Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Channel for Europe?

Options
  • 28-09-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I remember hearing a few years ago that plans were in place to create a Weather Channel for the E.U the equilvalent of the same channel in the U.S.It would have regional forecasts but also have bigger weather stories from around Europe.Ive heard nothing since and was wondering has anyone else heard any latest news on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Have not heard anything about this.

If anyone is going to do it, I am guessing it will be WSI which owns The Weather Channel.

Weather Services International has made numerous acquisitions during the past six months and is slowly but surely spreading its wings.

It acquired Weather Central (US, Canada) earlier this month. WC provides localised forecasts for Europe. It is also hoping to acquire Weather Underground, according to the Washington Post

Another rapidly expanding weather forecast/service provider is MeteoGroup, which is based in the UK. It already runs a very useful website http://www.weathercast.co.uk/

Ultimately, the reason why we do not have a Weather Channel Europe at present as the economics probably don't stack up for anyone planning to provide such a service at present. Weather Services International only makes a fraction of its overall revenue from its TV channel. Like MeteoGroup, Accuweather etc., the main source of revenue is from selling on its raw data to other service providers as well as providing client focused forecasting services i.e. energy companies, media outlets and so on. You will notice that Accuweather, a leading player in the US and international market, does not do a lot of TV or website news. It knows that the money will come from selling on raw data and signing deals with apple/samsung etc for built in apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Did sky not have a 24 hour weather channel in the early 90s ? or did they have the weather channel for a while in the early 90s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Language barrier would be the main..er....barrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

ZX7R wrote: »
    Did sky not have a 24 hour weather channel in the early 90s ? or did they have the weather channel for a while in the early 90s?

Yeah, it was the weather channel as far as I remember.

Advertisement