Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 5 - "The Angels Take Manhatten"

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Wasn't it something like "Amelia's Final Farewell"?

To who though?
    River, Rory, Doctor or Normal Life? could mean anything

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Wasn't it something like "Amelia's Final Farewell"?

That could mean anything, Amelia's final farewell to a puppy she just met, etc. I think that's the point people were trying to make.

Regardless, the logic to this one was a bit rough and unMoffatlike imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

He couldn't rescue them because 1 he read their names on the head stones creating 1 fixed point and 2 Amy wrote that they'd never seen each other again. Since he read it thats his future hence why he wouldn't let amy read that book.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

He couldn't rescue them because 1 he read their names on the head stones creating 1 fixed point and 2 Amy wrote that they'd never seen each other again. Since he read it thats his future hence why he wouldn't let amy read that book.

Once again, they disproved this in the very same episode- the Doctor never broke Rivers hand, despite them reading that.

Once again, they disproved this in the very same episode- the Doctor never broke Rivers hand, despite them reading that.

They never said that he did actually break her hand. They had the exact conversation as read from the book, he stopped Amy reading further but that passage played out perfectly as in the book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Yeah, Amy said he's going to break "something". Never clarified what that "something" was. The Doctor assumed it was her wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

The quote was "buy why do you have to break mine" i do believe and thats what river said, then BAM broken wrist!

I definitely River's wrist that they were reading about but Amy never read that the Doctor actually broke her wrist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The wrists is never explicitly mentioned in the talking its like 'Whose wrist are you going to break, mine or its?' 'Oh no why do you have to break mine? Cos Amy read it in a book, now I have no choice'

Another timey wimey headache..if the Doctor now supposedly visits little Amelia on the night she waits for him, and tells her of the fantastic adventures they'd have together, surely she'd remember this as an adult then? As in when we meet Amy she should not be angry that the Doctor didn't come for her, because he Did, and he told her they'd travel together in the future. Furthermore she should have memories of being told about certain events in the series while she's living them, eg when she saved the star whale she should know already she'll save it because the Doctor told her as much?

I suppose we get this from Amy's afterword so we don't know what he actually says to her, but we Do see him visit Amelia so at the very least the whole childhood of thinking she was abandoned by him etc shouldn't have happened?

Time travel hurts my head :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

It hurts all of our heads, god job it's not real (or is it!).

Like you said, you could argue that the Doctor did visit her, but didn't give her all of those spoilers. And you could also argue that he could visit her, say 'Hi', and then say, 'I'll be back in a few mins', and *then* she has to wait, as he never comes back? It's a leap, but it would fit...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Good enough episode, all the wibbly wobbly mess it caused gave me a headache but instead of trying to figure it all out I went with it and just thought the Ponds got a good send of (one they deserved)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Just had the heartbreaking realisation that there's no episode tonight!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*bit of an aside* I have to say Matt Smith is growing on me as an actor in the role. TBH (and I mentioned it early on) I didn't find him... let's say comfortable in the role, indeed I AA Gill's critique echoed my own, but IMHO he's come on in major leaps and bounds for me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He's good at the comic stuff, though the "shapes" he throws can be a bit jarring at times, but he's come on hugely for the serious, emotional stuff, as did Amy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I remember a lot of criticism at the start that his dramatic acting wasn't much cop & to be fair, he was a little unconformable with that element. Don't think that can still be said, his work lately with the more emotional material has been pretty stellar; he was always brilliant at the comic stuff though.

Mind you, the idea of a multi-Doctor story, featuring Eccles, Tennant & Smith all emoting at each other fills me with some dread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I don't know if anyone's seen the P.S video (didn't see it mentioned on the thread) but until I watched it I felt like something was missing from the episode. I genuinely felt they'd just forgotten about Rory's Dad.
    It's a scene they never got to shoot, something to do with an actor availability. I cried more watching this that The Ponds farewell tbh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zn6ff

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Bubblefett wrote: »
    I cried more watching this that The Ponds farewell tbh.

Same.

Thanks for posting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Advertisement