Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Looking at the price of 54e per cubic metre for softwood (assuming it's loose not stacked in a 1 cubic mtr bag and is under 25% mc) compared to 240e for a stacked cubic metre of 20% MC hardwood (Browns Cash Stores Castleisland Co Kerry yesterday).... I find it hard to agree that the hardwood is better value. ..

Ignoring stove efficiency : 54e for bulk softwood is about 6c kwh, which is around/more than the price of coal.
    240e for stacked hardwood is about 11.5c kwh which is more than the price of oil - currently about 8.6c kwh,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

You also need to consider that burning softwoods will create much more tar and result in the flue/chimney needing cleaning more often and that isn't including the fact that you need to season softwood for at least 2 years +.

The only efficient/cost effective way of heating your house with timber is if you have your own trees or a free/very cheap supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

moodrater wrote: »
    Ignoring stove efficiency : 54e for bulk softwood is about 6c kwh, which is around/more than the price of coal.
    240e for stacked hardwood is about 11.5c kwh which is more than the price of oil - currently about 8.6c kwh,

I don't have a cost per kWh for the hardwood but using the Coford figure of 19.2MJ/kg the cost per kWh for the softwood is 5.11c which would be around/less than the price of coal and a good bit less than oil.

I don't have a cost per kWh for the hardwood but using the Coford figure of 19.2MJ/kg the cost per kWh for the softwood is 5.11c which would be around/less than the price of coal and a good bit less than oil.

Thats for dry matter what about the moisture content. Using the coford figures and say 20% moisture content.
    Net calorific = 19.2-(0.2164*20)= 14.872MJ/kg

monkeynuz wrote: »
    You also need to consider that burning softwoods will create much more tar and result in the flue/chimney needing cleaning more often and that isn't including the fact that you need to season softwood for at least 2 years +.

The only efficient/cost effective way of heating your house with timber is if you have your own trees or a free/very cheap supply.

If you are burning properly seasoned firewood, with a correct chimney and a properly operated stove you will not have an excessive buildup of tar necessitating frequent cleaning. Conversely if you burn wet firewood you will have a buildup of tar. Tar and creosote are not caused by the type of firewood but rather high moisture content in the firewood followed by poor operation of stoves.

The fact that it takes a long time to dry the firewood to the correct moisture content should not be an issue for you as a consumer as s you should be buying your firewood dry and ready to burn.

Certainly if you have your own supply of tree's and you have the equipment, sheds and time this will be the cheapest way of heating your house. Otherwise I would say that the next least expensive way of heating your house would be to buy good dry firewood in bulk loose loads.

moodrater wrote: »
    Thats for dry matter what about the moisture content. Using the coford figures and say 20% moisture content.
    Net calorific = 19.2-(0.2164*20)= 14.872MJ/kg

Yes absolutely, sorry for not being more clear, the 19.2 figure is NCV oven dry 0% MC.

If you are burning properly seasoned firewood, with a correct chimney and a properly operated stove you will not have an excessive buildup of tar necessitating frequent cleaning. Conversely if you burn wet firewood you will have a buildup of tar. Tar and creosote are not caused by the type of firewood but rather high moisture content in the firewood followed by poor operation of stoves.

The fact that it takes a long time to dry the firewood to the correct moisture content should not be an issue for you as a consumer as s you should be buying your firewood dry and ready to burn.

Certainly if you have your own supply of tree's and you have the equipment, sheds and time this will be the cheapest way of heating your house. Otherwise I would say that the next least expensive way of heating your house would be to buy good dry firewood in bulk loose loads.

Are you joking?

You have sort of misunderstood and misquoted my post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

So the most cost effective way of heating your house is good dry loose load hardwood?

Any recommendations from people for hardwood in Cork?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    So the most cost effective way of heating your house is good dry loose load hardwood?

Any recommendations from people for hardwood in Cork?

All depends on efficiency of your stove, and how dry and cheap the timber is. For most people coal at a decent price will be cheaper. It very difficult to know what you're getting with wood and the sellers take full advantage. Assuming its well dried a m3 of bulk timber could be the equivalent of as little as three bags of coal or as much as 6 bags. If its not well dried all bets are off. At average prices you see on donedeal etc. if your lucky enough to have mains gas it will be only fractionally more than good timber and you know what your getting. If you have an open fire then oil, gas, night electricity will be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

What I found gives the best heat from my stove (charnwood 16B) is if I put two big hardwood blocks on either side and stove coal in the middle, burns with great heat for a good long time.

I guess what I was wondering was since people can take advantage is who would people recommend in Cork for loads of hardwood?

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    What I found gives the best heat from my stove (charnwood 16B) is if I put two big hardwood blocks on either side and stove coal in the middle, burns with great heat for a good long time.

I guess what I was wondering was since people can take advantage is who would people recommend in Cork for loads of hardwood?[/

Make friends with a tree surgeon.

Most guys selling timber locally won't be storing or drying it properly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeynuz View Post

Today, 05:30 #708
    monkeynuz

Are you joking?

Hi Monkeynuz,
    No I'm not joking and I don't understand why you ask that.
    Also I have not misquoted you, as I didnt quote you in my reply, rather I simply addressed the points that you raised which I do not agree with and which are from a factual point of view incorrect.

It notion that burning correctly seasoned softwoods causes an excessive buildup of creosote is a myth, it simply is not true. So no i wasn't joking I just wanted to clarify this point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeynuz View Post

Today, 05:30 #708
    monkeynuz

Are you joking?

Hi Monkeynuz,
    No I'm not joking and I don't understand why you ask that.
    Also I have not misquoted you, as I didnt quote you in my reply, rather I simply addressed the points that you raised which I do not agree with and which are from a factual point of view incorrect.

It notion that burning correctly seasoned softwoods causes an excessive buildup of creosote is a myth, it simply is not true. So no i wasn't joking I just wanted to clarify this point.

No point commenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

B&q have 20% off everything at moment if you spend over€50.
    9 bales of b na m briquettes at €18 per 3 works out at €2.88 per bail.
    Loads in Mahon point this am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

B&q have 20% off everything at moment if you spend over€50.
    9 bales of b na m briquettes at €18 per 3 works out at €2.88 per bail.
    Loads in Mahon point this am
    Are you sure of the maths on this? If 3 bales cost €18 - that's €6 a bale. With 20 percent off purchases over €50 that is surely €1.20 a bale discount making each bale €4.80??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

€18 for 5 bales id say so 15 bales for 43.20 after discount would be 2.88 per bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

€18 for 5 bales id say so 15 bales for 43.20 after discount would be 2.88 per bale.

That sounds a bit better - I hope the OP bought 15! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Sorry folks, got it a##ways but the bottom line is 2.88 a bale when you buy 15. The drink is catching me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

Remember a while back someone was asking where they could get polish coal near south dublin / enniskerry area since the scalp service station stopped selling it.

Crimmons garage in enniskerry village is on the road out onto the N11 is selling Staffords polish coal 40kg the same as the scalp was selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bump

Any deals?
    Wicklow area?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

The Cope Dungloe, 5 bags Premium Polish 40Kg €71 or 10 bags €140, free delivery within catchment area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone know where I can get Polish coal delivered in Dublin?

quarryman wrote: »

Legally you can't as the greater Dublin area has to use only smokeless fuels.

Nothing stopping you going to suburbs/example Bray and buy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

quarryman wrote: »

You cannot either buy or burn Polish coal in Dublin

Remember Ireland is trying to reduce its carbon footprint :)

Any good fuel deals in Wicklow sick of spending a fortune on briquettes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

Bump

Any deals?
    Wicklow area?

Can get 3 bnm briquettes for €11 in glenealy at the post office

vickers209 wrote: »
    Can get 3 bnm briquettes for €11 in glenealy at the post office

Thanks fo the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

nunn351 wrote: »

Strange. I had been getting it from here a couple of months ago:

http://www.homefuel.ie

(Gone now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Looking to get the best deal on coal in the Limerick area.. could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

nunn351 wrote: »

Nothing to do with carbon footprint, smokeless coal has a higher carbon content. Its the patriculate matter (smog) , sulfur dioxide and poly aliphatic hydrocarbons (PAH) that are the main concern. Studies in china have shown that people burning smokeless coal / anthracite throughout their life are about 40 times less lightly to develop lung cancer as those that burn bituminous coal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I got 40kg sack of Doubles for ten quid in Culaville (north) when I was passing through.

Pretty underwhelmed by what I got frankly. Great heat but low burn time and a lot of un burnt stones left in the grate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mike125615

Does anyone know where I can get phurnacite coal in tralee./kilarney area?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Anyone got a good price on briquettes recently in Dublin please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Anyone got a good price on briquettes recently in Dublin please?

still 3 for 10 in ABS by the looks of things: http://www.absdiy.ie/home-fuels-specials.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

jameshayes wrote: »
    still 3 for 10 in ABS by the looks of things: http://www.absdiy.ie/home-fuels-specials.html

Some great prices there, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Just a reminder that phase 2 of the carbon tax increase comes in from the 1st of may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

drumswan wrote: »
    Some great prices there, thanks.

Anyone know of similar prices on the north side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm sure most employees already know but if you work for bord na Mona or one of its subsidiaries you can get heavily discounted briquettes or coal. Works out at less than €2.70 for a bale of briquettes if you buy a pallet. Coal is 13.50 a bag for black diamond and 14.50 smokeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Boscod

Looking for Ecobrite in Dublin area (25 bags). Anyone know of where I can get a good deal.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

1 more full day to go before the increase. I bought 15 bales of briquettes today in abs in bluebell, fantastic at 3 for a tenner and the bags of logs are the same price too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

1 more full day to go before the increase. I bought 15 bales of briquettes today in abs in bluebell, fantastic at 3 for a tenner and the bags of logs are the same price too

Two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Tomorrow is increase day, carbon tax phase 2 comes in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

how much would you save buying a ton today, rather than tomorrow ? the ton about €325 at the moment i believe ?

edit: never mind, see it's €1.20 per 40kg bag, so a ton costing €325 today, will cost €355 tomorrow

2smiggy wrote: »
    how much would you save buying a ton today, rather than tomorrow ? the ton about €325 at the moment i believe ?

It's increasing just over a Euro per 40kg bag.

The current Carbon Tax rate is €26.33 per ton, there are twenty five 40kg bags in a ton. The new rate of Carbon Tax starting tomorrow will be doubled to €52.66 per ton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Aenaes wrote: »
    It's increasing just over a Euro per 40kg bag.

The current Carbon Tax rate is €26.33 per ton, there are twenty five 40kg bags in a ton. The new rate of Carbon Tax starting tomorrow will be doubled to €52.66 per ton.

cheers, just edited as you replied !

Do we thank the Green Party do gooders for this?

Soon we will have no money to spend on anything but TAX.

Is there any deals in Wicklow area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Do we thank the Green Party do gooders for this?

Soon we will have no money to spend on anything but TAX.

Is there any deals in Wicklow area?

No green party TDs when this was increased in December 2012. We know where this money is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No green party TDs when this was increased in December 2012. We know where this money is going.

I thought this is laid solely at the Green Party's door, introduced in 2010, proposed in 2009 ?

That was the first Carbon Tax, proposed in 2009, introduced in 2010 and increased in 2012. http://www.publicpolicy.ie/budget-2013-three-cheers-for-the-carbon-tax/

What is bring increased from May 1st 2014, is the Solid Fuel Carbon Tax. It was introduced on May 1st 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Greens came up with the name so their to blame.

And thats why they dont have TD's in the dail.

Advertisement