a random unskilled job is not the easiest in Spain now to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

EdenHazard wrote: »

you really need to narrow things down a bit, what experiance have you. What level of Spanish do you speak? Least not forget that there are over one million Spanish speakers here who are unemployed all with Native Spanish.... Also where? Spain is a big Country

• Registered Users Posts: 6 liblah

just moved to Barcelona, its extremely hard to get a job here and an apartment,
    some places require 2 months rent deposit, a months rent for the agency, 50-100€ for the contract and then a months rent to get you going, and thats before you move anything into the house, unless you plan on moving into a room in an apartment that somebody already has.
    And if your young (under 26) most agencies will require you to have a parent in spain for security/contract reasons. its flippin ludicrous.
    Havn't heard of anyone successfully getting a job that isnt teaching english ,the at home grind way.
    If your qualified at something or know somebody you stand a chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

did I not hear that spain has 25% general unemployment ?
    for young people 50% ?

I presume getting a random unskilled job is not the easiest in Spain now to be honest!
    by george, I did hear right

From Eurostat, the statistics dept of the European Commission
    General unemployment is 25.1 % in Spain and youth isnt 50%,
    Its actually a shade higher at 52.9 %
    see http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics for more details.

(For the fun of it, you can compare it to areas of Germany, say Ingolstadt where Audis are made general unemployment is currently 2.1%, Freising near Munich Airport is 2.0%. Munich is somewhat worse with 4% which is something like the figure Ireland had at the height of the boom.
    http://www.regierung.oberbayern.bayern.de/oberbayern/zahlen/02767/index.php )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

liblah wrote: »
    just moved to Barcelona, its extremely hard to get a job here and an apartment,
    some places require 2 months rent deposit, a months rent for the agency, 50-100€ for the contract and then a months rent to get you going, and thats before you move anything into the house, unless you plan on moving into a room in an apartment that somebody already has.
    And if your young (under 26) most agencies will require you to have a parent in spain for security/contract reasons. its flippin ludicrous.
    Havn't heard of anyone successfully getting a job that isnt teaching english ,the at home grind way.
    If your qualified at something or know somebody you stand a chance...

Noticed the teaching English bit, is there still much work for English teachers in Barcelona?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Might be useful...

http://www.jobsinspain.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Agree with all of the above.
    You are not picking a good time to try to find work in Spain.
    Spanish tend to pick their own quicker than a foreigner for jobs even if they are lesser skilled.
    Also dialect can vary dramatically in Spain, just as much if not more than in Ireland so you must keep that in mind as well.
    My advice would be to make sure you bring enough money to survive for a couple of months and check apt lets and even small hotel deals for your accomodation so to get the lay of the land.
    But before you go if you want to immerse yourself in the language and the culture at least have a reasonable grasp of the language basics before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

Just for the summer? Not going to make the employers very happy. Go to some touristic English speaking areas and you might find work in bars or getting people into clubs with the summer trade.
    Working directly with spanish speakers? I presume you have a good level of spanish, if not now is not the time for work here. I will add that besides the high unemployment the wages are quite poorly paid.

Typical admin will earn 14,000-18,000 a year.
    A pharmacist will be very lucky to earn 25,000 a year(no matter how much years of experience they have).
    English teachers can earn typically 1,000(at the start)-2,000(after developing a network) a month for at least 9 months of the year - can also choose to not declare all their income too.
    Public sector jobs can pay decent(compared to the cost of living as well as regarding job security).

There is a fair amount of black money going on in the private sector and I've seen that in low to high skilled professions.(Did I hear somebody say "Greece"?)

Advertisement