Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Check who you're texting

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Depends who you slip it into.

noobs never learn...

the onl digits you give a bitch is 68 +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Where in the article does it say that he did it several times?

Who said he was ignoring messages asking what he was talking about?

And how exactly do you "withdraw" texts? Do you run round to everyone and delete them off of their phones?

There is a line that specifically states he sent several messages, one after the other....

The ignoring messages part was not stated, but frankly, unless you're a hermit, that message went to several hundred people, none of whom sent a WTF message back? Doubt it.

Withdraw was the wrong word. Immediately send an apology to everyone, saying how sorry you are for the messages. Absent apology or attempted retraction, it just looks deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

He was not texting young girls, it was sent to them and others by mistake.

It's not a serious offence to send a text to the wrong person unless embarrassment and mortification is an offence.

Ignoring what messages coming in? The fact he repeated the texts shows he had no idea how to use the phone.

I'm sure we have all made errors with texts.

We all bear responsibilities for the things we use.

If i drive a car and crash it into someone, while having no idea how the gears or brakes work, does that clear me of responsibility? Nope.

Saying "i'd no idea what i was doing" is a poor defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Zab wrote: »
    18 months? How the **** did he get 18 months for this?

He didn't serve any time.
    The judge, sitting with Mr Justice Coulson and Mrs Justice Thirlwall, added that the sentence, which he also reduced to nine months, would be suspended ‘given the unusual circumstances’ and freed Evans.

Last paragraph, ya musta got bored before the end :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

He didn't serve any time.

Last paragraph, ya musta got bored before the end :p

No, I read the whole thing. He was given 18 months in a court, which is ridiculous. The appeals court didn't even exonerate him, merely dropped it to 9 and suspended the sentence. I'll say it again, How the **** did he get 18 months for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I was texting a friend a really horrible joke one day, like seriously messed up. Anyway, I sent it to my mother by mistake.
    I instantly realised what I had done, and as I watched the "sending" progress bar I panicked and lobbed the phone across the room at the wall.
    The thing bust into several pieces and the battery came flying out.

Crisis averted :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CruelCoin wrote: »
    If i drive a car and crash it into someone, while having no idea how the gears or brakes work, does that clear me of responsibility? Nope.

Saying "i'd no idea what i was doing" is a poor defence.
    You need a license to drive a car.

If you're driving it unsupervised / unaccompanied in this country without knowing how the gears or the brakes work, you're already breaking several laws. You don't have to crash into someone to break the law.

To the best of my knowledge you don't need a license to use a phone. There isn't a legally mandated age limit on using one either, nor are you required to be sober to use one, nor subject to breathalyser tests (perhaps unfortunately).

You aren't required to undertake a number of mandatory hours training in using a phone, nor subject to a state-mandated test before you can use one unsupervised.

It's really not a very good comparison.

Many people, even young, tech-savvy people, struggle with a new phone these days. Those less tech-savvy often struggle with them for a long time in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Remember the old semens C35 just one press of "C" and an entire message would be completely deleted.

Its probably bad functionallity maybe he could blaim RIM for their phone design...

I see what you did there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

There is a line that specifically states he sent several messages, one after the other....
    Please show me this line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Pretty much a miscarriage of justice if you ask me. Charges dropped but the sentence only "suspended"? :confused: Surely he should have been cleared of any wrong-doing and given an official apology. It's clear that the message was sent in error, and that he wasnt targeting juveniles.

Things like this madden me, it's actually a disgrace that he even went to prison, never the fact that he's still regarded as a "criminal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Whatever happened to mens rea? Seriously, it's stupid to prosecute for what was clearly a mistake of something so minor that will have major consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You don't think sexting young girls is serious?

Granted it was accidental, but punishment is doled (mostly) out based on the act, not on the thought behind the act.

So yes, serious offence was serious.

From the article, he didn't withdraw the texts, he did it several times, without copping on.
    To do it several times means ignoring the messages coming in saying "the **** are you talking about"

You simply don't understand the legal system of the western world that requires a guilty mind (mens rea) if you don't think you're doing anything wrong and don't know you are committing a crime, then you aren't.

Advertisement