Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice - thinking of downsizing

• 28-09-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭

A controversial topic for some....but having been back biking for the last few weeks after a 2 year break (driving a car) I'm starting to realize that I'm a commuter these days and not a biker. I just want to get from A to B - not go for spins etc. I'm a 5'1 girl with a 600c Shadow - it broke down yesterday around the corner from home - I had to get my dad to get it because I'm not strong enough to push it very far :rolleyes:
    A few years ago I would have laughed reading this post but I'm thinking of switching to something smaller for my 30 min commute into work (drumcondra -> city center):...I saw one of those 3 wheelers the other day and thought it looked kind of cool... :eek:
    Am I mad?! I have a cold so maybe I'm a bit delirious lol! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

tk123 wrote: »
    A controversial topic for some....but having been back biking for the last few weeks after a 2 year break (driving a car) I'm starting to realize that I'm a commuter these days and not a biker. I just want to get from A to B - not go for spins etc. I'm a 5'1 girl with a 600c Shadow - it broke down yesterday around the corner from home - I had to get my dad to get it because I'm not strong enough to push it very far :rolleyes:
    A few years ago I would have laughed reading this post but I'm thinking of switching to something smaller for my 30 min commute into work (drumcondra -> city center):...I saw one of those 3 wheelers the other day and thought it looked kind of cool... :eek:

I'v switched from my M900 to my MP3 250 since Monday. It's so much more comfy and practical for winter riding :D Maybe it was me you saw? :) I bought my 3 wheeler purely because I thought it would be safe and practical. Over the years I really have grown to love it though! I bought my MP3 250 over in London and rode it back to Holyhead and then back to Dublin, so I know nothing about buying one here in Ireland other than Bikeworld are an official dealer. Mines an older 2006 model, but I do highly recommend them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Sess, interesting always liked the look of them. I find my FJR is just over-kill.

Do you think a 250 mp3 can keep up with m50 traffic? What mpg do you think it would give on a 28mile mostly m- road commute keeping around 100k/h?

650Ginge wrote: »
    Sess, interesting always liked the look of them. I find my FJR is just over-kill.

Do you think a 250 mp3 can keep up with m50 traffic? What mpg do you think it would give on a 28mile mostly m- road commute keeping around 100k/h?

I get about 200 kilometers per tank, which costs me 16 euro roughly. I have to admit though I always ride it full throttle.... in fact I've snapped the throttle cable twice over the last few years - I'm always twisting it really hard trying to eek out every last horsey :) It should do better with a rider who isn't always full throttle. If I had the money I'd consider the MP3 500.

Top speed for me is about 135kph, would probably go a little faster for someone lighter than me or slower for someone heavier than me. It's no problem to do the maximum speed limit in this country, so I've never had any issue riding it on the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I presume filtering being a thing of the past could be an issue for some?

cantdecide wrote: »
    I presume filtering being a thing of the past could be an issue for some?

Widest point on any bike I know of is the handlebars. MP3 is exactly the same, I had a T-Max 500 for a few days and its handlebars were slightly wider than my MP3's. The only issue people would have at first is thinking in their mind it is bigger. Once you get used to it you can fly through traffic, making good progress :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

But can you still tip it left and right in the usual way to avoid van mirrors and the like?

cantdecide wrote: »
    But can you still tip it left and right in the usual way to avoid van mirrors and the like?

Yes absolutely! Maximum tilt is 45 degrees I think. I commute between Celbridge and Dublin 2. I have no problem filtering along the south circular road which can be tight in places or along the canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

More Lemsip & hot whiskey asap ! They'd be around the same weight anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

gctest50 wrote: »
    More Lemsip & hot whiskey asap ! They'd be around the same weight anyway

I'd imagine they'd be easier to push if needed though since they have the 2 wheels at the front?

I'd imagine they'd be easier to push if needed though since they have the 2 wheels at the front?

You can press a button and at very low speed or stopped, the front locks in place. So you don't have to waste any energy holding it up.

However I'm not saying if you were to get one you'd have to be pushing it often enough for that to make a difference :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Two wheels at the front will make it harder to push, more rolling resistance with 3 tyres than 2, but they'll be less chance of dropping it when you get tired:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Del2005 wrote: »
    Two wheels at the front will make it harder to push, more rolling resistance with 3 tyres than 2, but they'll be less chance of dropping it when you get tired:D

Yeah that's what I meant - I could take a break lol! :p

Advertisement