Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL in Knocknacarra?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

smurf492 wrote: »
    Surely with all the shops Joyce is running throughout galway he can no longer be seen as a small retailer!

He'll argue that his suppliers are local though in comparison to Lidl/Aldi although I've heard he sources meat and other goods from NI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

D Trent wrote: »
    He'll argue that his suppliers are local though in comparison to Lidl/Aldi although I've heard he sources meat and other goods from NI

Definately he's taking in good from NI, I regualry see brands I used to eat when I lived up there. They also have coop and heritage all over the shelves.

So local in terms of this hemisphere.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Bredabe wrote: »
    D Trent wrote: »

Definately he's taking in good from NI, I regualry see brands I used to eat when I lived up there. They also have coop and heritage all over the shelves.

I would imagine local meant Ireland, you cant limit yourself to Galway only

Paddico wrote: »
    I would imagine local meant Ireland, you cant limit yourself to Galway only

Co Op brand isnt Irish, it wasnt easy to find even in NI, items Ive seen from Heritage brand were scotish. So his arguement of local doesnt hold much water to my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

He's going to be bolli*ed if there is a hard Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

About ten years ago, Joyces anounced a deal with Nisa which explains a lot of the £ signs on the shelves, and the Heritage brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Further info has been received by the planning department and a decision will be made by the 18th of November.

Fingers crossed!

Permission has been GRANTED(Conditional)

Should be built in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

topcat77 wrote: »
    Permission as been GRANTED(Conditional)

Should be built in 2020

It's LIDL we are talking about, probably be opening in about four months not a year and a half !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

westgolf wrote: »
    It's LIDL we are talking about, probably be opening in about four months not a year and a half !

Aw, and there was me thinking it would be the highlight of the 2020 festivities :rolleyes:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Permission has been GRANTED(Conditional)

Should be built in 2020
    I cant find this on gcc www, what does conditional mean in this case?, more importantly could it delay the start of the build?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I cant find this on gcc www, what does conditional mean in this case?, more importantly could it delay the start of the build?

https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/18224/0

Conditional could mean a variety of things. Hours of construction, access to and from the site etc. Doubt it would delay. These Supermarkets are very fast to construct. Recent one in Doughiska was done in months.

It is located in Rahoon, so maybe thats why not findable earlier?
    Thread could do with a name change. The new proposed LIDL will be in Rahoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

You've become the rahoon nazi! yay, more nazis for galway boards. just what we need!

If google says it's knocknacarra it's feckin' knocknacarra. the house always wins.

It is located in Rahoon, so maybe thats why not findable earlier?
    Thread could do with a name change. The new proposed LIDL will be in Rahoon.

Nothing to do with it, they only have a grid ref at worst, it would be junction wdr/bother stiofan(sp?)

My mother was a galweigan generations back, always said that rahoon stopped at the graveyard and the rest was east barna.

You've become the rahoon nazi! yay, more nazis for galway boards. just what we need!

If google says it's knocknacarra it's feckin' knocknacarra. the house always wins.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Say it as it is Lidl!

zell12 wrote: »

Very likely that I misread the article, but I dont get the tesco ref, as they came out in support against rgdata earlier in the process.

I get why rgdata would object, but like aldi, they have years of experience of overcoming all kinds of objections, so objecting in my opinion is just a pr exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

RGDATA has lodged an appeal against the planning permission, decision due in April. :mad:
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/setback-for-lidl-as-new-knocknacarra-store-faces-planning-appeal/
    Hope Santa doesn't bring Pat Joyce any presents!

• Advertisement

I had to go from Knocknacarra to the Lidl by Argos yesterday and it was obviously a nightmare this time of year even at 11am. Absolutely should be allowed, how packed all the local shops especially the Aldi is is proof enough. Dunnes and Aldi haven't appeared to impact them much and they have a lot of things going for them (hot food, off-license, atm, post office, pharmacy, dry cleaners). With 14,000 people in Knocknacarra I think Pat can take it.

Too right Cheshire, pat and co being a giant pain and forcing more cars onto the roads!
    As Beardy said, the rgdata shop have a lot of things going for it and adding the populations of rahoon, salthill side of knocnacarra, taylors hill and salthill itself, plenty of shoppers to go around.

I cant see what they are trying to achieve with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Too right Cheshire, pat and co being a giant pain and forcing more cars onto the roads!
    As Beardy said, the rgdata shop have a lot of things going for it and adding the populations of rahoon, salthill side of knocnacarra, taylors hill and salthill itself, plenty of shoppers to go around.

I cant see what they are trying to achieve with this.
    Maintain market share, protect profits, etc.

I had to go from Knocknacarra to the Lidl by Argos yesterday and it was obviously a nightmare this time of year even at 11am. Absolutely should be allowed, how packed all the local shops especially the Aldi is is proof enough. Dunnes and Aldi haven't appeared to impact them much and they have a lot of things going for them (hot food, off-license, atm, post office, pharmacy, dry cleaners). With 14,000 people in Knocknacarra I think Pat can take it.
    RGDATA has lodged an appeal against the planning permission, decision due in April. :mad:
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/setback-for-lidl-as-new-knocknacarra-store-faces-planning-appeal/
    Hope Santa doesn't bring Pat Joyce any presents!
    zell12 wrote: »
    Maintain market share, protect profits, etc.
    True, but as they are not direct competitors I cant see what they are gaining by blocking much needed shopping options in the area. There are plenty of floating shoppers in the area's mentioned that if handled properly would keep their market share and profit levels high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They are only delaying the inevitable.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

They are only delaying the inevitable.

I'd like to think so. Otherwise feck it, stick it in Barna. As long as it's this side of the Corrib.

I'll be making a point of avoiding Joyce's. I really dislike this objection culture that's happening.

I'll be making a point of avoiding Joyce's. I really dislike this objection culture that's happening.

We were just saying this exact thing in work today, that's 30 of us plus misc friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

We were just saying this exact thing in work today, that's 30 of us plus misc friends and family.

+1

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement