Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another UPC thread filled with questions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Ah balls. Right, the reason for that is likely because the signal is being split one more time compared to before when you just had to worry about two TVs. That doesn't mean that it can't possibly get any better. What I did was I gave the strongest signal path to the modem in my "provisional" plan because I figured the broadband could use it. This is because the modem is only got one split, whereas the TVs have two splits (the F splitter and then the RF splitter). You can change that if you like by giving the kitchen the strongest feed, but before you do (and I'll do my best to explain how), let's take a look at a couple of things.

First of all, let's check some signal levels out. Your TV box can show you signal levels. Go into the Menu on your remote. Then hit up Settings > Network Settings > Punch in 0000 for the pin (unless you changed it!) > Automatic Search. Then you'll see two bars, one for signal strength and one for signal quality, and both are represented as a percentage (but you'll have to guesstimate from each of the bars' positions as it won't show you an exact number). When you're done, back out of the menu completely using the remote's back button (expressed as a reverse arrow). If you could post the info here and also take note of whether the bars are stationary or if they fluctuate (and by roughly how much) that would be good to know, also.

The next thing to do is to check the cable modem's DOCSIS channel signal and power levels. Do this by logging into the modem (go to http://192.168.1.1 from within your LAN). There's no need to login, but you can do as by default there's no username or password (leave both fields blank). The information you need is right on the main login screen. I need to see the Downstream Channels' and Upstream Channels' stats, like this:
    Downstream Channels	 
     	Power Level:	Signal to Noise Ratio:
    Channel 1:	 -5.3 dBmV	39.5 dB
    Channel 2:	 -5.2 dBmV	39.6 dB
    Channel 3:	 -5.7 dBmV	39.2 dB
    Channel 4:	 -6.7 dBmV	38.6 dB
    Channel 5:	 -7.0 dBmV	38.9 dB
    Channel 6:	 -6.4 dBmV	39.3 dB
    Channel 7:	 -6.8 dBmV	39.0 dB
    Channel 8:	 -7.4 dBmV	38.2 dB

Upstream Channels	 
     	Power Level:
    Channel 1:	47.9 dBmV
    Channel 2:	 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 3:	 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 4:	 0.0 dBmV

If these stats are good (I'll let you know if they are), then you can proceed to putting the modem on the RF splitter in place of the kitchen TV and stick the kitchen TV on the F splitter, which should then bring it back to where it was before your upgrade. Use the adapters as necessary and if that RF and F Connector lead is still unused, you may be able to use that with the modem from the RF splitter.

What I could also advise is to get UPC to call out and rig everything up for you. My folks had analog back in the day and upgraded in 2009. They also have a kitchen TV that's still taking in an analog signal and digital multiroom. The UPC guy isn't going to rat you out and say no, he'll probably fix up your cables with new ends that are as secure as fu*k and give you a F splitter to replace the RF one (who knows, a new splitter could mean better quality!). I recommend you call them and have them come out at the very least if there are still any issues with your signals after you've given the potential solutions above a go.

Hope this helps and that the missus will let you out of the dog house. :)

• I disconnected the digital box and the kitchen tv was grand. I think I messed up the modem. I waited the thirty minutes and the four lights were solid. But they disappeared again and went solid again and this repeated constantly. I restarted the modem and now all there is is one light at the far light solid and the one next to it flashing. The other two are out! ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I think it's best at this point to call UPC. They should be able to sort it out for you there and then. Otherwise you're dragging your feet and it could all be for nothing.

I recommend you give them a call on 1908 (freephone), speak to their tech support, and say that fixing it is of the utmost urgency and ask for the soonest appointment possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Having looked at the 3 pages, Im still no closer to understanding all of this. Is there a simple explanation and can it be done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Simplest way would be to get UPC to install everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement