Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Where would that be ?

1476671_353310681480266_238406239_n.jpg

All-Trade Building Supplies
    John F Kennedy Road

J.F.K Industrial Estate
    Bluebell
    Dublin 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BNM Briquettes are 5 for €20.00 in Woodies at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Guys, don't be speculating about posters on thread please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

vicwatson wrote: »
    BNM Briquettes are 5 for €20.00 in Woodies at present.

Was in my local branch this morning and picked some up. I will mention though that my saving was a massive 0% as I pay €4 per briquette anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

was in discountfuels.ie in turners cross cork. stove coal 17.50 ( vs 18.99 in coop) , briquettes 3 for 10 and if you buy stove coal 40kg you get a free "sample" of another stove suitable coal dor free ( exact bag aldi selling for 5.59)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

Whats the difference in stove coal v normal coal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

gflann wrote: »

Stove coal is more suited to being burnt in a stove.

Less likely to have projectiles fired against the glass etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Stove coal burns longer and helps keep the glass clean too

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just left abs with briquettes, €50 is a great offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Stove coal has low/very low volatile content, difficult to burn in an open fire without controlled draught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Took a chance on the Black diamond coal in PH Ross's in Hanlons corner, D7. €16 each, buy 10 get 1 free, works out at 14.55 a bag. Seems to burn very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

that 40kg sweetie? do they deliver do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

brightkane wrote: »
    that 40kg sweetie? do they deliver do you know?

They do deliver but at a cost, not sure how much. Possibly might be free for more than 11? I live closeby so I had two quick trips with the car on saturday as it suited me to get them then than have to be around on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I am in d15 so might pop down, saves me the trip to bluebell to ABS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Stove coal burns longer and helps keep the glass clean too

its also cleaner - you can pick up a nugget and there will be very very little residue on your hand, not much dust comes off when you pour it and the bag is fully sealed so it doesn't expel dust everywhere when you're moving it.

• Advertisement

• Stove coal is more suited to being burnt in a stove.

Less likely to have projectiles fired against the glass etc.
    It's also normally smokeless so better for the chimney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks for the ABS bnm briquettes tip folks..on sale today 2fora fiver today..
    Limit of 20 bales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

^Likewise, a big thank you to all the posters that flagged up that brilliant deal on the BNM briquettes with ABS up in JFK.
    Between myself and my brother, we snaffled 40 bales for €100 for our elderly mother's new stove.
    That's a saving of €60 on Woodies' prices atm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Grange Builders Providers Baldoyle

BNM briquettes €3.2915
    Warmflame firelogs €1.135

inc VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭galldar

Armelodie wrote: »
    Thanks for the ABS bnm briquettes tip folks..on sale today 2fora fiver today..
    Limit of 20 bales!

Wasn't able to get there myself today. Raging now, guy who told me about the offer said there was a limit of one offer per customer (i.e. 2 bales for fiver). Will be keeping a regular eye on their website in future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Not as good as Grange or ABS but B&Q today had 5 BNM briq bales for €18. The also had a deal of 20% off anything over a €50 spend but there were exclusions and I didnt check this out. Like others here was buying for the Mama so slaps on the back all round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭septicsac

Got 5 bags of stovoids from King Coal in Louth about 1 month ago. 85 euro for the 5 bags delivered to the door. I was out when they arrived so they even threw the bags into the bunker for 'er indoors. Cracking stuff, burns all night , good heat and very little left over from them, mostly down to ash. Definitely recommend them.

I brought my dad with me to abs, was tempted to send him in after me. We had the van, sure why not. Ah well. I'd say they would have taken it, either way.

briquettes 3 for 10 in TJ's again this saturday!

1492688_625770494151152_893848303_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Anyone in the Athlone area can get briquettes in Ganleys for 3.19 today, one day sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC00108_zps4ad030a9.jpg

Would this be value hardwood for 160e ?

Trailer looks a bit small to me .

Can't see the logs clearly, they might be freshly cut, which would be no good to burn.

Although if he threw in the trailer to sweeten the deal...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Has anyone considered burning food , terrible as that sounds ?

It's 20c/Kg so might be worth considering.

I don't know what the moisture content or the calorific value. AFAIK in Germany people found grain was cheaper than wood pellets. I don't know if if you need to modify your system to use it or not , or if there is more ash.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/grain-markets-markets-remain-steady-despite-maize-glut-151803/
    Spot price remains in the €207 to €210/t bracket for wheat, with barley once again in the €178 to €180/t range. And for the first time is quite a while imported maize has dropped below €200/t ex-port.

November ’14 prices have hardened somewhat with wheat quoted at €196/t by Glanbia earlier this week. And the trade indicate €180/t for dry November barley.

Or the strawman argument. ( 3c / Kg ? )

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057042859
    The MoU includes a framework pricing agreement for straw ‘on the ledge’ which sets a base price of €30 per tonne with bonuses for reduced moisture level plus a €2 per tonne straw conditioning bonus for material conditioned by the supplier combined with a guaranteed index linked upward only price review every year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I want to get a tonne of coal delivered.Can anyone recommend a supplier around the Athlone area or even someone who delivers nationwide that has good quality coal and decent prices ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    I want to get a tonne of coal delivered.Can anyone recommend a supplier around the Athlone area or even someone who delivers nationwide that has good quality coal and decent prices ?
    Bump

I need to get this sorted this week as I am buying it for someone and need it by xmas.See some good deals on donedeal but would have no way of knowing the quality.
    Can anyone recommend any of the places that are selling on donedeal, seem to be a few from northern Ireland with good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did you try Ganleys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

yabadabado wrote: »
    Bump

I need to get this sorted this week as I am buying it for someone and need it by xmas.See some good deals on donedeal but would have no way of knowing the quality.
    Can anyone recommend any of the places that are selling on donedeal, seem to be a few from northern Ireland with good value.

I'll try to get a number for you,I know a supplier in the midlands who has good coal.I'll pm you in the morning if I get it.

Did you try Ganleys?

yeah,about a week ago.Just seemed to be much better value to be got buying a tonne and I see some people on here have bought form the people on donedeal so if I can get a recommendation that is what I will do .

zerks wrote: »
    I'll try to get a number for you,I know a supplier in the midlands who has good coal.I'll pm you in the morning if I get it.

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

Anybody know any good deals on stove coal or something similar? Quantity doesn't really matter id take a tonne if it was at a good price. Based in dublin but id travel a fair bit if it was worth my while

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

Anyone know of any good coal bargains in Limerick/Clare/Tipp area? Need to stock up for Christmas/New Year

Anybody know any good deals on stove coal or something similar? Quantity doesn't really matter id take a tonne if it was at a good price. Based in dublin but id travel a fair bit if it was worth my while

Not sure if this is any use to you but it's €14 a bag here in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Centra on ballymahon road in Athlone have firelogs for one Euro each.
    Ganlys had bnm firelogs box 15 for 20e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Was in Ganlys athlone again today, BNM briquettes are 3.49e and bnm eco friendly wood logs are 3 for 9.95e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

would 3.19 a bale be good value for BNM Briquettes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

racso1975 wrote: »

Yes it would. I would love to get some at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

racso1975 wrote: »
    Share the wealth here dude !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Topline in Bagenalstownl, Carlow is selling BNM briquettes at that price tomorrow ;)

Ms Happy wrote: »
    Topline in Bagenalstownl, Carlow is selling BNM briquettes at that price tomorrow ;)

Ya beat me too it from 10am-5pm limit of 10 per person and 54 euro for for cubic metre of soft logs collected

Soft logs aren't great in general, they burn way too quick. Better off paying the extra for the hardwood ;)

• Advertisement

Soft logs aren't great in general, they burn way too quick. Better off paying the extra for the hardwood ;)

Oh right. I have a garage full anyhow from trees we cut from summer 2012 so should be ok till next winter at least!!! Good to know though

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

Anyone know the best value Coal in North Kildare area ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Looking at the price of 54e per cubic metre for softwood (assuming it's loose not stacked in a 1 cubic mtr bag and is under 25% mc) compared to 240e for a stacked cubic metre of 20% MC hardwood (Browns Cash Stores Castleisland Co Kerry yesterday).... I find it hard to agree that the hardwood is better value. ..

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Looking at the price of 54e per cubic metre for softwood (assuming it's loose not stacked in a 1 cubic mtr bag and is under 25% mc) compared to 240e for a stacked cubic metre of 20% MC hardwood (Browns Cash Stores Castleisland Co Kerry yesterday).... I find it hard to agree that the hardwood is better value. ..

Sure don't then ;)

It's been my experience that you could use 2/3 softwood logs before 1 hardwood.

Each to their own I suppose :)

ABS builders are still doing 3 for 10 on BnM briquettes. 2 for 30 on stove coal too. got some there the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement