Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground electrical cables

Options
  • 28-09-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi folks. Last summer I found a pipe containing electrical cable approx 6 inches below the surface in our front garden. Then today on the amenity area in the estate (a small, unfinished estate of 7 houses in Wexford) my four year old fell down a two foot hole concealed by grass. The fall could easily have resulted in a broken leg, but on inspection I also saw a horizontal red pipe protruding from the side of the hole with a cable sticking out. I phoned the ESB but am curious in the meantime as to what that cable might be.

Plus shouldnt electrical cables be down further than 6 inches?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

6" is way off
    do you know what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The esb ducts are meant to be down 600mm. The builder is meant to install them to that depth, with marking tape or boards 300mm from the ground.

The 2 foot hole you mention might have been for a mini pillar for future developed maybe if more houses went in. Depends what size of duct and cable it is

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Just had someone have a look at it. The cable isnt live so that much is okay. Regarding the other issue, the guy said that there should be a depth of one foot, then a warning tape, another half a foot and then the electrical cable (in a tube). He was shocked to see the cable just 6 inches beneath the surface and said by the size of the tube it seemed like it was the one bringing electricity to the house. So until they have a look no digging up the front lawn!

Of course the builders are still demanding full management fees for an unfinished estate, with two foot holes in the play area and electrical cables just under the surface. Wish I could say I was shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

DrWu wrote: »
    Just had someone have a look at it. The cable isnt live so that much is okay. Regarding the other issue, the guy said that there should be a depth of one foot, then a warning tape, another half a foot and then the electrical cable (in a tube). He was shocked to see the cable just 6 inches beneath the surface and said by the size of the tube it seemed like it was the one bringing electricity to the house. So until they have a look no digging up the front lawn!

Of course the builders are still demanding full management fees for an unfinished estate, with two foot holes in the play area and electrical cables just under the surface. Wish I could say I was shocked.

who looked at it????
    was it the esb that confirmed this cable was not live????
    perhaps it is for a house that is not connected yet(it will be live someday)
    either way 6inches is not deep enough
    the one in your garden is most likely for you house(as you said)
    any chance of a few pics
    esb networks are not responsible for the ducting to the houses(its the builders) so be very careful around these red pipes
    i would put my concerns in writing to the management company asap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

600mm deep in the garden,with a sand/grit layer on them too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement