Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest pears?

• 28-09-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Contrary to the utter failure of my apples, strawberries and cherries this year, I have a bumper crop of Conference pears.

Can anyone advise when to collect them? I like to leave fruit to ripen on the plant, but don't want them on the ground.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

Pears should be harvested when they are mature, but still hard, and ripened off the tree. If you wait until the pears get ripe on the tree they'll get mushy inside quite quickly. Generally, if you lift the fruit up it should break away easily enough from the stem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Took them in this mornng - two came down overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

mitosis wrote: »
    Took them in this mornng - two came down overnight.

You most have had better weather where you are , mine are not near ready yet, it's always near the middle of October before they are, been living on Williams' Bon Chretien for the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

sorry for jumping in on this tread but likewise have taken my conference crop off the tree ,over the years have tried different methods to ripen them ,used the brown paper bag with a banana in with them ,also heard of using wax to cover over them and also leave on window sill but still not happy with these methods ,the brown bag can be hit or miss i find has anybody perfected a method for ripening them,thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

bazbrady wrote: »
    sorry for jumping in on this tread but likewise have taken my conference crop off the tree ,over the years have tried different methods to ripen them ,used the brown paper bag with a banana in with them ,also heard of using wax to cover over them and also leave on window sill but still not happy with these methods ,the brown bag can be hit or miss i find has anybody perfected a method for ripening them,thanks.

Try some in a covered bowl with a ripe kiwi - will take about 2 weeks to ripen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement