Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy drinks

• 28-09-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

working a lot of hours lately and find myself drinking a few cans a day..its probably a mental thing to fool me into thinking i will have more energy but is it as harmful as people say it is..???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Not long back I developed a pair of wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

ha ha i like..!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I hear its a Duchy Originals Organic energy drink from Waitrose or O'Cauder that's keeping Prince Philip going these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Probably. If you want to work long hours, I'd recommend drinking something that isn't so high in sugar and has a low amount of caffeine, like tea. Anything high in sugar may cause an insulin-induced crash after a short while. If you find yourself falling asleep, try to avoid eating big meals and instead snack lightly, preferably on fruit and nuts. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking water during the day.

*realises this is AH*

Snort amphetamines and stop being a pussy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Thread has been done before.

Waiting for the "I don't know how anyone survived in the olden days without energy drinks" response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

They'll just make you fat and rot your teeth. Get an espresso maker or maybe get into green tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't know how anyone survived in the olden days without energy drinks.

I remember when all this was just fields.

When I was your age I had to walk every where in my bare feet as I only had one pair of shoes and they were for wearing to Sunday mass only and I had to take them off as soon as I got home again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I drank an energy drink before . It hasnt got a patch on vodka and its more harmful to your body .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Those crafty Zionists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

they'll fck your teeth up no end. especially at that rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't know where you find the time in the day for this stuff you're into but I appreciate it for being something a little different.

Energy drinks aren't very good for you but they won't kill you either. I used to go through them doing long night shifts. You're way better off putting on the kettle and percolating yourself a decent coffee and then just keep a bottle of water handy. Eat like you normally would. It's easily done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Monster - They released a zero calorie energy drink. That's pretty damned impressive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

A lot of those energy drinks have been proven to be pure BS in what they contain to keep you "energised".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

How about just getting a solid 8 hours sleep every night , eat healthily and get excercise. It's so much better living with a clear head and energy to burn.

Those crafty Zionists.

True, the Devil is in the detail,

God knows what chemicals and GM products they are putting into these drinks to dumb down and poison he masses :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭N64

True, the Devil is in the detail,

God knows what chemicals and GM products they are putting into these drinks to dumb down and poison he masses :p

Don't know if trolling or serious :rolleyes:

N64 wrote: »
    Don't know if trolling or serious :rolleyes:

Yes I am serious, its bad enough having our drinking water poisoned with fluoride by successive governments without having to pay for toxic energy filled drinks from the supermarket shelves.

When we were going to school an apple or an orange was sufficient for our daily energy needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Yes I am serious, its bad enough having our drinking water poisoned with fluoride by successive governments without having to pay for toxic energy filled drinks from the supermarket shelves.

When we were going to school an apple or an orange was sufficient for our daily energy needs.

Don't drink the water and don't buy the energy drinks. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

It is a load of bolllocks, if you did not take it you would still perform well, it is just another vice for people to cling onto,

smoking, drinking, spliffing, dropping some pills, work or distressful situations are used as an excuses to par take,

look it straight in the face and deal with it, while it might not feel good, you will not rely on some form of substance to get through it,

slippery road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I know this is after hours but this issue is becoming more relevant.
    It's not advisable to drink them in excess. If you've ten mins to spare this video pretty much outlines what current research things of them.

Two points to note : Research is still in its infancy, but we do know the effects of caffeine and sugar.
    Regular consumption decreases the actual "attention boosting" "benefits" of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The local 'tec is near to Aldi & Lidl here in Enniscorthy & at lunchtime the amount of kids who head in to buy their 'lunch' which consists of energy drinks & chocolate is amazing.Saw 2 last week sharing 6 cans between them,that can't be good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Monster with jagermeister FTW.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You'll just develop dependency. Getting up in the mornings will feel like crawling out of a grave (more so than usual) and your body will get used to getting energy from nice easy sugars so you'll become a fat bastard whose energy levels are in a constant state of flux.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Probably. If you want to work long hours, I'd recommend drinking something that isn't so high in sugar and has a low amount of caffeine, like tea. Anything high in sugar may cause an insulin-induced crash after a short while. If you find yourself falling asleep, try to avoid eating big meals and instead snack lightly, preferably on fruit and nuts. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking water during the day.

*realises this is AH*

Snort amphetamines and stop being a pussy

Post of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't think they give you much energy at all. Actually, many years go on a self-imposed alcohol-free weekend, I got 2 cans of Red Bull in a pint glass, partly to have something to drink but also to make it look like I was drinking cider. There's nowt worse when you're trying to avoid alcohol and your friends say "Ah, I'll buy you a pint!".

Anyway, after 2 'pints' of Red Bull I just wanted to go asleep. I wasn't even tired at the start of the night. I don't believe the hype...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I drink coke but i can't touch red bull anymore. It just smells too sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I used to drink 4 cans of monster a day, damn that demon drink, so addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Can't stand that Monster crap, would drink RedBull a very odd time.

Love the cheap Mixxed Up shoite in Lidls though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

gymman39 wrote: »
    working a lot of hours lately and find myself drinking a few cans a day..its probably a mental thing to fool me into thinking i will have more energy but is it as harmful as people say it is..???

Thinly veiled i have a job thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This is a bit embarrasing but I drink 12 500ml bottles of Lucozade per week, have had an addiction to it for about 2 yrs now, all started when I got the taste for it again after a few yrs absence, it started as 1 a day then 2 a day and now its beyond control. My weight is high, my energy levels are all over the place, I can feel great for an hour followed by 3 hrs of mood swings and crashing lows, my skin is dull, I have trouble concentrating and Im quite miserable. I know its all connected to the sugar levels but I cant seem to stop myself..

What have I tried? Well, I did try to go cold turkey for a week or two but just when the cravings were dying away I had a hell of a day and jumped back on the bandwagon. Doesnt help that its so cheap to buy. SuperValu are selling 10 for just 5euro. Dont fall for it people, Im an example of that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Power thirst is my favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

High amounts of caffeine can increase anxiety if you suffer from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Its after giving me vertigo or something. I see young lads drinking this shít all day, they must be high as fcukin kites !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheFruitarian

Find your neutral space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

My parents grounded me and now I am incapable of conducting electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

You should use that excuse the next time the Misses catches you down the gay sauna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Scioch wrote: »
    Its after giving me vertigo or something. I see young lads drinking this shít all day, they must be high as fcukin kites !!

Nah, not really. I drink 3 or 4 cans of this stuff a day. It's gorgeous if somewhat addictive! But it doesn't really affect me that way TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Nah, not really. I drink 3 or 4 cans of this stuff a day. It's gorgeous if somewhat addictive! But it doesn't really affect me that way TBH.

3 or 4 a day!!!! :eek::eek:
    That's like 1.5-2.5 litres and about a tenner!!!

I drink a bit of coffee and I assume its the caffeine that has the effect. So one can of this stuff must be like 3-4 cups of coffee. I'd be hopping off the walls if I drank 4 cans of this in a day.

No joke I'm actually high after drinking a can of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

As I was about to walk into a shop last week, these two kids pull me.
    These two little feckers want fags I tought to myself.
    Would you do us a favour, here is the money, can you get us a bottle of boost.:rolleyes:
    Whats the world coming to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I dont drink coffee and my teas so weak its like hot milk - havnt drank lemonade (coke) in a few years so im really sensitive to caffeine. Had red bull last week as i was knackered before work.
    Nearly had to get out sick about half n our in, was trembling and my head was spinning! Not nice :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I only drink the odd can of Red Bull before an exam or if i'm driving on the motorway to keep myself from falling asleep at the wheel...

And I never drink more than one (rarely 2) small cans of Red Bull in a day if I ever drink it.

I rarely drink coffee or tea either. Wouldn't like to get addicted to caffeine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You must be sensitive to caffeine.

I dont drink coffee and my teas so weak its like hot milk - havnt drank lemonade (coke) in a few years so im really sensitive to caffeine. Had red bull last week as i was knackered before work.
    Nearly had to get out sick about half n our in, was trembling and my head was spinning! Not nice :(

This stuff aint good for people not used to it. I'd say the effect it had on me wasnt too far off having a beer or smoke of a joint. I wouldnt be 100% with it like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lightweights :pac:

You must be sensitive to caffeine.

I drink coffee every day, sometimes 3-4 cups depending. I dont think I'd be that sensitive to caffeine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

How can I put this:
    You're either too old, too young or just missing 99% of your liver.

Either way, leave it to the pros. I can drink 4 cans of that in about an hour and be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

The miracle here is that they can get fools to spend a small fortune on coloured fizzy water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

cml387 wrote: »
    The miracle here is that they can get fools to spend a small fortune on coloured fizzy water.

Bud? Coors? Heineken?

• Advertisement
Advertisement