Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

glog wrote: »
    Ring them and ask them:

Arigna Fuels +353 7196 46002

Is it cheaper here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

brokenarms wrote: »
    Yes. but there are many types of nugget coal. Some I found where not up to much.

This is the stuff that I used last year.
    0052047.jpg

Best I have found.

Was 18 euro for 35kg but it went for ages . A saving compared to polish coal.

Great all day heat once it got going.

Not sure it would be any good in a open fire

Its 32MJ ~ 10kwh per kg vs 26MJ ~ 7.2kwh per kg for polish coal. I find it needs more draught though so I'm not sure how much of that extra energy goes up the chimney.

It doesn't have a high enough volatile content for an open fire so you'll end up with cinders, some people burn it successfully in an open fire by mixing it with more volatile coals. Really anyone with an open fire should be investing in a stove rather than buying more expensive coal.

It is amazing the difference though, it burns all the old soot off the inside of the stove, the bricks end up looking like new. Our chimney last year had about a milimeter of feathery soot, no tar or creosote to speak of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The BnM Gems coal works well in my stove....a small shovel full of them placed in ontop of red hot briquettes and log ashes and they burn nicely.

Give good heat too.

I think they cost me 17 euro per 40kg bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭glog

ccull123 wrote: »
    Is it cheaper here?

Arigna make the nuggets and sell through distributers (I presume) as EcoBrite.
    (Although, you might be able to buy direct from the Arigna yard in Carrick on Shannon.)
    BnM get the same nugget and sell it in bags called 'Premium Stove Fuel'.

BnM sell it in 35Kg bags and Arigna in 40Kg bags, for obvious marketing reasons i guess.

Tip: Whichever is cheaper per Kg, buy that one ! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

The price of these ,Is it a miss print or is it result of the good old carbon tax.The last time I bought them they were 2 for €7 I think.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Bord-Na-Mona-Briquette-Bale/11615/11#.UjGN-3-UJrU

• Advertisement

Arigna make the nuggets and sell through distributers (I presume) as EcoBrite.
    (Although, you might be able to buy direct from the Arigna yard in Carrick on Shannon.)
    BnM get the same nugget and sell it in bags called 'Premium Stove Fuel'.

BnM sell it in 35Kg bags and Arigna in 40Kg bags, for obvious marketing reasons i guess.

Tip: Whichever is cheaper per Kg, buy that one ! ;):D

For any locals, Ecobrite is 17 euro in Wards in Roscommon, everyone else is taking the piss adding on random amounts of 'carbon tax'

codie wrote: »
    The price of these ,Is it a miss print or is it result of the good old carbon tax.The last time I bought them they were 2 for €7 I think.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Bord-Na-Mona-Briquette-Bale/11615/11#.UjGN-3-UJrU

They're taking the piss thats more expensive than oil per kwh in a stove, twice the price of electricity in an open fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

paddyp wrote: »
    They're taking the piss thats more expensive than oil per kwh in a stove, twice the price of electricity in an open fire.

Its a bloody rip-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

codie wrote: »

I've bought three for seven on a forecourt. Shame on Woodies !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Woodies had them as 2 for €7.50 last year (€3.75 e). Reasonable value. Local Centra had them as 3 for €11 (€3.66e). Chadwicks selling for that sort of price individually. Might stock up on a few this weekend before they all start raising the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

MugMugs wrote: »
    I've bought three for seven on a forecourt. Shame on Woodies !

They Bord na Mona ones? Some of the others can be for want of a better word kinda crap!!

They Bord na Mona ones? Some of the others can be for want of a better word kinda crap!!

Yeah, BnM ones.

Bought them on the N2 Texaco just up from the Ward Cross about March / April of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Yeah, BnM ones.

Bought them on the N2 Texaco just up from the Ward Cross about March / April of this year.

Carbon tax plus inflation will mean they a fair bit dearer now.

Carbon tax plus inflation will mean they a fair bit dearer now.

Carbon tax should be 22.9c on briquettes this year, twice that next year.
    Net inflation from this time last year is about 0.3%,.

The massive increase in prices is just the usual thing, when the government increases taxes x% businesses increase the prices 2x%,3x%,4x%,etc.

Rang a crowd just now and they are offering a 40kg bag of staffords coal union nuggets for €21.20 .

Is this stuff any good?

See link

http://www.staffordfuels.ie/index.php?contentid=smokeless-fuel-range

Rang a crowd just now and they are offering a 40kg bag of staffords coal union nuggets for €21.20 .

Is this stuff any good?

See link

No!

Union nuggets are lignite, only slightly higher energy than peat briquettes and tons of ash. They are robbing you blind at that price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

amber2 wrote: »
    Seeing as we are posting pics of our kippins, here goes.
    if you call that "kippins" i cant wait to see a pic of yer logs :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

This is the exact same nugget as EcoBrite, just re-packaged by BnM.
    It comes out of Arigna.
    I have always found it slightly cheaper as EcoBrite.

I found the eco brite stuff a bit hard to get the last time.
    I guess it all depends who has it close to you home. I spent a while on google trying to way up petrol costs and getting the stuff home from the other end on the county.
    Turns out Mc Cartys in Prosperous had the Board na Mona stuff. I hope they get it again as it is local to me.

I did not know it was the same. Thanks for that. ;)

The trouble I had with timber was the time involved . I always had a tree chopped from the year before. Then stacked. Days of work.
    It attracted rats where I live also. Lots of places for them to set up a home. There is nothing that make you jump out of your skin quicker than lifting a log to find an angry rat panicking with it young.

Poison just made them die and rot in the timber. Twice I had to bin a large percentage of it because of this. I would advise those of you with stacks of drying timber to purchase a couple of big snap traps . B&Q sell them for a 5er.
    I did find even in my little Oisin stove that a couple of baskets where needed for a days worth of burning. Plus even dry, the common spruce and soft wood trees caused a lot of gunk in the flu. Oak is great but take 2 years to dry properly.
    It would work if you had plenty of space and time to dry it cleanly . But i did not. Tarps don't really do it correctly either . Seven years I was at it. I keep some as a back up and for kindling all the same. If you see any old hardwood furniture or windows. Grab it. Its the best for home heat and kindling I found.

DoneDeal currently have a competition on where you can win a Pallet of BCosy Briquettes.

http://blog.donedeal.ie/2013/09/get-cosy-and-win/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Fiolina wrote: »
    Bales of briquettes €3.29 in Grange Builder's Providers in Baldoyle

Worth bumping this again as they appear to be the cheapest around Dublin at the moment, and I doubt they will be got anywhere else for cheaper.

Bought 15 bales myself this morning. Only 1 and 1/2 pallets left. Guy I asked didn't know when they were getting any more in but said that was it for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

might take a trip down and get some before there all gone

dfbemt wrote: »
    Worth bumping this again as they appear to be the cheapest around Dublin at the moment, and I doubt they will be got anywhere else for cheaper.

Bought 15 bales myself this morning. Only 1 and 1/2 pallets left. Guy I asked didn't know when they were getting any more in but said that was it for the moment.

Just picked up 10 bales. A little over a pallet left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭vickers209

Is this stuff any good?

See link

No mad price I can get that for 16 collect or 17.50 delivered or €1 off them prices per bag if you take 10 bags
    Heard there might be a price increse come them end of this month on all coal products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Just picked up 10 bales. A little over a pallet left.

If/When grange run out ive 17 pallets :D

If/When grange run out ive 17 pallets :D

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 orchardfarmer

Yeah, BnM ones.

i would doubt this very much unless they are selling at loss or made a mistake

Carbon tax should be 22.9c on briquettes this year, twice that next year.

The massive increase in prices is just the usual thing, when the government increases taxes x% businesses increase the prices 2x%,3x%,4x%,etc.

bulls**t

i would doubt this very much unless they are selling at loss or made a mistake

I am quite sure that it was me putting bales into my car after purchasing them for the above. :confused:

I am quite sure that it was me putting bales into my car after purchasing them for the above. :confused:
    3 bales for € 7 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That's what they said !

Thats some difference in tax rates, so basically, stock up now then with as much fuel as we can store!

[SIZE=2]Carbon tax should be 22.9c on briquettes this year, twice that next year.

The massive increase in prices is just the usual thing, when the government increases taxes x% businesses increase the prices 2x%,3x%,4x%,etc.[/SIZE]

I am not questioning the rate of carbon tax which you have quoted correctly.

It is the underlined section of your post which is not correct. Coal prices around here have increased by the carbon tax only, not 2, 3 or 4 times the carbon tax like you suggest. I would ask you get your facts straight before posting such rubbish.

Also worth mentioning there is 13.5% Vat on top of the carbon tax (eg for coal 26.33+vat)
    user_offline.pngreport.gif

vicwatson wrote: »
    That's what they said !

Sir,
    3 bales for €7 equates to € 2.33 per bale including vat.
    I can tell you that the wholesale price for a 28 ton lorry load of bord na mona briquettes collected x the factory in Birr is substantially MORE than this.
    I would suggest one of the following has happened;
    -the poster above has got his price/quantity wrong
    -the shop is selling at a significant loss
    -the shop has made a mistake in charging the poster

but one thing for sure, you will not buy 3 briquettes for €7 anywhere in Ireland.

Coal prices around here have increased by the carbon tax only, not 2, 3 or 4 times the carbon tax like you suggest.

Yes we are an island of saints an scholars and honest business people. No business person would ever take advantage of a new tax or levy to max some extra money. Its not happening in your backyard so its not happening.

My comment was in response to "Carbon tax plus inflation will mean they a fair bit dearer now." People genuinely expect it to be a 'fair bit' dearer so the suppliers can raise the prices a fair bit. Suppliers around here put 2 euro on the stove coals and 50c+ on briquettes and blamed it on carbon tax, I have first hand similar accounts from Cork and Dublin.

The same thing happens every budget with petrol, diesel and kerosene, the prices go up the day /night before the budget, then they add the carbon tax on top on budget day. You'll find plenty of threads about it on here and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Is this a good price for this coal or does anyone know of any better in north Dublin?

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Mobile/Product/35Kg-Black-Diamond-Coal/18119/3.5.9

Is this a good price for this coal or does anyone know of any better in north Dublin?

You might get it cheaper down in Eddies fuel yard beside Priory Hall/Clongriffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Any good deals going in the Drogheda area? Thinking about using those clean coal nugets in the stove this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

B&Q has 10kg bags of smokeless fuel at 5 for €30 (+ extra 10% off for oldies (thursday I think) or trade card members)

Per kg it not an amazing deal, but if you have elderly parents or find it difficult to lift heavy bags, these are great value. They are also in sealed bags, so clean to handle too.

Heat is very good from it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I think i was paying 17 or 18 a bag in TJ O'Mahoneys last year in ballymount, i think they have a shop in finglas?

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote: »
    I think i was paying 17 or 18 a bag in TJ O'Mahoneys last year in ballymount, i think they have a shop in finglas?

Killshane Cross to be more specific,which is well out away from the main Finglas area itself.;)

Theres also a large steel stockholders right beside them too.

T.J O'Mahony, Kilshane Cross, North Rd, Finglas, Dublin 11.
    Tel: 01 844 8080
    Fax: 01 844 8048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

Paddy these recent posts with no pics are not your style,
    please get back on track, some posts of briquettes and led bulbs preferably in the same pic!

brightkane wrote: »
    Paddy these recent posts with no pics are not your style,
    please get back on track, some posts of briquettes and led bulbs preferably in the same pic!

Ah its rescued ex-battery hens and fresh eggs these days for me...:pac:

My girlfriend got them last Monday and they now live down the back of our back garden,free to roam around and give us fresh eggs each day.:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86487731&postcount=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

Love the pics paddy, thinking of rescuing some myself in the near future.
    i have 3 hens already, they are great craic, spoiled rotten they are!

Now, is anyone going to suggest to me where is the best value for turf?
    Chimney cleaned, im raring to go with the first fire of the season!

so paddy, when are we all getting some of those eggs,hay? :)

bri007 wrote: »
    so paddy, when are we all getting some of those eggs,hay? :)

You could have had lots of both today at the "Taste of Fingal" Show in Newbridge House.

Fantastic afternoon out with the family.

Hores riding,show jumping,eggs,hens,ducks,geese, and lots more things to see,do and make.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Supervalu in Arklow have a 12 pack of strogs for €3.25. They are more briquette shaped than the baguette shaped ones last year

Also in Arklow, bolands are selling a bale of briquettes for €3.95

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

just outside Naas town not sure what the place is called, 5 bags of turf €15, 5 bags of logs €15, 4 bales of briquettes €15 which works out at €3.75 a bale. It's a fruit and veg shop with loads of fuel outside and they put the stuff in the car for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

casio4 wrote: »
    just outside Naas town not sure what the place is called, 5 bags of turf €15, 5 bags of logs €15, 4 bales of briquettes €15 which works out at €3.75 a bale. It's a fruit and veg shop with loads of fuel outside and they put the stuff in the car for you :)

Can you narrow it down a bit? What road out of Naas? Where is it near?

Passing Naas later this week, might drop by if you can narrow it down a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    Supervalu in Arklow have a 12 pack of strogs for €3.25. They are more briquette shaped than the baguette shaped ones last year

Strogs suck - burn fast, not much heat, loads of ash...

• Advertisement
Advertisement