Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyacinth Bulbs in Flower for Christmas - how to

Options
  • 28-09-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I bought a pack of spring-flowering Hyacinth bulbs but am trying to force them for Christmas opening.

I have potted them up in potting compost and given them a watering.

In order to push them on, is there a particular place they should be located indoors? Cold dark-ish room, warm bright windowsill ?? Whats the trick.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 weddingcar.ie

I would think your problem will be holding them back for Christmas. Id keep it somewhere very cool like a cold greenhouse and bring it in for the first week of December once it hits the heat they tend to fly into flower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

You could also plant them all a few days apart thus enabling them to flower at different times,therefore you will be sure to have your hyacinth's flowering for Christmas...

Maybe my idea is costly,as the other poster said,introduce them to heat also...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Monty Don last night suggested they be put in a cool dark place until you see them sprouting then introduce them to light and heat.

Cheers y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have always understood that for flowers at Christmas you have to buy 'prepared' bulbs, ordinary outdoor bulbs will not flower till spring. However I am quite prepared to accept that I have been conned by the bulb companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

looksee wrote: »
    I have always understood that for flowers at Christmas you have to buy 'prepared' bulbs, ordinary outdoor bulbs will not flower till spring. However I am quite prepared to accept that I have been conned by the bulb companies?

No you are right I think. He did mentioned to buy prepared bulbs - unfotunately I had already bought regular bulbs and planted them, Ive put them in a cold dark-ish area and see how I go... Will let y'all know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement