Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Router Problem

• 28-09-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

Have been searching for information on how to solve my router problems for the last week without resolve, now I'm posting here to hopefully bring in the experts. Muchos thanks to anyone who can help.

Basically, I cannot connect my laptop to my current wireless network.

It can connect fine to other wireless networks and also recognises the UPC network I want to connect to. When I enter the password it times out.

My friends laptops can connect without trouble.

Also when I plug in my Ethernet cable to the router I have the internet fine.

ipconfig info w/ ethernet cable in:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b8a1:b489:39c9:62f2%10
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Router: Cisco EPC3925

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

What operating system are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Vista.

Ok thought it might have been a security problem if you were using an older OS. Did you change any wifi settings on router ?

Nope haven't touched any wifi settings on it! Although a few years ago I did have to change some setting on a different router to get it connecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Login in to the modem using your Ethernet cable@ http://192.168.1.1 and change the wifi to just WAP, its possible that your laptop is just slightly out dated and cant connect to WAP2

• Advertisement

Ye try lowering the security settings like previous poster said and check for updates on laptop for OS and wifi card

Hi, the wireless settings were already set to WPA-Personal.

I just changed them there to WPA2-Personal and was able to connect to the wireless network for the first time. Hoorah!

However, although I am now connected to the router I still do not have internet access. :(

Any ideas why it is allowing me to connect to the router but the internet is not working?

My wireless drivers are up to date in case ye were wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tommyrot

I had UPC broadband installed yesterday and had the exact same problems as yourself connecting a Vista laptop over wi-fi. Changing the security made no difference.

I did the following to get it to work:
    1. Updated the driver for the laptop's wireless card.
    2. Used CCleaner to scan and fix the registry.
    3. Downloaded and installed the Winsock fix for Vista (the file I installed is MicrosoftFixit50357).
    4. Resetted the TCP/IP for Vista. Click on Start, type cmd into the search box to bring up the command prompt window, then type in the following: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    5. Restarted the laptop.

It's possible that I didn't need to do every step here, these were all individual fixes I found suggested on other sites, but it won't do you any harm to try them all anyway, or even just restart the laptop after each one to see if that fix works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

I've the same router and had same issue with a Vista machine, I could connect using both Windows 7 and Ubuntu systems with no problems.

I had to change the wireless security mode to WEP, only then could the Vista system connect. WEP isn't as secure as the other modes but was the only workaround I could find.

Try updating your wireless card's driver, especially if it's an Atheros chip. I've seen similar symptoms with Atheros cards on Vista with the 7.6 drivers - it gets an IP address from the router but just doesn't get access.

Also, early Vista revisions had trouble with WPA encryption so make sure you're on Service Pack 2.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've disabled all of the wireless security so now I'm running an unsecured network.

I can connect perfectly to my wireless connection now but I would ideally like to have some type of password security working on my network.

Any suggestions? My computer just doesn't seem to be able to connect while my router is running WPA or WPA-2, but I don't want neighbours stealing my internet either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Try WEP, not ideal but it's better than unsecured.

Feck it, may as well just take my chances...WEP just leads to the same problems as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wep is a joke(once one person is using the network a crack takes 10 mins at the longest).

Right now everything you send is completely open to everyone to read, anyone within receiving range of you can sniff your packets and see what you're receiving and more importantly, transmitting(your passwords for example).

Set up WPA2 then fix the machine, its worth the effort. Go get the latest driver MANUALLY(dont use some tool) and then uninstall the device, reboot, and install that driver. If you have a wifi manager tool, disable it and try and use the system interface instead.

If you connect and get no internet, post the response of ipconfig /all.

Thank you very much ED E, Enigma, Todd and tommy, everything's sorted now with WPA2 security too.

I had brought my laptop into a PC repair place a few days ago. He said specifically that he had updated the drivers for my laptop, yet it didn't solve my problems so I posted here.

A friend told me to update the drivers again last night when helping me to fix it, but I told him I had already forked out cash and that they had already updated them. Turns out they didn't do s**t to the drivers (which was in fact the only thing he said he had done). We updated the drivers and it was working fine straight away.

Gonna head back in and demand a refund. Once again thanks all for helping with my first world problems.

Advertisement