Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about access rights for download software

Options
  • 28-09-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'd like to explain to my sister (who has a husband and two kids), the optimum way to use the Xbox profiles and XBLA/DLC points purchases.

I understand the dashboard/account/profile system has gone through a lot of revisions and changes since I set up mine.

For example, if they buy a points card voucher, how can they set it so all of them have access to the purchased game, or purchased DLC songs in a music game.

Can a master profile give XBLA/DLC access to other profiles, or do they have to make one "Family" account and only ever use that.

It's probably worth mentioning these will all NOT be Gold accounts/profiles.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Hello,

I'd like to explain to my sister (who has a husband and two kids), the optimum way to use the Xbox profiles and XBLA/DLC points purchases.

I understand the dashboard/account/profile system has gone through a lot of revisions and changes since I set up mine.

For example, if they buy a points card voucher, how can they set it so all of them have access to the purchased game, or purchased DLC songs in a music game. Downloaded content is automatically given a local, console-specific license as well as a license for the purchasing profile. This means that all profiles on the console can use the content once it was originally downloaded to the console in question. Points redeemed to a specific account can only be used by that account. Once they are used to buy something and downloaded to the console, everyone on that console can use the content.

Can a master profile give XBLA/DLC access to other profiles, or do they have to make one "Family" account and only ever use that. No. You will need to set up individual accounts and get Xbox gold for each one if the want to play online or use specific apps etc. I am sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong but the last I checked, family packs were not available in Ireland. Not sure what the thought process is there but it is what it is. I've already gone through the DLC access stuff.

It's probably worth mentioning these will all NOT be Gold accounts/profiles.

Thanks in advance
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

When content is purchased on an Xbox all profiles that console will have access to the content as long it's connected to the internet. The profiles wouldn't need to have Xbox Gold but they would need to be set up as online accounts so just an email address and details. (This is true for 90% content. Usage guidelines will give you an idea of which content is open but they need to taken with a grain of salt at times.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Thanks, both, so if I'm understanding correctly:

Content purchased on any profile can be used by all profiles on the machine, as long as each one is set up with a valid e-mail address + details AND are connected to the internet

Example: Parent A purchases a DLC song on their profile, child B can play said song on their own profile

What happens if the machine is not constantly connected to the internet? Like if the room they play it in, and the room they download the DLC on are two different places?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

If the console is not connected to the internet then only the profile that downloaded the content will be able to be play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

And as Orim said, some content may be locked to the profile. This is down to the publisher and not Xbox itself. This is a rarity, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement