Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭shanye

Any one doing good deals around the Castlebar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

shanye wrote: »
    Any one doing good deals around the Castlebar.

If you are looking for firewood, do a search on done deal. There are a few suppliers in Mayo, and some of them appear to have good value.

EDIT: Heiton- Buckleys in Castlebar are having a big one-day Sale next Saturday. Some good fuel offers in it.

4 x 40kg bags of Premium Polish coal - €60.00.

2 x 40kg bags of coal + 3 x 10kg bale briquettes + 3 x 10kg bales of High Heat wood logs + 3-bag coal bunker - all for €115.00.

4 only x 400kg crate of kiln dried Ash hardwood - €175.00.

Branch Tel No. 094-9021377. This info came throuh the letterbox last Thursday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Grain and Straw prices by comparison http://www.ifa.ie/market-reports/market-reports-10/
    Spot dried Irish wheat (collected ex-store) is trading from €160/t to €162/t, with Oct-Dec +€3/t and Jan-Apr +€5/t over spot prices. There were some new crop offers for Oct-Nov 2015 at €183/t to €184/t over the last few days.

Dried barley for immediate movement is trading from €153/t to €155/t however; there are not many sellers into this short market. Barley for Oct-Dec is +€4/t with Jan-Apr +€6/t over spot. Spot maize prices are a little stronger at €174/t but weaker further out at €169/t.

Biotricity stepped into the market purchasing 13,000t straw for the current year with the intention of ratcheting it up to 100,000t for the 2016 harvest. While the spot market for straw, particularly for round bales, remains sluggish in surplus areas, demand for feed quality straw in the northern part of the country remains strong. 4 x 4 rounds are trading from €8/bale in surplus areas to €14/bale in deficit areas. The demand for big squares has increased dramatically in recent years as they are more attractive for haulage and storage.

DM is Dry Matter - rough estimate of how much straw there is in a bale http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/dairy/care-must-be-taken-when-purchasing-forage-as-quality-can-vary-widely-204235.html
    Small square bales of straw weighing 12.5kg, and 4x4 round bales of straw weighing 150kg, contain 11kg and 132kg of DM respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Cool story bro^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Cool story bro^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rorobobo

Anyone know of any good deals in the Dublin 24 area or that would deliver to D24? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

rorobobo wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good deals in the Dublin 24 area or that would deliver to D24? Thanks :)

I posted this when they had a sale
    darconio wrote: »
    Tallaghtfuel are having a sale on their 5/10 bags special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

EDIT: Heiton- Buckleys in Castlebar are having a big one-day Sale next Saturday. Some good fuel offers in it.

4 x 40kg bags of Premium Polish coal - €60.00.

2 x 40kg bags of coal + 3 x 10kg bale briquettes + 3 x 10kg bales of High Heat wood logs + 3-bag coal bunker - all for €115.00.

4 only x 400kg crate of kiln dried Ash hardwood - €175.00.

Branch Tel No. 094-9021377. This info came throuh the letterbox last Thursday.

Is this deal in other Heiton Buckleys??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bmm wrote: »
    Is this deal in other Heiton Buckleys??

Afaik no. Seems to be similar to what Chadwicks did last year. They had one-day Madness Sales in different branches at different times of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Discount fuels near Kinsale roundabout are selling 3 bales of B na M briquettes for 11 euro. http://discountfuels.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Chadwicks in Lucan Co Dublin had 10 briquettes for €38 in their one day sale last week. I was told by a staff member they will be holding this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Chadwicks in Lucan Co Dublin had 10 briquettes for €38 in their one day sale last week. I was told by a staff member they will be holding this price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC03729_zps516058e7.jpg

Was offered three bags of Turf for €20 today - anyone know if this is value ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Was offered three bags of Turf for €20 today - anyone know if this is value ?[/quote]

Depends how big are the bags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

They seem to be fertilizier bags? If so, seems to be value enough. Not a rip-off but no real bargain either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Aenaes wrote: »
    They seem to be fertilizier bags? If so, seems to be value enough. Not a rip-off but no real bargain either.

Just a regular size fertiliser bag .........Have some in the fire now , but not burning very well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just a regular size fertiliser bag .........Have some in the fire now , but not burning very well .

yeah it looks very "heavy" . tis fairly dear either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

A fiver a bag for turf would be the usual going rate

dirtyden wrote: »
    A fiver a bag for turf would be the usual going rate

No it wouldn't.

Go on done deal and you can turf for €3 a bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

After the summer we've just had I certainly wouldn't pay over €3 for a bag of turf. Buying in bulk I'd expect to half that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that you can buy bags of slack ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that you can buy bags of slack ?

Im just off the phone to Gordons fuels in Harolds Cross because I was looking for some myself. He said you wont get it in Dublin now because of the ban on smokey fuels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Ok thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soccermad1

Hey just left dairygold rathduff cork ,went down to get the buy 4 and get one free in the Sutton's coal offer.Well ive just left empty handed and very angry.they have the offer at 87.50 for 4 bags with 1 free.they also do 2 bags for 36.50 of the same coal,so if I bought 4 bags it would be 73.00 ,meaning I'm getting fcuk all for free they are actually charging me 14.50 for it.....stay well clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're saving about 4 euro on the five bag deal, it's not a huge amount at all but it's something. I'd suspect there could be better elsewhere though

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soccermad1

Its the fact that they are advertising it as buy 4 get one free .....your not getting one free your paying more for 4 bags in the 4 with one free offer as oppose to just buying 4 bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi currently have BNM Peat Briquettes @ €3.99 per bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Garvey's Roscommon this Saturday, 10 BNM bales for €38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aldi currently have BNM Peat Briquettes @ €3.99 per bale.

For those on the northside of Dublin Grange in Baldoyle are selling them for €3.55 per bale. Just make sure you get there before Paddy147..

Cocoon wrote: »
    For those on the northside of Dublin Grange in Baldoyle are selling them for €3.55 per bale. Just make sure you get there before Paddy147..
    Do they deliver to the southside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Do they deliver to the southside?

As far as I know that's their collected price.

Anyone know of any deals on logs around south Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭itsallok

Bargain House Dundalk:

20Kg Union Coal Nuggets €7.99 or 2 for €15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

itsallok wrote: »
    Bargain House Dundalk:

20Kg Union Coal Nuggets €7.99 or 2 for €15

that's lignite very low energy content compared to real coal

moodrater wrote: »
    that's lignite very low energy content compared to real coal

That's why I mentioned the name of the coal, so that others could make that distinction. The fact remains that €7.99 for 20Kg / €15 for 40Kg is about 20% lower than I've seen elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Looking for turf, logs, coal in Blanchardstown area, any idea's? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Looking for turf, logs, coal in Blanchardstown area, any idea's? Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/patsturf.andlogs?fref=ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Fiver Friday tomorrow, ABS are doing 1 and 1/2 bales for €5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Has anyone any suggestions for the Sligo area. Is there much of a difference across the border?

Looking for anthracite and ecoglo mainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭tenreds

Has anyone any suggestions for the Sligo area. Is there much of a difference across the border?

You can get ecoglow in Derry for £12.50/€15.00 for a 40kg bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone here any idea if it would be worth while going up north and filling 4x4 trooper with coal/logs suitable for a stove or would costs balance out with fuel used to get there and back.

Going from Wicklow.

Or any places doing good deals on nuggets or such that is suitable for stoves in or around Wicklow

Anyone here any idea if it would be worth while going up north and filling 4x4 trooper with coal/logs suitable for a stove or would costs balance out with fuel used to get there and back.

Going from Wicklow.

Or any places doing good deals on nuggets or such that is suitable for stoves in or around Wicklow

To be honest, fuel cost + crappy exchange rate, Idon't see any value in that, and I'm only 10 mins away from the border....

itsallok wrote: »
    To be honest, fuel cost + crappy exchange rate, Idon't see any value in that, and I'm only 10 mins away from the border....
    Thanks for the reply;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

We have bought "seconds" direct from Arigna Mines - We haven't been for about 18mths as we have been burning mostly turf and timber recently but then ( before Carbon taxes went on) it was €12 for a 40kg bag. The "seconds" is a mix of ecobrite and cosyglo.. I think its good stuff, some bags mostly ecobrite - You are taking a chance as it is a mix.

You have to collect from Arigna but might be worth ringing them to see if they still do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

emg74 wrote: »
    We have bought "seconds" direct from Arigna Mines - We haven't been for about 18mths as we have been burning mostly turf and timber recently but then ( before Carbon taxes went on) it was €12 for a 40kg bag. The "seconds" is a mix of ecobrite and cosyglo.. I think its good stuff, some bags mostly ecobrite - You are taking a chance as it is a mix.

You have to collect from Arigna but might be worth ringing them to see if they still do this

Surely it would be cheaper to buy it loose if you have a big enough trailer .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I called Arigna in september about the rejects and ithe price quoted was cheaper by the bag than by the ton and worked out more expensive than getting the real deal from coop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

Going from Wicklow.

Which side of wicklow you on?

vickers209 wrote: »
    Which side of wicklow you on?

near rathnew

near rathnew

Il check the price for a pallet of nuggets collected in rathnew in the morning for you

€600 for a pallet of 40 40kg bags of lignite union nuggets that's €15 per bag collected in rathnew

• Advertisement
Advertisement