Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well if these BNM briquettes are €4.30 each , remember that 80 % of this is going back to Bord Na Mona , and therefore into the coffers of our Government .

The retailer gets 20% to cover their costs .

This semi-state company returned to profit last year , and now you know why.

Your €4.30 includes carbon tax and VAT on top of carbon tax .

In other word you are paying a tax on top of a tax .( double taxation )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

paddyp wrote: »
    Nothing to do with carbon tax which is 22.9c on briquettes and went on in May. Supply and demand, I'm sure when no-one buys them at that price they'll come back down. Unless they're comparing with Woodies and they think its a bargain. What did paddy get banned for?

From that link -

"Bord Na Mona Briquette Bale. Easy to Store.
    Easy to Carry
    Smokeless"

Not that easy, they slip and off come your fingers. And are quite heavy for the elderly and arthritis sufferers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭vickers209

seen an add in the wicklow people arklow building supplies doing bnm briquettes 3 for €10 this sat only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

vickers209 wrote: »
    seen an add in the wicklow people arklow building supplies doing bnm briquettes 3 for €10 this sat only

One day only????? Hardly worth the hassle!!!

3 for a tenner every day is the only way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

paddy147 wrote: »

However you will get a lovely "country smell" and some nice green/blue flames from it.

I don't know what kinda turf your burning but green?!?!?!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Are we allowed to ask about Paddy147? Is he banned banned or will he be back?

Anyway, back to the thread.

Aldi back selling their logs on Sunday 6th October. 10Kg bag for €3.99.

I bought the odd bag of these last winter, out of convenience really. Found them to be hit and miss. Burned well sometimes, sodden wet other times. Sometimes they were hardwood, other times definitely softwood.

By and large, a convenience buy more than a bargain but cheaper than those currently being sold at Tesco and petrol stations. Way more expensive than buying them by the tonne or m³

https://www.aldi.ie/fileadmin/fm-dam/products/product_photos/2013/Specialbuys/W41/Sunday/W4113_PD_Sunday_33.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

My local Centra doing 3 bags of logs for €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

casio4 wrote: »

What weight per bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

dfbemt wrote: »
    Are we allowed to ask about Paddy147? Is he banned banned or will he be back?

Anyway, back to the thread.

Aldi back selling their logs on Sunday 6th October. 10Kg bag for €3.99.

I bought the odd bag of these last winter, out of convenience really. Found them to be hit and miss. Burned well sometimes, sodden wet other times. Sometimes they were hardwood, other times definitely softwood.

By and large, a convenience buy more than a bargain but cheaper than those currently being sold at Tesco and petrol stations. Way more expensive than buying them by the tonne or m³

https://www.aldi.ie/fileadmin/fm-dam/products/product_photos/2013/Specialbuys/W41/Sunday/W4113_PD_Sunday_33.jpg

Found the same with the Aldi wood last year. Some burned greats, other not so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

Crasy Fuel prices in N.C.F Sligo.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0109_zps7a116fd7.jpg

casio4 wrote: »

If they are 10kg bags i think 3 for €10 is about the going rate

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

What weight per bag?

not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Boscod

Special offer while stocks last on pallets of Briquetts ( board na mona )

€3.50 per bale

1 pallet = 128 bales Briquetts

Total price including vat plus carbon tax

€448.00 savings of over €100 from normal retail price

http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/briquetts/5554348

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Boscod wrote: »
    Special offer while stocks last on pallets of Briquetts ( board na mona )

€3.50 per bale

1 pallet = 128 bales Briquetts

Total price including vat plus carbon tax

€448.00 savings of over €100 from normal retail price

http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/briquetts/5554348

thats not particularly cheap - considering you can still get them for 3 for a tenner in a good few spots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭glog

BnM Premium Stove Fuel 35 Kg bag @ €17.50 http://www.chadwicks.ie/autumn-2013-deals/heating/35kg-black-diamond-premium-stove-fuel.html

Looks reasonable at that price.

• Advertisement

glog wrote: »
    BnM Premium Stove Fuel 35 Kg bag @ €17.50 http://www.chadwicks.ie/autumn-2013-deals/heating/35kg-black-diamond-premium-stove-fuel.html

I was paying 18 last year (before the carbon tax) so this is good in comparison.

I'm using regular BnM easyflame at the moment, I seriously miss the stove fuel, a few euro more expensive but there's 0 mess. Easier to pour from the bucket into the stove too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

jameshayes wrote: »
    I was paying 18 last year (before the carbon tax) so this is good in comparison.

I'm using regular BnM easyflame at the moment, I seriously miss the stove fuel, a few euro more expensive but there's 0 mess. Easier to pour from the bucket into the stove too.

Kingcoal stovoids mentioned earlier by orchard farmer are the same thing apparently except 15% cheaper delivered to your door next day.
    5 40kg bags delivered for €85 works out at €14.875 for 35kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Any recommendations for fire lighters? At the moment I'm using Drummer which are cheap but fairly crap imo. Is it worth spending a bit more on a better known brand? I tried those individually wrapped ones and didn't like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Fiolina wrote: »
    Any recommendations for fire lighters? At the moment I'm using Drummer which are cheap but fairly crap imo. Is it worth spending a bit more on a better known brand? I tried those individually wrapped ones and didn't like them.

After years of testing and experimentation, I have decided that SuperValu own-brand firelighters are the best. They are inexpensive, light easily, burn a long time and break off from the block along the pre-cut lines. I can't understand why most firelighters don't break off correctly, leaving you with unevenly sized pieces - there's absolutely nothing worse in life than that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I can't understand why most firelighters don't break off correctly, leaving you with unevenly sized pieces - there's absolutely nothing worse in life than that!!

hemorrhoids possibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Fiolina wrote: »

I use the Aldi ones and have no real issues with them (albeit my OCD finds the not breaking evenly thing a bit annoying.

Overall though two small squares always get the fire going for me !

I can't understand why most firelighters don't break off correctly, leaving you with unevenly sized pieces - there's absolutely nothing worse in life than that!!

Wow I think that could be the defeinition of a first world problem right there :eek:
    MugMugs wrote: »
    I use the Aldi ones and have no real issues with them (albeit my OCD finds the not breaking evenly thing a bit annoying.

Overall though two small squares always get the fire going for me !

+1 for the aldi ones cheap and cheerful, I take them out and break them all up and keep them in a lunchbox container keeps the hands cleaner and cuts down on the kerosene smell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Thanks for replies. I'm heading to Aldi later so will pick some up. Have to say I love the smell of firelighters:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

The local hardware is €16.50 for this stove coal. Might be worth getting a few bags so.

+1 on the Aldi firelighters. I just use a craft knife to cut out the squares.

+1 for the aldi ones cheap and cheerful, I take them out and break them all up and keep them in a lunchbox container keeps the hands cleaner and cuts down on the kerosene smell

I have an abundance of unused Lunch boxes. What a terrific idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

hemorrhoids possibly

No!!
    Wow I think that could be the defeinition of a first world problem right there :eek

This is a problem for the WHOLE world, not just us poor ba$tards in the 1st!

The local hardware is €16.50 for this stove coal. Might be worth getting a few bags so.

Watch out on this , because BNM have only 35kg in a bag , whereas all other suppliers are 40kg .
    Theirs may not be bargain at all .compare like for like . - so if a BNM 35kg bag is 17.50e , this means 40kg is 20.00e

On the firelighters , its well known that paddy147 is the expert , so hopefully he gets out of prison soon. :)

Watch out on this , because BNM have only 35kg in a bag , whereas all other suppliers are 40kg .
    Theirs may not be bargain at all .compare like for like . - so if a BNM 35kg bag is 17.50e , this means 40kg is 20.00e

I do believe we are comparing like for like !!

BnM 35Kg of Premium Stove coal (as originally quoted) !!!!

I do believe we are comparing like for like !!

BnM 35Kg of Premium Stove coal (as originally quoted) !!!!

He means when comparing with other coals which are mostly 40kg i.e. €16.50 for 35kg = €18.85 for 40kg

Where is selling it at €16.50 by the way for the benefit of other readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

I priced most of the coal including the BnM stove coal 35kg, Calco smokeless, Anthracite and Black diamond all 40kg and they were €16.50. Only slack and coal nuggets were cheaper. Briquettes are still €3.75 a bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

thats not particularly cheap - considering you can still get them for 3 for a tenner in a good few spots

Can you tell us where? Would be helpful !!

He means when comparing with other coals which are mostly 40kg i.e. €16.50 for 35kg = €18.85 for 40kg

Where is selling it at €16.50 by the way for the benefit of other readers.

Yes - I know EXACTLY what he means. That's why i said it was a 35Kg bag.
    Let's give people a small bit of credit.:rolleyes:

Either way it doesn't detract from the fact that €17.50 for 35Kg of BnM Premium Stove Fuel product is a reasonable price from Chadwicks, compared to other sources of BnM Premium Stove Fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

just seen this, its a long way from me. , not sure how good the prices are but I am sure someone will let us know
    http://discountfuels.ie/

dfbemt wrote: »
    Can you tell us where? Would be helpful !!

Not too many left doing 3 for 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Co-op in Carrigaline are charging 18.99 for a bag of BnM Premium Stove Fuel 35 Kg. Probably the same in other co-op stores around Munster. Their prices seem quite high in comparison to others reported here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

TPM wrote: »
    just seen this, its a long way from me. , not sure how good the prices are but I am sure someone will let us know
    http://discountfuels.ie/

I pass close by everyday but totally forgot about calling in there. Prices look good compared to my local co-op. I'll be trying the stove fuel but could be another 2 weeks before the fire is lit if the weather continues as expected.

Hi Folks.

I've always said that I'll never burn coal in my stove. I've no real need to. Wood serves me well.

Whats the benefit of "stove" coal though? Whats the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have deleted a lot of discussion regarding the recent banning of a poster!

There's no more to be said on the discussion, but I will say this - no one is banned for Boards without reason.

Let this be the end of it!

Hi Folks.

I've always said that I'll never burn coal in my stove. I've no real need to. Wood serves me well.

Whats the benefit of "stove" coal though? Whats the difference?

Cleans the glass - after burning wood in my stove for a week the glass will be pretty dirty, 1 hour with coal in there will clean the dirt right off. I've never used anything other than coal to clean the glass (never used newspaper etc) and it is spotless.

• Advertisement

Cleans the glass - after burning wood in my stove for a week the glass will be pretty dirty, 1 hour with coal in there will clean the dirt right off. I've never used anything other than coal to clean the glass (never used newspaper etc) and it is spotless.

Is it hotter than wood or would you draw out the same sort of heat?

Is it hotter than wood or would you draw out the same sort of heat?

From a non scientific point of view - I think it's probably the same heat, but much easier to maintain a steady.. I find wood hard to regulate because it burns quite fast.. also with coal I can just throw it in and watch the TV, with wood I have to keep an eye on it..

I have a pile of wood from a tree I cut down, so when thats gone I think i'll just stick with the coal..

marvsins wrote: »
    I pass close by everyday but totally forgot about calling in there. Prices look good compared to my local co-op. I'll be trying the stove fuel but could be another 2 weeks before the fire is lit if the weather continues as expected.

let ue know how you get on with the stove fuel, I am currently looking for some at a reasonable price to try, I only had coal and wood last winter so want to see the difference.

Yes - I know EXACTLY what he means. That's why i said it was a 35Kg bag.
    Let's give people a small bit of credit.:rolleyes:

Either way it doesn't detract from the fact that €17.50 for 35Kg of BnM Premium Stove Fuel product is a reasonable price from Chadwicks, compared to other sources of BnM Premium Stove Fuel.

BnM Premium Stove Fuel = Arigna Ecobrite = king coal stovids = hayes supacite etc. etc.

€20 for 40kg is not a good price for that coal.

Noone is attacking you or trying to upset you. We are just trying to make sure that people reading the thread can make a like for like comparison. This thread has 60,000 views. All those people aren't going to be able to or want to do the math.

Where is selling it for that price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Basq wrote: »
    Have deleted a lot of discussion regarding the recent banning of a poster!

There's no more to be said on the discussion, but I will say this - no one is banned for Boards without reason.

Let this be the end of it!
    Thats a bit harsh for a friday, time you sat down and had a crunchie and a cuppa:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Hey folks Cavan area here. Time to start preparing for this winter fuel wise. Any bargins close at hand?

• Advertisement

I am waiting on a price back on some fuels and was wondering if anyone could give me a guide on prices for

Stafford Superior Anthracite Ovoid
    Redflame Anthracite
    Stafford Superior Grade A Phurnacite
    Stafford Superior Country Blend.

oh and btw they are not all for use in the same appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

lycan238 wrote: »
    Hey folks Cavan area here. Time to start preparing for this winter fuel wise. Any bargins close at hand?

Same here,tried Tractormotors & Poles but no specials.
    Briquettes are 3.76 each in Cavan,Anyone find anywhere cheaper in bulk???

lycan238 wrote: »
    Worth calling these fellas I suppose since they're the biggest:
    http://www.fuelsupplies.ie/Home

Do report back if theres any bargains.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have a look on done deal too. I just did a search of Kildare for logs, a few good deals out there. Nothing specific with the coals, 80 bales of bnm briquettes for 300, and 200 bales of ecologs for 410.

TPM wrote: »
    I am waiting on a price back on some fuels and was wondering if anyone could give me a guide on prices for

Stafford Superior Anthracite Ovoid
    Redflame Anthracite
    Stafford Superior Grade A Phurnacite
    Stafford Superior Country Blend.

oh and btw they are not all for use in the same appliance.

Theres a guy in Bray selling the above - see this :
    http://www.adverts.ie/heating/coal-logs-gas-turf-briquettes/3759704

• Advertisement
Advertisement