Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another UPC thread filled with questions

• 28-09-2012 5:58pm

At the moment I get phone and broadband from Eircom for about €50 a month and I get Analogue TV from UPC for €27 per month. I want to get UPC 50mb broadband definitely. I was reading here that if I get the broadband I can still get the analogue channels from the box they install by means of a splitter? Currently I have two tellys getting the analogue. So I'm hoping I can cancel the phone and broadband with Eircom and cancel the analogue with UPC. Then I'll sign up for the UPC broadband and phone for €44 per month and still get the analogue through the existing cables?

It would be awesome to cut my bill from €77 to €44 and get a vastly superior service. Any feedback would be most appreciated my friends! Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Absolutely! You can do that no problem. The signal will come through the cable as normal regardless and since you'll be using their broadband service, they'll have no reason to cut the signal off. All you'd need is a splitter, as you said. €27 for the analog service in this day and age is a disgrace anyways.

If you ever wanted to go to digital then you could get 50Mb broadband and the middle TV pack for €69 a month (you'll also get their phone service in that bundle, which you can use or not use, it's up to you!). Add another room to the digital TV service for an extra €5 per month. It's close to what you're paying now and the TV service alongside the broadband will be far superior to the analog TV and ADSL broadband services you're getting now for €3 less. But if you're not pushed about digital TV, your plan will work!

Here's a link to the package I mentioned:
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/tvbroadbandphone/fibrepoweressential/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

not in Cork though:)

• DECEiFER wrote: »
    Absolutely! You can do that no problem. The signal will come through the cable as normal regardless and since you'll be using their broadband service, they'll have no reason to cut the signal off. All you'd need is a splitter, as you said. €27 for the analog service in this day and age is a disgrace anyways.

If you ever wanted to go to digital then you could get 50Mb broadband and the middle TV pack for €69 a month (you'll also get their phone service in that bundle, which you can use or not use, it's up to you!). Add another room to the digital TV service for an extra €5 per month. It's close to what you're paying now and the TV service alongside the broadband will be far superior to the analog TV and ADSL broadband services you're getting now for €3 less. But if you're not pushed about digital TV, your plan will work!

Here's a link to the package I mentioned:
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/tvbroadbandphone/fibrepoweressential/

Thanks mate. I'd get the digital too only we'd need multiroom and the digital box is too big for the kitchen unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You know that if you get digital in the sitting room, you'd still get analog in the kitchen though?

• I was told that before Colm but I asked somebody working for UPC and they said otherwise so didn't chance it. Would be great if it worked but as long as there's a doubt I'd be afraid to go ahead and order it. Are you 100% sure mate? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will get around 12 - 18 analogue channels in the Kitchen ( inc BBC and RTE ) so you need no digital STB in there (either a Saorview one or a UPC one) for now.

I was told that before Colm but I asked somebody working for UPC and they said otherwise so didn't chance it. Would be great if it worked but as long as there's a doubt I'd be afraid to go ahead and order it. Are you 100% sure mate? :)
    The person working for UPC is misinformed. It would work, been there, done that! :)

• And I see you are in Limerick too! Brilliant!

And I see you are in Limerick too! Brilliant!
    Yup,

As Sponge Bob said, the only area without analog in the country is Cork. They haven't had it in years! Anywhere else and you'll get the basic channel-set you're already used to (some channels vary by region).

So if you were to get digital without multiroom, you'd pay the €69 for the whole package the wire going into your kitchen will still carry the analog signal. Just make sure (if you're getting it) that the UPC engineer doesn't fiddle around by disconnecting the cable to the kitchen (assuming there's an engineer call-out). It's your house so he's not entitled to go against your wishes. But once the kitchen cable remains hooked up to the UPC feed, you'd get all the analog channels that you're getting there now.

• And you're 100% sure about this? I have to keep asking (I know it's annoying) because if I order the €69 bundle, annoy the missus with the installation, cancel her analogue in the kitchen and if it doesn't work I'll be in the doghouse FOREVER! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He's right. Once they dont disconnect you outside on the street then you have the analogue signal. Even if the engineer cut the off shoot to the kitchen(which there's no reason he would), if you even get a call out, then all you'd have to do is get somebody handy with a wire strippers to re-connect it. There's no risk :)

Absolutely, what ED E said. Save the doghouse for the dog, you won't be needing it. :)

Just look over what channels they're offering to see if you'd like them and if you have a HDTV, you can spend an extra €5 a month on the HD pack for the living room. Their HD selection has gotten better in the last month or so.

HD channels:
    http://www.upc.ie/television/hd/ (click the "HD CHANNEL OVERVIEW" button and you'll see what you'd get under "Those using our Digital Select Extra service will enjoy watching")

On top of all that you'll get Digital+ so you can pause and rewind live TV and record your shows. You can record one channel at a time while watching another (I think with Sky it's two channels at a time while watching another, but I'm not 100% sure). Then there's on-demand TV, which in Limerick City is fully-available right now. All this is included in the price regardless of having the HD pack or not.

• Guys I think I've run into a small problem. I ordered the TV, Broadband and phone bundle. The problem is we had UPC when they were Chorus for years even then. The cable running from the connection box isn't coaxial.

Looks like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-RF-Coax-Digital-TV-Television-Aerial-Cable-Fly-Lead-Flylead-Gold-Extension-/280957149097?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item416a59dfa9#ht_519wt_1159

I think it's RF...anyway it doesn't connect to the splitter UPC sent me. Stuck at the first step unfortunately. The RF lead can be forced into the splitter but I doubt it would work, maybe I'm wrong, I can't check as I didn't have time this morning to connect any of the other stuff. Help!

Guys I think I've run into a small problem. I ordered the TV, Broadband and phone bundle. The problem is we had UPC when they were Chorus for years even then. The cable running from the connection box isn't coaxial.

Looks like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-RF-Coax-Digital-TV-Television-Aerial-Cable-Fly-Lead-Flylead-Gold-Extension-/280957149097?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item416a59dfa9#ht_519wt_1159

I think it's RF...anyway it doesn't connect to the splitter UPC sent me. Stuck at the first step unfortunately. The RF lead can be forced into the splitter but I doubt it would work, maybe I'm wrong, I can't check as I didn't have time this morning to connect any of the other stuff. Help!
    Ah yeah, that's where they are supposed to come in and cut the end off and attach an F Plug/Connector to the end instead. You could do it yourself if you got hold of one and whatnot, but if you didn't do it 100% correctly, it could have a small to large detrimental effect on the quality of the signal. I recommend you call them up and I presume you paid the €90 installation fee? If so, get you money's worth. You didn't pay €90 for postage and packaging of the equipment and for them to sit on their asses. :)

The only problem is, they normally make you wait a few days for the installation engineers to come out and they often can be early or late (by a day, even); I've rarely encountered an instance when they call when expected but it does happen.

EDIT: When this gets done, you could ask them to make sure that your feed to the kitchen is not left out of the loop. Since the F Connector splitters won't take your RF connections, this might be a problem for your existing cabling. The RF end in the kitchen should be left alone but it's the other end coming from the main feed that needs to be switched to an F Connector. You'll also need to make sure the splitter is three-way or that you have two two-way splitters (and enough cables) to ensure nothing gets left out (main TV's cable box, cable modem, kitchen TV).

• Instead of calling would something like this work please? Thanks for the quick reply mate.

No, I'm afraid not. You're close though! You'll need the male F Connector, but the female RF is perfect. You'll probably need more than one since you have to hook up all your stuff and one for the main RF feed.

EDIT:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/05318-2x-F-type-Male-Plug-to-Coax-RF-Aerial-Socket-Female-Adapter-Connectors-/280981122652?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item416bc7ae5c&_uhb=1#ht_2220wt_1397

Sorry I didn't consider this solution. Good thing you did!

• Are you sure? Won't I only need one? The RF -> F Connector -> splitter and from there on it's a normal install?

You'll need two at least. You'll probably have the FM/Cable splitter sent by UPC. You'll use one to get your main RF feed in and then you'll use one of the cables they sent you to connect it to your old splitter, I'm guessing. To do that you'll need a second (put the top input of the RF splitter into the Cable output from the Cable/FM splitter - the adapter will make the connection possible). Or maybe I'm missing something?

Just to note. The UPC TV cable box takes an RF but the modem won't, it needs to have a male F Connector cable. This is where things might get confusing. You won't be using the FM output of the splitter. I really can't go into any more detail until I know what UPC has sent you. If you could take a photo, that'd be much handier. Please don't order anything from eBay until we solve this little conundrum. :)

• ****! I have a headache now! I'll just have to wait till tonight to see exactly. B&Q are open till eight so I'll buy a load of them just in case.

Okay, but you might also need one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Type-Plug-Female-Screw-Connector-Socket-to-RF-Coax-Aerial-Male-Adapter-Coupler-/230850929151?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35bfc9a1ff&_uhb=1#ht_2452wt_1163

That's a F Connector female to RF male (the two opposites of the other adapter). I'm only guessing as I don't know exactly how you have things rigged up or what UPC has sent you.

You'll most likely only need the RF female to F Connector male (get at least three instead of two to be safe) but they're all cheap so it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Sorry I can't be more specific right now.

• Advertisement

• That's no problem mate...I thank you for your help so far. Very good of you! :)

• In the box that UPC sent me there's a coax to RF lead. I was going to put our old RF splitter into the RF in socket of the digital box. The coax to RF lead that UPC sent me will connect the UPC f splitter to one input of the old RF splitter in the digital box. The other input of the old RF splitter will be taken by the RF lead running to the second TV in the kitchen. Sorted? Please please come back with good news Deceifer! :D

Oh they sent you a F Connector to RF lead, excellent!

Doesn't your RF splitter have one input and two-three outputs? So you're using the lead to connect UPC's F splitter to the RF splitter. That should work. Can you tell me what type of RF input AND outputs are on your splitter (male or female)? I need to know before I can advise you further.

• the outputs on the old RF splitter you mean? I can't remember whether they're male or female mate. Sorry! I realise you're trying to help and it's in my own interest to answer but I won't know until later tonight when I look. Gonna be a long night! Thanks again for all your help.

It's just that I've seen different types in the course of rigging up my parents' house as a teenager, back when Chorus was born from Irish Multichannel. I can possibly assume that the input is a female because that lead UPC sent you will have a RF male end for sure. If not, then your plan will need to be tweaked a bit. If the input is male, then that adapter I first linked you to (RF female to F Connector male) will be adequate to link the F splitter to the RF splitter. From there it depends on what the RF splitter's outputs are (male or female).

If the outputs are female, you can use the F Connector and RF lead they sent to hook the modem up (the RF end should go into the splitter's output and then the F Connector end will go into into the modem) and then you're sorted as your existing RF leads can go to the TV cable box and the kitchen TV as before. So it all depends on that RF splitter. Also, the splitter will need three outputs or else you'll need another splitter to add capacity for three devices. Do you know if the splitter has two or three outputs off-hand?

• the old rf splitter only has two.

Okay then you may be short one device in your link. It really depends on what type of splitter(s) UPC sent you. I can only imagine that they sent a Cable/FM splitter to take the main feed (which you will only use the Cable output and not the FM one) and possibly one other F splitter to actually split the signal to two devices (since you're paying them for TV and Broadband, that's all they're going to be concerned with).

Check this image out:
    cableconnections.jpg

The splitter to the right (it's actually called a filter and not a splitter - just for future reference - think of it like your Eircom ADSL microfilters to isolate the DSL signal to prevent your phones and ADSL modem from getting interference from the different frequencies), notice only one output is being used. The other is FM and you don't need that at all. You'll probably have received a filter just like that.

The splitter to the left is a regular three-way F splitter. You may have received a three-way or two-way one. I hope they sent you both because if they did it, you can ignore most of my previous post.

In the mean time, load up on adapters if you're really hoping to get this all up-and-running tonight. You might even benefit from getting a couple of RF male to RF female adapters (again, just to be safe) on top of two-three RF female to F Connector male and F Connector female to RF male. You will most likely be putting some of those into a drawer but as a precaution to get it done tonight, I'd risk the purchase since they're piss-cheap.

One last thing. If UPC didn't send you a regular F splitter (left splitter in the image), perhaps pick one up or alternatively another RF splitter. You can always risk not buying another splitter for now if you're not planning on using, say, the kitchen TV anymore tonight - there's always tomorrow!

• I got a two way one of the one on the left but didn't get the one on the right.

Really? That's strange but not unheard of...

If you're absolutely sure that you didn't get the filter but what you got was a splitter, then here's the provisional plan:

Use one of the adapters to link the RF splitter to one of the F splitter's outputs. Assuming UPC also sent you a F Connector male to F Connector male lead also, use that lead with other output on the F splitter to connect the modem. Once the RF splitter and the modem are hooked up to the F splitter, you should be all set as your RF splitter can handle both the TVs like before (remember the TV cable box takes RF).

Not to confuse you, but if the RF splitter's input is female, then you'd be able to use the RF male and F Connector male lead UPC sent to connect the F splitter to the RF splitter, like you originally suggested. If the input is male, the adapter will need to be used.

So all in all, you might just need one or none of those adapters (depending on the RF splitter's input). But if you're going to need one at all, it'll be the RF female to F Connector male adapter that I first linked you to.

EDIT: After some consideration, I now remember that my folks until recently didn't have a filter either (UPC had to come out to fix some wiring recently and put one in) but I remember my install in January this year and I always had one. So, I don't know what the story is with UPC doling the filters out (maybe it's more common not to get one unless an engineer comes out to do the install for you, which was absolutely necessary in my case). But it seems to me that they'd be pretty sloppy not to send you an actual F splitter at least, so that's good news for you.

• Advertisement

• Got it all set up but the picture quality of the analogue in the kitchen was poor. It wasn't awful but it was a bit snowy. The missus wasn't impressed. Any ideas anybody?

Advertisement