Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear god what fresh hell is this?

Options
  • 28-09-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Ok, the last time I upgraded my machine was in 2009 when I bought a GTS250 for the princely sum of €90, a nice price for a midrange card, even if it was a rebadged 8800.

Fast forward 3 years, and it appears that all hell has broken loose in the graphics market. Both AMD and Nvidia apparently think it's a swell idea to have 3 or 4 generations of cards on sale at the same time, and rebadging has reached the point where the naming codes make no sense at all anymore. Is a GTX650 better than a GTX560? Is a GTX470 better than a GTX 560? Is a GTX470 better than a GTX650? Why is there a GTX 560, 560Ti, and a 560Ti 448, and a 570?

Why is there such a cluster**** of "current gen" cards in the sub-€100 bracket which is going to be swallowed by integrated graphics anyway, and loads around €220, with sod all in the middle?

So, on an equivalent budget, what is my best option today for 1080p gaming?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not answering the rest on a Friday evening :), but for the main question your best bet in the €100 ish price range would probably be something like an AMD HD 6850 which can be picked up quite cheaply now, although they are starting to disappear from some retailers.

Haven't looked around too much but there is one here on scan.co.uk for €108.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-xfx-hd-6850-4000mhz-gddr5-gpu-775mhz-960-cores-eyefinity-hdmi-2x-mini-displayport-2x-dvi?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'd be as well off with a 7770. Apparently some drivers helped it overtake the 6850 a few months back. There is sod all in the middle, but the 7850 1GB is coming down in price slowly and nVidia are releasing a 650ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Monotype wrote: »
    You'd be as well off with a 7770. Apparently some drivers helped it overtake the 6850 a few months back. There is sod all in the middle, but the 7850 1GB is coming down in price slowly and nVidia are releasing a 650ti.

Just what I need. A 650ti to muddy the waters between the 650/660/560/ti business.

As for the mobile space .. jesus wept, I'm not looking forward to recommending a new laptop for the wife in a few months.

Advertisement