Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

That's not been my experience. Some of the wood I tested in their barn was below 15% moisture content and price wise it did not strike me as being more expensive than other suppliers. Here's their product page , I'd be interested to hear what you think of their prices http://www.kilndriedfirewood.ie/products.html

MugMugs wrote: »

My understanding of it was that if the wood is to be stored outside then Kiln dried was a waste of time as it would sap up moisture defeating the purpose of getting Kiln dried.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Tony wrote: »
    That's not been my experience. Some of the wood I tested in their barn was below 15% moisture content and price wise it did not strike me as being more expensive than other suppliers. Here's their product page , I'd be interested to hear what you think of their prices http://www.kilndriedfirewood.ie/products.html

For kiln dried and location, that's pretty reasonable but I don't trust measurements of weight and prefer volume when it comes to wood.

I am not sure where I got that idea from that it did sap moisture but I'd be interested to know the answer as the seasoned stuff I've got can still take a bit of "weathering" before I am happy to burn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just back from Old Dublin Rd. Fuels (Enniscorthy),picked up a 40kg bag of Polish coal for €12.50 & got a bag of stove nuggets for €14,I mix them together in the bunker.

The place is very busy for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭askU

zerks wrote: »
    Just back from Old Dublin Rd. Fuels (Enniscorthy),picked up a 40kg bag of Polish coal for €12.50 & got a bag of stove nuggets for €14,I mix them together in the bunker.

The place is very busy for obvious reasons.

Please weigh a bag and tell me how much it weighs. Does it weigh 40kg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

askU wrote: »
    Please weigh a bag and tell me how much it weighs. Does it weigh 40kg?

Why do you doubt?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What's Phurnacite like to burn? Is it alright @20 per bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

beertons wrote: »

Who sells this?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Who sells this?

It's bagged by a company called cpl, has an 042 number. Bought it off a lad in the town, he delivered it to the door, thought I'd give him a go rather than emptying out the boot, putting in a few bags, then having to Hoover the boot after they were taken out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Got a bale of briquettes in Aldi €3.79 and there are 18 single ones in the pack and heavy too.

Good value to me.

Theres no brand name on the pack .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

beertons wrote: »

You have to burn it in a enclosed stove as the fumes can be toxic €20 sounds ok for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Got a bale of briquettes in Aldi €3.79 and there are 18 single ones in the pack and heavy too.

Good value to me.

I found they burned great initially but then faded and didn't burn away fully and the remaining stuff smothered my fire and put it out. Not great IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

unichall wrote: »
    I found they burned great initially but then faded and didn't burn away fully and the remaining stuff smothered my fire and put it out. Not great IMO

Totally agree. Had them on tonight and they fizzled out fairly quick killing the rest of the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

vickers209 wrote: »
    You have to burn it in a enclosed stove as the fumes can be toxic €20 sounds ok for it

Nonsense bituminous coal, peat etc. would produce far more dangerous 'fumes'.

You have to burn it in a stove because it has such a low volatile content it wouldn't burn readily in an open fire. You can mix it with other fuels to burn it.

For anyone else in Roscommon theres Anthracite for €16.70 a bag in star energy roscommon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

bought a net bag of aldi logs last week very damp and dint burn well wouldnt buy them again . stopped at fuel depot beside statoil on turvey road r132 yesterday and got a big net bag of logs for 3 euro 50 . burned very well and bigger net bag of logs than the one from aldi . fuel depot sells briquettes and coal , think the briquettes are 3 euro 70 might try a bag of the polish coal at the weekend now the weather has got cold .

anyone try lignite briquetes ? saw them for sale in petrol station yesterday but they were mad money and only half the size of a bale of the bord na mona ones .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wossack wrote: »
    anyone got any recommendations for sub 20% moisture content logs around dublin south?

ended up getting 10x 10kg net bags of kiln dried hardwood from heatco stoves, on the grange road rathfarnham. Got change from a 50 (I think about 4.40 a bag). Tis great stuff, our stove has never been hotter :eek:

Oh, they dont take cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

paddyp wrote: »
    Nonsense bituminous coal, peat etc. would produce far more dangerous 'fumes'.

You have to burn it in a stove because it has such a low volatile content it wouldn't burn readily in an open fire. You can mix it with other fuels to burn it.

For anyone else in Roscommon theres Anthracite for €16.70 a bag in star energy roscommon.

Risks of Phurnacite

It was assumed that there were no risks attached to phurnacite burning and working under phurnacite fumes, until hundreds of former workers of the Phurnacite Plant Abercwmboi, South Wales, were diagnosed with serious health problems. These workers claimed in London’s High Court that working in the phurnacite plant is the reason for their health complaints. The final judgment given by the High Court concluded that the stance of the ex-workers was fair, and that there was an evident relationship between phurnacite Fume inhalation and consequent diseases like lung cancer, bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Some of the diseases associated with phurnacite exposure are:

Respiratory diseases,
    Lung/respiratory cancers,
    Chronic bronchitis,
    Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD),
    Emphysema

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/compensation-former-phurnacite-staff-lung-2022273

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

vickers209 wrote: »
    Risks of Phurnacite

It was assumed that there were no risks attached to phurnacite burning and working under phurnacite fumes, until hundreds of former workers of the Phurnacite Plant Abercwmboi, South Wales, were diagnosed with serious health problems. These workers claimed in London’s High Court that working in the phurnacite plant is the reason for their health complaints. The final judgment given by the High Court concluded that the stance of the ex-workers was fair, and that there was an evident relationship between phurnacite Fume inhalation and consequent diseases like lung cancer, bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Some of the diseases associated with phurnacite exposure are:

Respiratory diseases,
    Lung/respiratory cancers,
    Chronic bronchitis,
    Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD),
    Emphysema

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/compensation-former-phurnacite-staff-lung-2022273

Sooo you're comparing working long term in a factory under what could only be described as 18th century conditions producing the product to burning it in your stove. You do realise that the plant closed in 1991 and the entire production process from start to finish was a travesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Good value to me.

Well guys , the family have left me some feedback on those Aldi briquettes , and its not good news .

Negative feedback - told me not to buy them again , and they don't burn and they turn to dust and put out the fire .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Used to go to applegreen fuel and get 10 bales of bnm briquettes for 35...this year they have no deals and selling for 4.50 a bale ! Can anyone help....s outh city Dublin ...I know there must be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Armelodie wrote: »
    Used to go to applegreen fuel and get 10 bales of bnm briquettes for 35...this year they have no deals and selling for 4.50 a bale ! Can anyone help....s outh city Dublin ...I know there must be better

3 for €10 is about the best ive heard of on south side

3 for €10 is about the best ive heard of on south side

Where's that?

Armelodie wrote: »
    Where's that?

ABS Building Supplies in Bluebell

ABS Building Supplies in Bluebell

Cheers hope that's not pre carbon tax prices

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

best place to get few bags coal or logs etc delivered to blackrock? Some places I've seen have a minimum delivery of like 3 bags but my housemates will definitely be too mean to part with too much money and would rather sit with two coats on...not me though...

would prefer normal coal as that smokeless stuff is useless from what I've used so far but know that other stuff apparently isn't sold down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Centra in Jobstown have 3 bales of BNM briquettes for €12. Might be in other centras too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jasongilroy

anyone no any good deals around galway on coal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Is solid state fuel the burning of flash drives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

B&q has 5 bales of BnaM briqettes for €18.
    I got the aldi ones last year and they were rubbish, plus they cannot be stored outdoors as they crumble when they get wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

Sligo Fuels/McPartland Fuels are doing 10 40kg bags of Black Pearl coal for €100 at the moment. Offer ends Sat 30th though. I'm using this at the moment in my stove with back boiler and it heats the whole house very nicely. Might to useful to people in Sligo/Leitrim and surrounding counties (not sure where else they cover. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

eimerom wrote: »
    Sligo Fuels/McPartland Fuels are doing 10 bags of Black Diamond coal for €100 at the moment. Offer ends Sat 30th though. I'm using this at the moment in my stove with back boiler and it heats the whole house very nicely. Might to useful to people in Sligo/Leitrim and surrounding counties (not sure where else they cover. :)

What weight are the bags?

• SteM wrote: »
    Centra in Jobstown have 3 bales of BNM briquettes for €12. Might be in other centras too.
    Thats awful.
    Ganly's in Athlone. 3.50 a bale. Winning

What weight are the bags?

40kg, sorry will put this up on original post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Sligo Fuels/McPartland Fuels are doing 10 40kg bags of Black Diamond coal for €100 at the moment. Offer ends Sat 30th though. I'm using this at the moment in my stove with back boiler and it heats the whole house very nicely. Might to useful to people in Sligo/Leitrim and surrounding counties (not sure where else they cover. :)

Is it the Bord na Mona Black Diamond coal?
    Seems very cheap for 40KG bags.

rhonin wrote: »
    Is it the Bord na Mona Black Diamond coal?
    Seems very cheap for 40KG bags.

When I went to check I realised it's Black Pearl, sorry, don't know what the difference is. I find it fantastic with very little ash in the stove and a lot cheaper than anywhere else locally. Here's a link to their website, it's the blue bag down the page.

http://www.sligofuels.ie/products/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

When I went to check I realised it's Black Pearl, sorry, don't know what the difference is. I find it fantastic with very little ash in the stove and a lot cheaper than anywhere else locally. Here's a link to their website, it's the blue bag down the page.

http://www.sligofuels.ie/products/

I prefer the Black Gem coal they have but the Black Pearl isn't bad for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any good deals in the mayo area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

40kg, sorry will put this up on original post

Cheers for that

These http://www.cashncarrydirect.ie/index.php have 6 bags of coal (20kg) for €30,which is a very decent deal,they have a few branches around the country,I spotted them in Gorey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

irishgeo wrote: »
    Any good deals in the mayo area?

Did you try either of the Pet Stores in Ballina & Castlebar. IIRC the last time I passed, they had a sign for coal from €11.00 per 40kg bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

zerks wrote: »
    These http://www.cashncarrydirect.ie/index.php have 6 bags of coal (20kg) for €30,which is a very decent deal,they have a few branches around the country,I spotted them in Gorey.

A friend of mine said his neighbour tried the stuff. Apparently very small lumps with a mix of everything including anthracite which won't burn on an open fire.

Aenaes wrote: »
    A friend of mine said his neighbour tried the stuff. Apparently very small lumps with a mix of everything including anthracite which won't burn on an open fire.

Ah,sounds like it's more suited to a stove or mixed with timber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Aenaes wrote: »
    we use it in an open fire and find there is great heat from it. got it in gorey as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Still 3 for 10 in ABS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

jameshayes wrote: »
    Still 3 for 10 in ABS

Also 2 for 30 on stove coal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Also 2 for 30 on stove coal

is the black diamond smokeless a decent coal?

got 5 bales of briquettes in b & q last week for 14 euro 40 was 5 for 18 but got 20% off , happy with that price

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭galldar

Still 3 for 10 in ABS

Was there today to stock up on briquettes, apparently on Friday they will be doing a special offer, 3 bales for €5, one purchase per customer.

galldar wrote: »
    Was there today to stock up on briquettes, apparently on Friday they will be doing a special offer, 3 bales for €5, one purchase per customer.

2 bales for €5 max spend €50 per customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

2 bales for €5 max spend €50 per customer

Where would that be ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement