Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the Donegalers on here, are you paying the Septic Tank charge?

Options
  • 28-09-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭

So today is the final day to get your tank registered for €5.

I know many will treat it like the household charge and refuse to register their tank (I think Donegal was one of the highest counties for non-registration of the HC).

So have you signed up, or will you be doing it before the day's out? I signed up last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I have no problem with the HC or the Septic Tank registration, and both have been paid. In regards to the STR, it's EU environmental policy that's required it, and I think it's fully justified. From what I've read, only a handful of tanks will actually be inspected.

EDIT: Here's the EPA website citing the relevant legislation & with a very thorough FAQ section, as well as the link to paying the registration fee: https://www.protectourwater.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This may be completely different to the HC but I still think you will see high numbers of people NOT registering for it, in typical anti-everything fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

NIMAN wrote: »
    This may be completely different to the HC but I still think you will see high numbers of people NOT registering for it, in typical anti-everything fashion.

Not so much as the HC methinks. Just registered this morning and according to the local shop (I live just outside a v.small rural village - unfortunately not near enough to the sewerage plant), all the talk yesterday was of not missing the deadline so you don't have to pay €50.

People are worried though, myself included. We are situated next to the Shannon, so obviously at risk for inspection. I have a sceptic tank that is definitely far enough away from the house and conformed to regulations at the time of installation. It won't now, and due to the MENTAL amount of rain over the last few years, no groundwater soaks away - anywhere. Every time it lashes down this year and last, a stream flows through my garden (which never happened before in the 20yrs I've been here). We are all worried that NONE of our tanks will pass, and I don't know one person who could even afford to contribute a percentage of a more effective one.

There's a builder next door who has been installing tanks for years and he says that not even some of the new style tanks will pass muster around here due to the ground-level water table. Reckons you'd need to spend €15,000 to get an effective one. Not trying to scare-monger here, but this is the level of paranoia we have - add to the unfairness of only we poor misfortunates living too far away from sewerage treatment plants having to pay (and potentially upgrade), and yeah, there'll be PLENTY of people who won't register, and with good reason compared to the HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is just turning into a discussion about a national issue and is most certainly not exclusive to Donegal. The politics forum is the best place I can think of to post your comments.

NIMAN let me know if you want me to move the thread and I can re-title it and move if required.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement