Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to Aniar Galway and Lock's Brasserie, Ireland's newest Michelin Stars!

Options
  • 28-09-2012 3:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Aniar restaurant Galway and Lock's Brasserie Dublin were both awarded their first Michelin Stars on Thursday September 27th.

Well deserved.

Just wanted to say well done to them all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Don't forget Locks Brasserie !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

foodaholic wrote: »
    Don't forget Locks Brasserie !

Wasn't privy to that piece of info, but would have included them.

Maybe a mod could edit the title to include them, they deserve just as much praise!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

My friend, a fellow chef, worked in Locks for the past few months and was shocked they received a star. He claims they actually buy in their ice cream and a vast majority of their breads.

This type of information makes you lose a little faith in the whole Michelin system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lemsiper wrote: »
    My friend, a fellow chef, worked in Locks for the past few months and was shocked they received a star. He claims they actually buy in their ice cream and a vast majority of their breads.

This type of information makes you lose a little faith in the whole Michelin system.

if they are buying quality ice cream and quality bread, what's the issue?

How is that different to buying say pre-smoked meats or fish? Which a lot of Michelin starred kitchens do.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Because stars are awarded for certain levels of skill and creativity during the preparation of the food - right from the bread to the petit fours. Anyone can buy in quality, ready-made products etc. and run a successful restaurant.

Creativity is also another one of the criteria that should be met when being considered for such an honour. Would you call the purchasing of finished articles being creative?

Obviously there are certain times when it's necessary to utilise the products to achieve certain flavours and textures that may not viable in certain kitchens for one reason or another.

In my current establishment we've used these products, but often we will try to replicate and indeed improve on the original. Then again, we were not in search of such awards this year.

Basically, I believe it devalues the whole system to a certain extent. But hey, Sebastien has put a lot of capital into Locks and it certainly does produce some of the best cuisine in Dublin, although, without using ingredients that set it apart, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Because stars are awarded for certain levels of skill and creativity during the preparation of the food - right from the bread to the petit fours. Anyone can buy in quality, ready-made products etc. and run a successful restaurant.

And yet, three Michelin star restaurants do it and publicly admit to doing it, and nobody bats an eyelash:

Gordon Ramsay and Heston Blumenthal both use(d) Artisan du Chocolate chocolates (see here).

Giles Goujon gets a local baker to supply all his bread (see here)

If Lock's are buying bread in from the Bretzel Bakery in Portobello (I don't know if they are btw, but they're just around the corner and it's seriously good bread...) then I personally wouldn't have a problem with that. Quality is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Although I'm sure everything is taken into account when handing out stars, how important really are bread and ice-cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Galwayfoodie

I've eaten in Aniar a few times and I've done their cookery course and I have to say that they're producing the most interesting food in Galway. Well deserved I'm delighted for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

I was at Lock years ago when Troy Maguire was there.

Might need to go back and check it out again.

Thanks for the updates

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

I'm delighted for Locks but also hope that this won't mean they will increase their prices. Currently their earlybird menu is fantastic value and this was the place I would always take people when they came over from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Delighted for Locks ate there for the first time a few months back and was very impressed by the place, when we arrived we sat down at the bar ordered a drink and the whole menu was explained to us, from the type of meat to the way it is prepared and cooked, ended up ordering something that I would never have ordered if I was left to myself (Slow cooked duck eggs). It was seriously delicious.

As for the Ice Cream and Bread, had both and don't care if they make it themselves it was very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

cmssjone wrote: »
    I'm delighted for Locks but also hope that this won't mean they will increase their prices. Currently their earlybird menu is fantastic value and this was the place I would always take people when they came over from the UK.

This is a quotation from last Saturday's Irish Times:

The first year was “difficult financially”, Masi says. But as it’s outside the city centre, he was paying a third of the rent he had paid on his Merrion Street restaurant, Pearl Brasserie.

“Its never been the idea to get a star,” he says, insisting that the €22 for two courses on week nights would stay in place this year.

Full story here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/0928/1224324530690.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

On a different note, here is AA Gill's assessment of Michelin : http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/11/whats-wrong-with-the-michelin-guide

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I ate in Lock's last year. It was mainly very good, but not at the standard I would have expected of Michelin. To be honest, I am surprised at the awarding of the star. I'm sure that the chefs and the whole team there has worked very hard so I'm glad they have recognition, but I'm not convinced overall.

The clear contender for a Michelin star is The Greenhouse, but I presume that it hasn't been open long enough for the the inspectors to make enough visits.

I haven't visited Aniar, but I've been meaning to make a food visit to Galway for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Dying to go to the greenhouse

Advertisement