Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop RAM Upgrade

Options
  • 28-09-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I have a Pavillion DV7 laptop and am looking to upgrade the memory from 4 to 8GB. I've looked up the current RAM installed and it's this: PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 204pin SDRAM SODIMM

Does that mean I have to get this exact specification or can I get 1600 Mhz RAM? Is there any benefit to doing this, should it match the 4GB that's already installed?

Also is there any way to tell whether it's currently installed as 1 x 4GB or 2 x 2 GB? Just open it up and look? If it's 1x4GB can I just slot the extra 4GB in and it will work fine?

Sorry about all the questions, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

There's no point in putting in more than 4GB if it's a 32bit OS. You have to have a 64bit OS to make use of more than 4GB.
    If that is the case then go to crucial.com and that site will tell you want you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    There's no point in putting in more than 4GB if it's a 32bit OS. You have to have a 64bit OS to make use of more than 4GB.
    If that is the case then go to crucial.com and that site will tell you want you need.

It's a 64 bit OS.

I've already checked exactly what memory is currently installed from the HP website (mentioned in my post).

Anyone have any answers to any of my questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could probably get 1600MHz RAM but depending on your motherboard, it might make no difference at all and just run at 1333MHz.

If you download CPU-Z from CPUID.com, you should be able to see what's in each memory slot.

memoryc.com's a good place to get memory, if you want a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

That's where I'd planned to get it, I've bought from there before and found them good.

I'll stick to what's in it already so, thanks for the response.

Advertisement