Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 jobs to go at Kel Tech

Options
  • 28-09-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

terrible news again.

have we all been onto our TDs and ministers????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To do what? "save" a private company?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

But create the conditions that help private industry and jobs...not tax and regulate them into oblivion.
    I see FG Wilson in N Ireland were customeras of theirs so I would imagine that had big effect on their business. Are they closing or sclaing back, hopefully the later?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

mfitzy wrote: »
    But create the conditions that help private industry and jobs...not tax and regulate them into oblivion.
    I see FG Wilson in N Ireland were customeras of theirs so I would imagine that had big effect on their business. Are they closing or sclaing back, hopefully the later?

Scaling back. sisters husband works out there and his job is grand so I presume its scaling back anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does anyone know why they've gone to the wall? scaling back? A big contract lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

mike65 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why they've gone to the wall? scaling back? A big contract lost?

According to RTE their biggest customer is scaling back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

sad to hear of another hit to jobs in our city :(

We have so many empty buildings that were once thriving businesses... hopefully something can be done about unemployment in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

mike65 wrote: »

Mfitzy's post#3 - FG Wilson (generator maker) scaling back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Heathen wrote: »
    sad to hear of another hit to jobs in our city :(

We have so many empty buildings that were once thriving businesses... hopefully something can be done about unemployment in Waterford

Plenty can be done alright. The question is will they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Didn't 30 jobs only go there about a month ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 afee_wils2012

waterfordcocoady;80999014]Didn't 30 jobs only go there about a month ago?[/Quote]
    There are 85 jobs gone in total. 30 contract staff and 55 permanent staff. They lost contract with FG Wilson. My husband was one of the unlucky ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The problem with empty units appears to be a local council issue, not a national issue. The council do not appear to be doing very much to attract businesses here and rates are very high which would not encourage a business to setup shop and give it a go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    The problem with empty units appears to be a local council issue, not a national issue. The council do not appear to be doing very much to attract businesses here and rates are very high which would not encourage a business to setup shop and give it a go.

I don't think its as simple as that, there are other factors also...

Look at say Kilkenny City, compared to Waterford it has better faster/better access to the motorway then Waterford (without need for toll or going through a city), its closer to Dublin, it potentially has better workforce availability as its more central

Sure Waterford has motorway access but its through the city or over a toll bridge from the estates, its further away from Dublin so thats not a plus....it has a airport but even when TalkTalk was in Waterford the heads often use to just fly into Dublin and travel down instead of relying on Waterford airport

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Cabaal wrote: »
    I don't think its as simple as that, there are other factors also...

Look at say Kilkenny City, compared to Waterford it has better faster/better access to the motorway then Waterford (without need for toll or going through a city), its closer to Dublin, it potentially has better workforce availability as its more central

Sure Waterford has motorway access but its through the city or over a toll bridge from the estates, its further away from Dublin so thats not a plus....it has a airport but even when TalkTalk was in Waterford the heads often use to just fly into Dublin and travel down instead of relying on Waterford airport[/

and you dare call me a troll lol

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Was in that place, got offered a job there last year but turned it down in the end... hate to see any place like that going downhill, they were trying to expand all the time too, must be a shock.

Advertisement