Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 5 on sale today

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Music is mentioned a lot here .... Don't know why people are not using services like WE7/Deezer/Spotify (alright not strictly available here).

For €10 a month you can listen/stream/download to smartphone just about any music you want. And it's legal.
    Never use iTunes (or windows if I had Android) ... use dropbox/spotify (US version so $10)/netflix/sky go

Don't get the Android V Apple ... you can be sure that people are only using about 50% of a smartphone's potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I don't like either. Windows phone ftw!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Music is mentioned a lot here .... Don't know why people are not using services like WE7/Deezer/Spotify (alright not strictly available here).

For €10 a month you can listen/stream/download to smartphone just about any music you want. And it's legal.
    Never use iTunes (or windows if I had Android) ... use dropbox/spotify (US version so $10)/netflix/sky go

Don't get the Android V Apple ... you can be sure that people are only using about 50% of a smartphone's potential.

and for €0 a month you can just install a torrent client on your phone. oh I forgot its trendy to pay the mega corporations again these days

eth0 wrote: »
    and for €0 a month you can just install a torrent client on your phone. oh I forgot its trendy to pay the mega corporations again these days

Mega corporations who in turn pay musicians .... by the way I wouldn't call Spotify/Deezer/We7 mega corporations. (Apple don't get any of that €10 by the way).

If you think €10 a month is too much to pay for music - well that's your choice, nothing trendy/untrendy about it.

Don't go anywhere forren or are you happy to pay for the roaming?

Pay the roaming though with wifi in so many places now I mostly just use the Skype app and rarely make calls on the network when I'm abroad.

• Advertisement

Pay the roaming though with wifi in so many places now I mostly just use the Skype app and rarely make calls on the network when I'm abroad.

Wifi isn't what it used to be. A few years ago I could just go into a residential area and find an open network. Now most people are too paranoid to run an open AP and the ones that are open are corporate-owned with a lousy registration/sign up/ web based disclaimer before you can use VoiP or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    While I slightly agree with the above, I'll argue that the iphone is a lot faster, more easier to use, offers a wider and better range of apps then any android phone I've ever used.
    )

Any of my friends that have used my S3 are amazed at how quick it is compared to their 4Ss. It's no contest, yes the 5 is marginally faster in benchmarks.

They also love the drag and drop and all of them hate iTunes with a passion but put up with it because they can't figure out the Android OS for some reason? All of them carry an MP3 play for their music than use iTunes though and only use it to back up their phones.

On the apps front, everything decent on the App store is on Android. The S3 can wirelessly sync to any windows PC though WiFi or any Android tab plus there is Dropbox. It's not iPhone exclusive.

Wifi isn't what it used to be. A few years ago I could just go into a residential area and find an open network

That's called Sponging.

Wifi isn't what it used to be. A few years ago I could just go into a residential area and find an open network. Now most people are too paranoid to run an open AP and the ones that are open are corporate-owned with a lousy registration/sign up/ web based disclaimer before you can use VoiP or anything

I was in the US a few months ago and between the wifi in my hotel and standing outside any Starbucks or McDonalds and use their wifi I was rarely without it.

I was in the US a few months ago and between the wifi in my hotel and standing outside any Starbucks or McDonalds and use their wifi I was rarely without it.

Is there any web based thing before you can use them or just plain honest to god open wifi access points? Here even the mcdonalds have voucher based logins that time out. They're not into sharing around here so much

• Advertisement

There are a few security risks with leaving your AP open though, so it's understandable to not want to leave it closed. It's a pity that WiMAX isn't being used to its full potential yet.

There are a few security risks with leaving your AP open though, so it's understandable to not want to leave it closed. It's a pity that WiMAX isn't being used to its full potential yet.

True. Most routers are fairly shoite for giving away free wifi without exposing yer own wired traffic for arp spoofin. Still anything worth its salt should probably be encrypted separately anyway

Is there any web based thing before you can use them or just plain honest to god open wifi access points? Here even the mcdonalds have voucher based logins that time out. They're not into sharing around here so much

I can't remember exactly but there wasn't much effort anyway as I used it regularly, it never timed out on me either but probably never use it more than 30 mins at a time.

True. Most routers are fairly shoite for giving away free wifi without exposing yer own wired traffic for arp spoofin. Still anything worth its salt should probably be encrypted separately anyway

Your average Joe Bloggs wouldn't know how to do that though. If WiMAX were used to its full potential, you could effectively have WiFi (almost) everywhere, without the worry of APs.

Your average Joe Bloggs wouldn't know how to do that though. If WiMAX were used to its full potential, you could effectively have WiFi (almost) everywhere, without the worry of APs.

It would be mighty, buy a Wimax AP and shtick an aerial on the roof for coverage as far as the eye could see. Unfortunately the governments and telcos have decided to prevent 'normal' people from running one. Also the cheapest AP still costs an arm and 3 legs

Imagine claim to be WiMAX, are they actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thankfully I only use my phone for calling and texting.

My laptop does everything else.

I wouldnt pay 700+ for all the little extras.

Well put my good man.

But I cant put my head around why people buy these phones? :confused: €679 / €789 / €899!? :eek:

If you've got a good income, why not. But if you are on an 'average' wage, or worse yet minimum wage you'd be mad to buy one of these...

But income aside. Do people really need to put out 679+ on a phone? Most people who'd buy the phone would have a desktop or laptop.

To the poster above, its just if ya have use for it.. I'm sitting in a cafe right now for an hour between classes. I love being able to take my phone out and sit on the internet during it. Worth every penny for the amount of time I've used it when I'd never have my laptop.

Or on my last motorbike trip, it was my camera, GPS and internet in the evening when there's nothing else to do in a dead town. I backpacked with a laptop, camera and phone before but I'll never do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

shovel wrote: »
    Serious question-such as?

(I am looking to buy my first smartphone)

Huaweii G300 Ascend is a decent smarthphone and only 120 euro.

You can do nearly everything an Iphone 5 can do for alot less.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/huawei-ascend-g300_Mobile-Phone_review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think people get too passionate one way or another about phones. I haven't used my mobile in nearly 2 months. Happy to get away from it for now.

From what I read about the new features of the IOS6 operating system the majority seemed to be in Android already. It's funny Apple sued Samsung and cited some things that were actually the OS which is Google not Samsung. I'd love to see them try to sue Google, they'd get counter sued and the empire would crumble.

The one I really like in the iPhone is the way to find the phone when it's lost.

The biggest upgrade in America for this version is 4G which has been around for a couple of years already.

Got to hand it to Apple, they are excellent at marketing, even when they release a complete turd like Apple Maps, Apple customers will stick up for them because they see themselves as some sort of elite group.

I'm looking forward to owning a MAC, but I'm not so sure about buying an iPhone or iPad. I think I'll wait a couple of years to buy a tablet. I like that the Surface looks like it will be more like a PC e.g. I can actually open it, tweak it and develop easily for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Wompa1 wrote: »
    From what I read about the new features of the IOS6 operating system the majority seemed to be in Android already.

The one I really like in the iPhone is the way to find the phone when it's lost.

Got to hand it to Apple, they are excellent at marketing, even when they release a complete turd like Apple Maps, Apple customers will stick up for them because they see themselves as some sort of elite group.

the feature of locating a lost phone has been on android for a number of years too, not sure how long it has been on iPhone but there are numerous apps for it on android anyway.

completely agree with your second point though. The amount of people talking about it, this new great phone, but I honestly have not heard one new innovative thing about it, other than it has a bigger screen. I'd like to see it myself and see how it works, but as been mentioned already, there is no way you could justify the cost of it. I've heard people say how it is worth it because of I06 and how easy and simple it is, but I dont know why you would pay more money, for a more basic and less spec on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Was there many isheeple queuing up for these tings around the country does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I do have a thing against iTunes, i just dont like it, with all the constant updates and its inability to play FLAC files.

I use WINAMP on both my phone and PC and it beats it hands down. Is Winamp available on an iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

bigger screen, compared to what? last iphone :D new OS,more like new apps integrated.Simple to use=humans going back to monkeys technology wise.for 800e you can buy a decent smart phone and a laptop with 15inch screen and i5 processor,but many iphone users must be to weak to carry extra weight as its 1.2kg,arms might fall off :D,anyway sheepple advertising is everything these days,and apples proves that you can sell a fridge to Eskimo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just sussed out how to use predictive text!!

Average Joe me bollox!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

bruschi wrote: »
    the feature of locating a lost phone has been on android for a number of years too, not sure how long it has been on iPhone but there are numerous apps for it on android anyway.

completely agree with your second point though. The amount of people talking about it, this new great phone, but I honestly have not heard one new innovative thing about it, other than it has a bigger screen. I'd like to see it myself and see how it works, but as been mentioned already, there is no way you could justify the cost of it. I've heard people say how it is worth it because of I06 and how easy and simple it is, but I dont know why you would pay more money, for a more basic and less spec on a phone.

Can you recommend an Android app for that? I wonder how the find me works on the new IOS6 with the f'd up maps now actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Can you recommend an Android app for that? I wonder how the find me works on the new IOS6 with the f'd up maps now actually!

Where's my Droid is the one I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

iPhone on sale today. Who gives a rat's ass? It will still be on sale tomorrow. And I won't give a rat's ass then either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

To the poster above, its just if ya have use for it.. I'm sitting in a cafe right now for an hour between classes. I love being able to take my phone out and sit on the internet during it. Worth every penny for the amount of time I've used it when I'd never have my laptop.

Or on my last motorbike trip, it was my camera, GPS and internet in the evening when there's nothing else to do in a dead town. I backpacked with a laptop, camera and phone before but I'll never do it again.

You don't have to pay 800e to do that though.

200e will get you all those features.

That's the point the poster above you was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheFruitarian

Doesn't even have an FM Radio ..

Yeah, yeah - you can get TuneIn, but you need to use your data plan for that,which can soon turn quite costly when streaming something like radio content for an hour or more a day.

Keep it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

iPhone on sale today. Who gives a rat's ass? It will still be on sale tomorrow. And I won't give a rat's ass then either.

So Monday then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I still won't give a rat's ass.

I still won't give a rat's ass.

I'll give a rat's ass. I'll leave on the two hind legs as well

RoverZT wrote: »
    You don't have to pay 800e to do that though.

200e will get you all those features.

That's the point the poster above you was making.

No it wasn't..

Well put my good man.

But I cant put my head around why people buy these phones? €679 / €789 / €899!?

If you've got a good income, why not. But if you are on an 'average' wage, or worse yet minimum wage you'd be mad to buy one of these...

But income aside. Do people really need to put out 679+ on a phone? Most people who'd buy the phone would have a desktop or laptop.

I just made a general point about smartphones and their uses for some people since it sounded like he was questioning why anyone would buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

summerskin wrote: »
    I do keep wondering about this. How exactly am I restricted on the iPhone? I can make calls, listen to music, browse the web, download tried and tested apps that won't kill the thing, take photos etc. What else would I want to do?

how about save numbers to a sim card without having to download an app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Seriously folks are you really all aspending all that time trying to defend your phone :pac:

Get a reality check because it doesn't make a difference as long as you can make a phone call send a text anything else.... is completely circumstantial...

Handy yes but really do you need it like "really really really want a fully customisable phone " do I need it? not really doesn't make an ounce of difference to how i like my life....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

There is a rabid obsession in Irish culture with phones. Yeah sure, I'm all for embracing the fact you can bounce a conversation against a satellite in space with mindless drivel that will ultimately amount to nothing.

But I admire the fervor, the panic, and the sweaty feverish need and want for a "shiny thing". It's unparalleled anywhere else in Europe. What is so special about iPhoams in Ireland? Slag much on your phone much? Probably.

And this whole thing of bringing the thing out in town. That's silly to the n'th degree. Are you asking to get mugged? You do know, iPhoams are as popular as Pollen Hash at an Electric Picnic concert don't you?

iPhoams are just silly and wrong.

But that said, China has a market where people can't afford them, yet still desperately want them, so a whole sub-culture has sprung up where elite Clontarf-based iPhoam factories sprung up to accommodate the issue. They are largely funded by insurance fraud types who then sell them on to Rich property owners, who then sell them on to their largely Asian tenants.

original.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

But I admire the fervor, the panic, and the sweaty feverish need and want for a "shiny thing". It's unparalleled anywhere else in Europe. What is so special about iPhoams in Ireland?

I think most of Europe suffers from fanboy'ism in more or less equal measure in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

But that said, China has a market where people can't afford them, yet still desperately want them, so a whole sub-culture has sprung up where elite Clontarf-based iPhoam factories sprung up to accommodate the issue. They are largely funded by insurance fraud types who then sell them on to Rich property owners, who then sell them on to their largely Asian tenants.

original.jpeg

I'm only back from working 3 weeks in Shanghai and I was amazed at how many people have smart phones, iPads and iPhones, in fact I was amazed at Shanghai as it wasn't what I expected its a very modern very developed city and although China would be regarded as having a largely poor population it certainly was not evident for a good proportion of population there. The place is very modern, clean with a great cheap transport system no graffiti and makes Dublin look like a hovel. I was installing some high end diagnostic equipment in a public hospital on the outskirts of Shanghai, a place that would not see many westerners and I was amazed at the standard of the hospital it would put many Irish hospitals to shame..

I was comparing the prices with Australia, a beer is about 6-10 $AUD and a genuine iPad was $100 more expensive than Australia as was genuine Beats by Dre Studio headphones. Sure you can go to the markets and buy fake iPhones and iPads along with other trending fake products like the Beats studio but my chinese colleague say that they wouldn't touch fake stuff because its crap. These guys are earning good money and would be well above the average for Shanghai but its like a 1/5 of what we earn in Australia at around $AUD 2k per month and property is not cheap either. Also Volkswagon, Audi and BMW are very popular cars, I was amazed at how many of them there was, like you get the old battered taxis and plenty of older cars or newer Chinese cars but I seen Lambos, Porches, Volvos plus the Bemmers and Audis of every description.

From what I can see is that Shanghai has a huge population of about 20 million and a good lump of them are pretty cashed up, I was flying business and most of the BC section were chinese at $4K for a return. Even though most of the 1.6bn population (especially in the rural areas) cant feed themselves there is still a small proportion of people who can afford lots.....compared to the west that small proportion is still a massive market.

*** btw went to a good electronics market on Thursday with one of my colleague's and they had the iPhone 5 smuggled in from Hong Kong and he was quoted $800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

judging by the posts and any one that I know that uses an android phone, an android phone really is just a poor mans iphone.

There is a reason why apple are so successful and that's because of their millions of customers and their innovation. Always have something new and better to offer then any other phone!

No matter what people say about the iphone, there is still going to be millions of customers waiting for the next iphone and the iphone after the next.
    Unlike android :rolleyes:

No android market will ever replace apples number 1 spot on the top most innovated companies :)

Apple are a marketing company first and foremost. They can shine **** and people will believe its the best **** ever and that Apple invented it.

Why do a lot of people buy apple ? Its a status symbol, they are used to the iPhone and don't want to have to learn a new system (remember when everyone had Nokias (3210s etc) and no-one could use any other phone? So they just bought a Nokia again?), people buy whats popular (if you say "I have an iPhone" everyone knows what it is, if you say "I have a Samsung Galaxy S3" most wont know what it is and usually wont question further)
    Always have something new and better to offer then any other phone!

Please look up the specs before talking crap. Better ? New ? What's new or better?

Apart from the new adapter. They are such awesome adapters. No other phone has such a cool adapter....

Pull your rose tinted overly expensive sub par Apple brand glasses out of your ass...

Research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Azure_sky wrote: »

ye that dudes got a beard and wearing hipster glass's Im gonna listen to him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

This post has been deleted.

iPhoam at the mouth when a new one comes out

Not in a good way. In an angry way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

yesterday popped into three before they closed to see the new :pac: so claimed and praised iphone 5,made me laugh or should i say sad,even smaller then its predecessors,Nokia n8 propably has wider screen.,as for anything else its same S**t packed in the same extended shell,and yet there are someone who will be scratching their pockets just to get it,ridiculous :cool:

Advertisement