Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Hello Hoser expat, thanks for the link! I had a quick look and it's chalk full of good info. This is the kind of thing I am looking for so we can make an informed decision on whether we should make the move or not. In terms of healthcare, my husband is an EU citizen so he can use the social healthcare system there. By the time we get there I will have under a year to wait to become an EU citizen so I can use it as well thereafter. We're both pretty healthy people so I'm not too worried about that. Being here in the US, as I'm sure you know, even with insurance healthcare can be $$$. It's the income taxes, as you mention that will be the deciding factor.

The communities you mention would be my ideal place to settle there but as you said, the commute might not be the best. That's why I figured Clontarf would be a happy medium.

As we find out more, I will definitely PM you because I have a ton of questions and I'm sure I'll have more as things move forward. Thank you so much for your help! :)

No worries on the info....you need to make an informed decision.

Not sure how you figure you can become an EU citizen in less than a year. In Ireland you need to be legally resident for 5 years, or 3 years if your spouse is an Irish citizen. Also don't rely on the social health system....it's quite poor in Ireland.

the good news is that immigration for you is relatively easy. If your spouse is an EU citizen (not Irish though), you basically arrive at the airport and announce you're staying. Spouse has to find work within a certain amount of time though. You as a US citizen will have to register with the immigration authorities. Fairly painless though (at least compared to US immigration).

All that said, I wouldn't come to Ireland unless the job is solid, and pays at least 80,000 Euro. I almost doubled my salary by moving to Ireland, but pretty much have the same standard of living as I had in northern NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres roselawn shopping centre bout a mile from clonsilla, the blanchardstown centre is about ten mins drive from there,the best shopping centre in dublin ,with free parking .
    Rent a house with front steel gates,3 ft plus high , that way you can lock them at night to secure your car .
    Unfortunately car theft is common in all areas of dublin.
    make sure car has alarm,and a good lock, ie steering wheel lock.
    Even with a healthcare plan here, healthcare is much cheaper ,here,
    in the usa 1 or 2 days in hospital is 1000,s of dollars.Sign up for private healthcare ,eg vhi or other provider.
    i,d say to any female,visitor, dont walk round city centre with a handbag ,theres a good chance it,ll
    get taken,
    dont put money,phone,purse, credit cards,keys, in a handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Don't give up on Clontarf just yet. It's a lovely area, has plenty of nice shops and restaurants, a cycle track running along the coast and is not that big a deal, commuting to Ballycoolin. I lived there for 5 years and would love to move back but couldn't afford to buy a house there.

If I was renting, it is the one place in Dublin I would be looking at.

Clontarfs a great area, but is it worth driving 50 minutes there,another 50 back ,mon-friday,in heavy traffic.
    NOT EXACTLY good for the environment.co2 emmissions etc
    clonsilla,s 15 mins cycle from ballycoolin .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

riclad wrote: »
    Theres roselawn shopping centre bout a mile from clonsilla, the blanchardstown centre is about ten mins drive from there,the best shopping centre in dublin ,with free parking .
    Rent a house with front steel gates,3 ft plus high , that way you can lock them at night to secure your car .
    Unfortunately car theft is common in all areas of dublin.
    make sure car has alarm,and a good lock, ie steering wheel lock.
    Even with a healthcare plan here, healthcare is much cheaper ,here,
    in the usa 1 or 2 days in hospital is 1000,s of dollars.Sign up for private healthcare ,eg vhi or other provider.
    i,d say to any female,visitor, dont walk round city centre with a handbag ,theres a good chance it,ll
    get taken,
    dont put money,phone,purse, credit cards,keys, in a handbag

Sorry but I think this advice about women's handbags is scaremongering of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sorry but I think this advice about women's handbags is scaremongering of the highest order.

Exactly. Obviously you need to be careful and dont do anything stupid, which could be said of any city in the world, but its hardly like you walk around Dublin watching people getting mugged left right and center...

On the topic of hybrid cars; do not rush out and buy a Prius or whatever based just on the notion that they are better cars/will save you money or whatever. Look into buying cars with an open mind, evaluate it properly based on your needs (ie if you are going to be doing high mileage then a diesel would be a far better option) and decide what car is best for you. If your mileage isnt huge then there are plenty of small second hand cars available that will cost less overall to buy and run than something like a Prius.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

djimi wrote: »
    Exactly. Obviously you need to be careful and dont do anything stupid, which could be said of any city in the world, but its hardly like you walk around Dublin watching people getting mugged left right and center...
    Indeed, the girl was college student in New York and came out unscathed. So I doubt she needs any tips on staying safe in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Girl About Town FoodieEdition

Ballycoolin is in the Dublin 15 area of Dublin. There is a fairly lively forum for D15ers over here >>>>>>>>
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=993
    Feel free to ask any questions over here!

Thanks Diddler! I'll follow the forum :)

No worries on the info....you need to make an informed decision.

Not sure how you figure you can become an EU citizen in less than a year. In Ireland you need to be legally resident for 5 years, or 3 years if your spouse is an Irish citizen. Also don't rely on the social health system....it's quite poor in Ireland.

the good news is that immigration for you is relatively easy. If your spouse is an EU citizen (not Irish though), you basically arrive at the airport and announce you're staying. Spouse has to find work within a certain amount of time though. You as a US citizen will have to register with the immigration authorities. Fairly painless though (at least compared to US immigration).

All that said, I wouldn't come to Ireland unless the job is solid, and pays at least 80,000 Euro. I almost doubled my salary by moving to Ireland, but pretty much have the same standard of living as I had in northern NY.

Hello Hoser, what I meant when I said I would be an EU citizen in less than a year is that by the time we arrive in Ireland we will have been married over two years and according to Italian immigration law, (unless we have a child before, then it's immediate after a year and a half of marriage) I can become a citizen after 3 years of marriage, thereby making me an EU citizen as well. We had planned to do it from here anyhow.

I'm going to PM you soon! Thanks again :D

• Advertisement

@riclad I'm a pretty street smart girl and as Seamus said, I spent 4 years in NYC. I've seen it all and I'm not easily intimidated. However, I appreciate the forethought. :)

Thanks again to everyone for your input. I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My cousin's a nurse and does cover admin work in Castleknock - she's had to turn down work. Lots of new practices - she covers Oakwood Clinic and they have a job option there (she is a midwife in background)

I still think that's be the place for you. Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I live further into Blanchardstown but that's because I don't have children etc so don't need schools but do need a fast link into the city. WIth Castleknock, you've got the largest park in Europe on your doorstep and also a real villagely feel, was down there for lunch today and really nice set of boutiques, restaurants etc. Now you couldn't walk to Ballycoolin but many of the Multinationals have commuter buses and it's literally v short in the car.

There was a program on ,joe duffy, last week,
    it was about people getting robbed in the city centre.
    Seem to be mostly women getting handbags or purses stolen,there was at least 20 people going to pearse st station every day to report it.
    And probably some dont bother reporting a robbery.

i think in nyc theres more cops on the streets ,at least in areas where the tourists go .
    i dont think its scaremongering to report a fact,
    theres a certain group that go to city centre every day to rob people ,they might run up and grab your bag,the chances of getting it back is close to zero.
    its a fact in dublin ,if you have a good car, you, will
    need a car alarm or at least some type of car lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Seem to be mostly women getting handbags or purses stolen,there was at least 20 people going to pearse st station every day to report it.

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEE Duffy. Enough said. It's scaremongering.

Go have a look at this to read: http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-ranked-26th-best-place-to-live-in-the-world-292789-Nov2011/

Dublin 26th best city to live in in the world, 16th safest. I guarantee you, you're just scaremongering.

If you have a car in most places, you will need a lock and alarm on your car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just in case the OP's not aware who Joe Duffy is, he's the national radio whinge-merchant, generally taking calls from little old ladies who are upset that the bus driver was rude to them or busybodies complaining that their neighbour is parading around in a t-shirt and showing off his tattoos.

Any conversation which starts with "I heard on Joe Duffy" is likely to be full of moans and nonsense.

theres a certain group that go to city centre every day to rob people ,they might run up and grab your bag,the chances of getting it back is close to zero.

In fairness its hardly a stunning statistic to say that crime happens in a big city. Bag snatching at the likes happens in every city, in every country in the world. Provided people are careful and sensible then there should be very little risk involved. I would imagine a large number of bags that get snatched are left on seats not being properly watched etc. Some people practically leave a sign on their bag asking for it to be taken with the way they dont watch their belongnings...

You need to lock and alarm a car? Well I for one am shocked... :p

If you have a good car and it is not properly secured then you are asking for it to be nicked. Again that is true of every town and city around this and every other country.

Sounds like Joe Duffy is Ireland's version of Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh in the states. :p I also spent a lot of time in Mexico surrounded by the drug war in my Mom's city and I survived. If something is meant to happen, it will happen. No matter where in the world you are.

@amtc I will PM you :)

thanks again everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Driving Update: Yep moved from California had to resit her test. She mentioned the Irish test was much harder than what she had to do in the US.

Irish Health system is grand if you ever need to avail of it. Yep is you get pissed, fall over and hurt yourself you are going to be waiting hours but its fine as an emergency fall back.

Advertisement