Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lag issue

Options
  • 28-09-2012 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place to put this. About a week ago I moved from Vodafone broadband to UPC. I was getting 7Mb, now I'm getting 50Mb. When I was with Vodafone, my internet on the computer was slow, especially when it came to downloading and watching videos, and on the Xbox, for the most part it was fine, with a few lag issues every so often (but nothing that disrupted my gaming experience). Now with the 50Mbs, my internet connection is brilliant, I suffer no issues on my computer, but I played Call of Duty yesterday and today, and the connection is brutal. I'm lagging all over the shop. One minute I'm running through a door, the next minute I'm being teleported 50 metres from it. It's extremely frustrating because logic would suggest that 50Mbs would provide a better gaming experience than 7Mbs, not a worse one. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Hagz wrote: »
    I hope this is the right place to put this. About a week ago I moved from Vodafone broadband to UPC. I was getting 7Mb, now I'm getting 50Mb. When I was with Vodafone, my internet on the computer was slow, especially when it came to downloading and watching videos, and on the Xbox, for the most part it was fine, with a few lag issues every so often (but nothing that disrupted my gaming experience). Now with the 50Mbs, my internet connection is brilliant, I suffer no issues on my computer, but I played Call of Duty yesterday and today, and the connection is brutal. I'm lagging all over the shop. One minute I'm running through a door, the next minute I'm being teleported 50 metres from it. It's extremely frustrating because logic would suggest that 50Mbs would provide a better gaming experience than 7Mbs, not a worse one. Can anyone shed any light on this?

The person hosting the game could have a bad connection causing you and others to lag out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The person hosting the game could have a bad connection causing you and others to lag out.

Unfortunately this can't be the case. I've left numerous lobbies to see if this is the problem, the problem is certainly on my end, as even my friends say that my microphone/voice is lagging pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Unfortunately this can't be the case. I've left numerous lobbies to see if this is the problem, the problem is certainly on my end, as even my friends say that my microphone/voice is lagging pretty bad.

What does your NAT type look like? It needs to be open. A moderate NAT type would make your connection to hosted games and party chat laggy and distorted. You should be able to check this on COD. Pretty sure they show your NAT type on the menu screen. BTW, give up COD. BF3 is way better.:p

Moderate or strict NAT.
    You need to setup a DMZ host for your xbox.

If moderate/strict NAT was an issue, then wouldn't I receive the warning message when I test connection? A yellow dot is supposed to appear to let me know that my NAT is moderate/strict, but when I tested it just there, I get no warning message, which is supposed to be a good thing. I tried to play again there, and it's still happening. The 4 green bars that appear beside my gamer tag will remain there for about 30 seconds (andy in that time there is no lag) and then I will suddenly have 1 red bar for about 5-10 seconds, at which point I'll start jerking around.

• Advertisement

There may be ports being blocked.
    DMZ host should be setup before you try to diagnose the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If moderate/strict NAT was an issue, then wouldn't I receive the warning message when I test connection? A yellow dot is supposed to appear to let me know that my NAT is moderate/strict, but when I tested it just there, I get no warning message, which is supposed to be a good thing. I tried to play again there, and it's still happening. The 4 green bars that appear beside my gamer tag will remain there for about 30 seconds (andy in that time there is no lag) and then I will suddenly have 1 red bar for about 5-10 seconds, at which point I'll start jerking around.

It should give you a message but may not. I know that Black Ops will definitely tell you what you Nat Type is. Not sure about MW3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

MW3 dos tell you on the maim MP page wht your nat status is.

Your nats must be open to play MW3. My router randomly switched to a setting other than open and if I was lucky enough to connect it was torture playing.

Try lowering your security setting on your router settings if you have new one. Its the easiest way to solve most 360 problems.

Whats your ping? ping needs to be well below 100 to enjoy games. I only have a 2.5 connection speed but never experience any slow down. Games use vitually no bandwidth so speed is almost never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

I remember being told to turn Firewall to low and turn off IP Flood protection in my Modem settings. Doing that and putting my Xbox into DMZ seemed to solve my problems.

Just out of curiosity, How do you connect the 360 to the internet/Modem? Wired or wireless?

Forgot about this thread. Anyway, it sorted itself out in the end. My NAT is now open. Didn't do anything, it just happened a couple of days after I asked the question. Thanks for the advice though:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement