Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cully & Sully

Options
  • 28-09-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Irish Times business section: Cully & Sully soups to be made in the UK. Obviously cheaper. What do y'all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tell us what you think & then we might join in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Irish Times business section: Cully & Sully soups to be made in the UK. Obviously cheaper. What do y'all think?

Obviously cheaper? Why is it obviously cheaper? It could be something else. If it is cheaper, well thats hardly news is it? We know Ireland is expensive to do business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Didn't they sell to an American group for around €15m?

Food is no better or worse than any other pre-made soups etc.

Nepotism and influence from Auntie Darina had a lot to do with their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Didn't they sell to an American group for around €15m?

Food is no better or worse than any other pre-made soups etc.

Nepotism and influence from Auntie Darina had a lot to do with their success.

Indeed, given the family background etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I never liked their soups anyway ... they had an odd texture, and didn't even taste that good either. To top it all, they're packaged in PP (type 5) containers which can't be recycled in my recycling bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Irish company that were making their soups now make Tesco own brand to the exact same recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The Irish company that were making their soups now make Tesco own brand to the exact same recipes.

thanks for this information, i was buying their soups, with the understanding that they were made in ireland, now i will be buying the tesco instead, tell me where in the country tesco brand are made,
    i usually make my own soups, i even bought the sully+cully today, but i am into buying irish, in support of our own workers, so sully+cully will be off my grocery list if this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

I liked the CULLY AND SULLY soups, especially the chicken & vegetable one - yum yum. Couldn't make it that nice myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

goat2 wrote: »
    thanks for this information, i was buying their soups, with the understanding that they were made in ireland, now i will be buying the tesco instead, tell me where in the country tesco brand are made,

Down in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The company that bought them already have a plant in the UK and are moving
    production there. Sounds like a cost cutting exercise, that the volume is small enough that they can make them cheaper in the larger plant they have.
    Also, they bought cully and sully to expand their range in UK/USA so they are probably planning to increase production.

It was inevitable once they were bought out, that decisions like this would be made.

Personally, i find their stuff nice, but expensive. its not that much nicer than better value bought soups and I know I can make it better myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The plant in galway that used to make them also make Tesco, Avenmore and a few other bigish brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Seaneh wrote: »
    The plant in galway that used to make them also make Tesco, Avenmore and a few other bigish brands.

According to the Irish Times article they are currently made by Glanbia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I really liked their soups and was happy to buy them knowing they were an Irish brand. Won't be buying them any more. Nothing against the guys themselves but I try to buy Irish if and when possible.

Like someone said above this was inevitable once they sold the company. Shame.

Edit: Just reading the article there (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0928/1224324532328.html) and it says they're still going to be using Irish ingredients but that seems a bit ridiculous. Why move your manufacturing base and then increase costs by shipping over your ingredients?

Advertisement