Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would like to set up an amateur drama group? (no exp required)

Options
  • 28-09-2012 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am currently repatriating myself from Dublin to Cork and I was looking for a amateur drama group to suit my needs but haven't had much luck. I was part of an amateur drama group in Dublin for four years and they had a model that was successful in Dublin and I think it would work here also.

There will be a weekly workshop over two terms, city centre based, where there is no yearly fee, simply one payment to cover the session, so people can come and go as they please. Also the first session is free.

The key is that no experience is necessary. If you are willing and enthusiastic, you are able. Many people in the drama group who just joined the group often got the lead role in a play. Simply being around the longest guarantees you nothing.

So, I am putting out the feelers. I would like to establish a committee of 6-8 people to found it and run it initially. As it evolves, new members may become committee members.

I have some of the knowledge to get this up and running. Who is interested? If so, we will arrange a meet up in the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Would ye stage productions as well as the workshops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Kazbah wrote: »
    Would ye stage productions as well as the workshops?

Yes, one per term. Budget would dictate how elaborate the show could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrSpike2012

Sounds like fun. Just a pity many drama groups are sooooo expensive.

Sounds like fun. Just a pity many drama groups are sooooo expensive.

This would cost around €5 per workshop.

Why not just set up a casual group dont see why there needs to be a charge.... But best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Why not just set up a casual group dont see why there needs to be a charge.... But best of luck with it.

Because renting rooms, drama facilitators and putting on productions costs money. 5e isn't a lot of money, to be fair. I do see your point though, but I would like to put on productions, just my preference.

A drama group DOESNT need to be sooooo o.t.t and intense. Why try and create what is already out there..... pity :p

A drama group DOESNT need to be sooooo o.t.t and intense. Why try and create what is already out there..... pity :p

This isn't out there. I tried to find a drama group with weekly workshops and found none. Feel free to show me one, it might save me some trouble. That's why I'm doing this. If I had found such a group I would have simply joined them by now.

Well i have seen MANY of the same concepts around. Maybe you should join one of them instead of trying to recreate whats already out there?

Well i have seen MANY of the same concepts around. Maybe you should join one of them instead of trying to recreate whats already out there?

Yeah, I asked if you could name one in Cork City for me? I contacted the Drama League of Ireland who provided a list and I found none that provided weekly workshops with no yearly membership. So maybe you have another list.

I know there isn't one, so I am going to stop responding to you because this is getting creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I think a lot of these groups are a bit low tech. I have a friend from school that's involved in amateur drama in Cork, but we don't meet often and I don't have his number. He's not into technology and doesn't have a facebook account - it's like he doesn't exist. :)

Anyway, if it was me I'd be looking for notice boards or dead tree format newsletters in UCC, CIT, the School of Music and Cork Arts Theatre. I'm certain there are groups out there - I just have no idea when or where.

[off topic]While in Dublin were you part of the Boards theatre group? Went to see their producion of Wyrd Sisters - some laugh. :) [/off topic]

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I think a lot of these groups are a bit low tech. I have a friend from school that's involved in amateur drama in Cork, but we don't meet often and I don't have his number. He's not into technology and doesn't have a facebook account - it's like he doesn't exist. :)

Anyway, if it was me I'd be looking for notice boards or dead tree format newsletters in UCC, CIT, the School of Music and Cork Arts Theatre. I'm certain there are groups out there - I just have no idea when or where.

[off topic]While in Dublin were you part of the Boards theatre group? Went to see their producion of Wyrd Sisters - some laugh. :) [/off topic]

Hi Blitzkrieger, yes I was part of No Drama, I played Duke Leonal Felmet in Wyrd Sisters, it was a laugh for me also!

I would very much like to make use of all social media and technology, anything to spread the word. You are based in Dublin, I presume?

Tomorrow night (Thurs) is the final meetup before workshops start next week. If anyone is interested in playing a part in running this theatre group, or simply would like to attend the workshops, or simply fancies meeting new people (which is the whole point of this, isn't it?), feel free to come along to the Woodford at 8.30pm tomorrow.

PM me for details on how to find us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 niallofcork

Yay!

Tomorrow night (Thurs) is the final meetup before workshops start next week. If anyone is interested in playing a part in running this theatre group, or simply would like to attend the workshops, or simply fancies meeting new people (which is the whole point of this, isn't it?), feel free to come along to the Woodford at 8.30pm tomorrow.

PM me for details on how to find us.

Anyone who lands on this thread from a Google search, may find us here:

https://www.facebook.com/RebelutionTheatre

• Registered Users Posts: 1 This guy!!!

hey there..... just wondering if the drama group is still up and running?? used to be part of a few groups in galway and mayo so would like to get back into it. weekly pay as you go workshops is what im after....

We are indeed. Next workshop is Wed at 7pm in Camden Palace.

http://rebelutiontheatre.com/

or

https://www.facebook.com/RebelutionTheatre

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coffees for closers only

Hi there,

anyone know if any amateur drama/acting groups still exist in cork? I haven't seen any updates since March!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alaynemai

Hi there!

I was wondering if the drama group was still working.... I'm from Canary Islands and I'm very interested in find a drama group (I'm totally amateur).

Long gone. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 niallofcork

Howdy all. Looking at getting this group up and running again for the winter. Having a meeting in the Oval at 8pm (the 21st) to see if anybody is interested / hear people's ideas. All welcome.

Advertisement