Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Check who you're texting

• 28-09-2012 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/when-sexting-goes-so-wrong-you-end-up-in-jail/story-fnd134gw-1226483203125

The 24-year-old swimming coach ended up in prison for sex offences after the text also found its way to two young schoolgirls.
    Evans had typed an intimate invitation to his girlfriend asking her if she would like to engage in sex with him "skin on skin". Excruciatingly, a slip of the fingers on his BlackBerry smartphone resulted in it going out via BlackBerry Messenger to all the numbers on his phone.

But as well as having to deal with the humiliation of his family reading the message, Evans's mistake led to far more serious consequences. Among the recipients of the text were two girls aged 13 and 14, which led to Evans, who teaches swimming in a leisure centre, being arrested and charged with causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

How costly a slip of the finger could be. Poor guy will probably always have people questioning his intentions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ken wrote: »
    How costly a slip of the finger could be.

Depends who you slip it into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Just when you think you've heard all the excuses... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why is there even an option to so easily send a text to everyone on your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

It would have been better if he had sent a picture of his cock.....or a pic of his finger up his bullet hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

ScumLord wrote: »

In case you need to organize an orgy on short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

benwavner wrote: »
    It would have been better if he had sent a picture of his cock.....or a pic of his finger up his bullet hole.

That's not easy to take, believe me :o

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Sending a text to the wrong person is my worst nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

ZOMG like Sending a text to the wrong person is like so worst nightmare. like omg hashtag total fail and stuff

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yeah, this happens to me all the time. I text the wife and ask her to get a curry on the way and 300 curries turn up 45 minutes later. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭rockclover1

very unfortuanate

• Advertisement

benwavner wrote: »
    It would have been better if he had sent a picture of his cock..... or a pic of his finger up his bullet hole.

ahh leaveh ouhh... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Surely they would have been able to ascertain that the same message was sent out to all the contacts on the phone?

You wouldn't exactly go about seeking underage sex by sending the same message to your parents and workmates would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

My mate once send a message asking for a picture of some girls cat . (poontang but worded cat )
    It went to his ma by accident . She just texted back "no" .
    She didnt even have a cat .

Rigol wrote: »
    fyp

Fix it again and speak English this time. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I wonder how many replies he got?

Seriously, imagine if you sent out a text to all of your contacts of the opposite sex, hitting on them.... I reckon you'd get a few eye opening replies :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Remember the old semens C35 just one press of "C" and an entire message would be completely deleted.

Its probably bad functionallity maybe he could blaim RIM for their phone design...

Sauve wrote: »
    I wonder how many replies he got?

Seriously, imagine if you sent out a text to all of your contacts of the opposite sex, hitting on them.... I reckon you'd get a few eye opening replies :pac:

A couple of times I've had my work phone unlock in my pocket and send garbled junk to people in my contacts list, I never bother sending apology messages though, that only makes it more embarrassing, I assume most people have the common sense to just delete the message!

Damn touchscreens, hate 'em! :mad:

A couple of times I've had my work phone unlock in my pocket and send garbled junk to people in my contacts list, I never bother sending apology messages though, that only makes it more embarrassing, I assume most people have the common sense to just delete the message!

Damn touchscreens, hate 'em! :mad:
    That used to happen with my Samsung Omnia, I don't think it was an accident though that phone was a prick and I think it was doing it on purpose. It would go through my messages and send off random old text messages to random people on my contacts list. I hated that phone so much, I still won't buy Samsung products because of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Remember the old semens C35 just one press of "C" and an entire message would be completely deleted.

Its probably bad functionallity maybe he could blaim RIM for their phone design...

it's Friday, I'm easily amused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Check who I'm texting? I updated to iOS 6 a while ago and one of the things it did was make a shared photo stream to people you regularly send photos to by email, one being my sister in Australia. So that meant that a huge chunk of my photos became pretty much public to all these people, including some of my "private" pics...

I think half a day went by without me realising and thank **** I caught it out in time so nobody saw them. I hope! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

18 months? How the **** did he get 18 months for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

spoofilyj wrote: »

it's Friday, I'm easily amused
    Ah! Stop putting ideas in my head! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Too fishy.

What kind of a sham solicitor couldn't annihiliate those charges in a second by showing that the message was sent to all of his contacts at once?

At worst such a mistake could have you charged with sending lewd or offensive communications, but inciting a minor to engage in sex? C'mon. There has to be more to the case than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

seamus wrote: »
    Too fishy.

What kind of a sham solicitor couldn't annihiliate those charges in a second by showing that the message was sent to all of his contacts at once?

At worst such a mistake could have you charged with sending lewd or offensive communications, but inciting a minor to engage in sex? C'mon. There has to be more to the case than that.

Was thinking this was a completely over the top sentence, then read the article.
    The judge, sitting with Mr Justice Coulson and Mrs Justice Thirlwall, added that the sentence, which he also reduced to nine months, would be suspended ‘given the unusual circumstances’ and freed Evans.

Still insane he has any sort of a sentence at all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So we can have funny stories like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Swimming coach

who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

They lock him up for that but give suspended sentences to thieves and people arrested for assault. Bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

You're, not your.

It's not difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

18 months for a mistake like that is fecking harsh!

The text was sent to everyone in his contacts list. Its not like it was revealed only to a select few... it was a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

This has happened to me, more than once ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Too fishy.

Or he was so sure that it would be thrown out that he didn't bother with a solicitor, then got a technophobic magistrate who didn't have a clue what was going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm runjing a wee bit late, I'll be there in twenty minutes xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Really.... Who gives a sh1t

There are worse things happening in the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

ken wrote: »
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/when-sexting-goes-so-wrong-you-end-up-in-jail/story-fnd134gw-1226483203125

The 24-year-old swimming coach ended up in prison for sex offences after the text also found its way to two young schoolgirls.
    Evans had typed an intimate invitation to his girlfriend asking her if she would like to engage in sex with him "skin on skin". Excruciatingly, a slip of the fingers on his BlackBerry smartphone resulted in it going out via BlackBerry Messenger to all the numbers on his phone.

But as well as having to deal with the humiliation of his family reading the message, Evans's mistake led to far more serious consequences. Among the recipients of the text were two girls aged 13 and 14, which led to Evans, who teaches swimming in a leisure centre, being arrested and charged with causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

How costly a slip of the finger could be. Poor guy will probably always have people questioning his intentions.

Aside from the obvious advice of being careful. Surely the most important lesson is that if you're a swim coach, don't keep contact details for 13 and 14 year old girls on your phone. Make contact through the parents if required.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Aside from the obvious advice of being careful. Surely the most important lesson is that if you're a swim coach, don't keep contact details for 13 and 14 year old girls on your phone. Make contact through the parents if required.
    It's easy enough to end up with phone numbers for people that you have only rang once or twice. You put the number into your phone out of necessity and once you don't need to ring them again you just forget about the number being on your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

9 month suspended message still seems fairly harsh. This will have a severely negative impact on his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Invites for weddings,
    Christmas greetings,
    goodbye world messages.

Plenty.

poisonated wrote: »
    9 month suspended message still seems fairly harsh. This will have a severely negative impact on his life.

Not really.

Only an issue if he commits a serious offence again. If he does, then he deserves no pity, so who really gives a flying monkeys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Not really.

Only an issue if he commits a serious offence again.
    It's an issue for many jobs he might apply for.

And "again"??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Not really.

Only an issue if he commits a serious offence again. If he does, then he deserves no pity, so who really gives a flying monkeys?

Like this "serious" offence you mean?

Probably best to just hang him now to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

I was drunk one nite and sent a rather saucy message to the girlfriend (or so I thought). Turns out I sent it to over 100 people in my address book. I was so mortified that I changed my number and told everyone that my phone was stolen in the bar. It worked, I think! Got a few funny looks for weeks after. I always double check who I text now, and turn off the phone when I'm drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I was once caught out badly like this. Was looking at houses and put the estate agents number in my phone. Her name starts with the same letter as my husbands so replaced his in the contacts as the first name with that letter. When I drove past my hubby standing at the bus stop (the day after meeting the female agent) I sent a joke message to him saying 'you look like a prostitute!' My hubby would have gotten the joke but I automatically sent it to the first person with that letter in the name:o Bloody mortified!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Too fishy.

This. Also, a bit of swapping names and numbers in someone's address book can lead to hilarity.

Dustaz wrote: »
    Like this "serious" offence you mean?

Probably best to just hang him now to be safe.

You don't think sexting young girls is serious?

Granted it was accidental, but punishment is doled (mostly) out based on the act, not on the thought behind the act.

So yes, serious offence was serious.

From the article, he didn't withdraw the texts, he did it several times, without copping on.
    To do it several times means ignoring the messages coming in saying "the **** are you talking about"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Hooked

I was drunk one nite and sent a rather saucy message to the girlfriend (or so I thought). Turns out I sent it to over 100 people in my address book. I was so mortified that I changed my number and told everyone that my phone was stolen in the bar. It worked, I think! Got a few funny looks for weeks after. I always double check who I text now, and turn off the phone when I'm drunk!

Well played sir!

Pure genuis salvage of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Granted it was accidental, but punishment is doled (mostly) out based on the act, not on the thought behind the act.

From the article, he didn't withdraw the texts, he did it several times, without copping on.
    To do it several times means ignoring the messages coming in saying "the **** are you talking about"
    Where in the article does it say that he did it several times?

Who said he was ignoring messages asking what he was talking about?

And how exactly do you "withdraw" texts? Do you run round to everyone and delete them off of their phones?

He was not texting young girls, it was sent to them and others by mistake.

It's not a serious offence to send a text to the wrong person unless embarrassment and mortification is an offence.

Ignoring what messages coming in? The fact he repeated the texts shows he had no idea how to use the phone.

I'm sure we have all made errors with texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Children should not be allowed to have cell phones or email addresses.
    Parents should.

Then parents would have the responsibility of filtering the content their children can see. It would prevent a whole slew of problems; and all it would take is parents taking the time to parent.

Oh - but it's hard? And little Sally can't possibly live without a cell phone, voice/text/data plan, and 24/7 internet connectivity.

In this situation - the parents would have intercepted the message, the children would have been unhurt by learning that 24 year olds have sex, and the guy who made an honest mistake wouldn't have committed a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

UCDVet wrote: »
    Children should not be allowed to have cell phones or email addresses.
    Parents should.

Then parents would have the responsibility of filtering the content their children can see. It would prevent a whole slew of problems; and all it would take is parents taking the time to parent.

Oh - but it's hard? And little Sally can't possibly live without a cell phone, voice/text/data plan, and 24/7 internet connectivity.

In this situation - the parents would have intercepted the message, the children would have been unhurt by learning that 24 year olds have sex, and the guy who made an honest mistake wouldn't have committed a crime.

ahh here, Kids need to stay connected. Turn on, tune in, drop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

anhedonia wrote: »
    ahh here, Kids need to stay connected. Turn on, tune in, drop out.

I'm not saying kids shouldn't be.
    I'm saying parents should regulate who is able to contact their kids and what content they're allowed to see.

If you wouldn't let a strange 24 year old man hang out with your 13 year-old daughter unsupervised; why would you allow that same 24 year-old man direct access to her, 24/7?

• Advertisement
Advertisement