Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Abroad

Options
  • 28-09-2012 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone

My girlfriend and I are thinking about teaching abroad in somewhere like Abu Dhabi in around 2-3 years time. I am a woodwork and techhnical graphics teacher and this is my fifth year teaching therefore i have my C.I.D. My girlfriend has a science degree and has gone back to college to become a secondary school science teacher and she will be qualified in two years time please god. Our main reasons to travel are to make money (for a new house) and also to see a different part of the world and to experience diffferent cultures. From reading the reviews on this website there are alot of mixed reviews, our main questions would be as follows
    • Where would the best place be to make money?(rough idea of pay scales)
    • Where would a decent standard of living be? (granted this will have alot to do with the above)
    • As i am a woodwork teacher what would i have to do in order to qualify to teach English? (TEFL? and if so how much is that?can you do it part time?)
    • Will my girlfriend get a good job as she would be just newly qualified?
    I'm really looking forward to hearing your responses and thank you for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from Canada to Living Abroad as OP is interested in the Middle East ****

Op, keep in mind that if you decide on a middle eastern country, you may not be able to live with your girlfriend if unmarried- exact rules will depend on the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

[QUOTE=silja;80988984
    Op, keep in mind that if you decide on a middle eastern country, you may not be able to live with your girlfriend if unmarried- exact rules will depend on the country.[/QUOTE]

Yep! A lot of schools love to hire 'couples' as it makes it much easier however the usually only hire married couples. The UAE, Qatar and Bahrain offer a very Western lifestyle as opposed to Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

With your level of experience you could go for a university job in Korea. At the moment it's still the best for money but China is creeping up. The perks of teaching in Asia are great! Free flights, free accommodation, earn a really good living with things pretty cheap.

I've only taught in Korea but have friends who have done both Korea and the Middle East and they say the Middle East can be really hard at times.

Advertisement