Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

browsing wrote: »
    @CramCycle,
    Even though I hate using the raised bicycle lanes I now use them at this point as it's not worth some crazy guy like that trying to prove a point and then knocking me down if I wobble. It's the most frightened I've ever been on a commute. I took pictures of him and his reg but never got around to reporting it as I've been up to my eyes lately. I think I'll get onto the bus company today.

Oddly enough, I find the cycle lanes to be not only unfit for purpose(bumps, potholes, dangerous surface in places), I have seen cyclists going the wrong way on them, the stretch near the Montrose seems to love having walkers on it, couple of those weird right angle turns to go straight on?!? have manhole covers that are incredibly slippy at any speed. I always used to take a record or photo on the heat of the moment and then forget about it.
    Yesterday was the first time my son had tasted food, it was an exciting day, my thought was that my wife would not be to impressed with me being seriously injured or killed on such a nice day. I don't let things go anymore, I will remain calm, keep my voice passive and relaxed and if their is no apology or at least understanding of what went wrong, then the only way this person will learn is through the appropriate actions of AGS.
    Presumably if a case is brought to court, the bus company will haul in their drivers and say, we cannot afford this, cop on and don't be a mentaller (my daughters word), job well done even if it is for the wrong reasons.

Garda was great this morning, took a 4 page statement, no mention of high vis (but I did tell her of my front and rear lights that were on). There were questions on why was I not using the cycle lane. I didn't want to go down the "because I am not required" route, and instead went for the unfit for purpose/dangerous route. Its so uneven I could be thrown under a close passing bus. They will now wait for identification of the driver by the company and will have him in for a statement as well as the accompanying video. I suspect he is going to try the, I gave him enough space, but he was travelling faster than perceived or some such other rubbish. Re watching the video, he actually starts the overtake in the correct position but you can then tell he slows to match my speed before pulling in. There is no excuses, it was clearly deliberate. I really hope he pulls the Cyclists should be in the cycle lane comment and the super remembers the SI change. even if the Si hadn't come in though, attempting to hit someone with a bus is hardly a valid response.

On a separate rant, my daughter was hit by a cyclist the other day while using a pedestrian crossing. The cyclist decided to undercut her after she had moved off and then scratched the back of her leg with their pedal. She came home and told my wife, then me a few days later, her conclusion being that while not all cyclists are d*cks, it's people like the girl who hit her are the reason people think cyclists are d*cks, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Garda was great this morning, took a 4 page statement

Did you submit the video as supporting 'evidence', on DVD/USB stick? Did the Garda watch the video and offer an opinion on it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Yesterday was the first time my son had tasted food

Breast-milk is food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

@cdaly_

Thanks for the tip. I know about occupying a lane alright and I do do it sometimes when it's tight so drivers/bus drivers behind me aren't tempted to try and squeeze by. At this point though, the bus lane is actually quite wide so it *shouldn't* really be required. Also, in general I find that at this point the traffic is fairly free flowing so there shouldn't really be a problem in getting into the other lane to overtake.

I've made a complaint to the company itself so I'll see what happens. If I don't hear back I'll get onto the gardai.

@CramCycle,

I've also experienced intimidation from bus eireann and dublin bus drivers but never felt extremely close to being knocked down. Like yourself I've confronted them them at lights etc. asking why they did what they did but I never use expletives etc. I usually get a similar response to yourself. I also take pictures usually in the heat of the moment but then forget about it. Perhaps I should report all of it. I don't use a video camera so perhaps if you report it all you may be perceived as the boy who cried wolf. I'll report more in future anyway and I now regret not reporting this immediately.

Ironically enough I used to think bus drivers were in general excellent and had a lot of patience for cyclists but a few incidents along this particular stretch have now changed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

So every morning on my way to work, I stop to get the paper and milk for our office. This morning, the racks closest to the shop were full, but there was one guy about to leave, so I waited while he unlocked his bike. As he moved his bike, another cyclist arrived. I put my bike in the vacant space, and this cyclist(/prick) decided to call me a "f**king sneaky c**t" who had "stolen" his "place".

I did not like that.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Did you submit the video as supporting 'evidence', on DVD/USB stick? Did the Garda watch the video and offer an opinion on it at all?
    I submitted it on DVD as I know from another Garda that they generally won't take USBs, in case their is something on it (like a virus/bug). She did not watchit with me, just that it would be viewed at the same time as the bus cameras and after the drivers statement.
    Raam wrote: »
    Breast-milk is food too.
    When did my wife sign up to boards :pac:
    Of course it is, should have clarified, solid food, he will continue to be breast fed for a long while left, he managed to suck away half a rusk this morning and cover 1./4 of outr kitchen in some sort of Porridge material.
    browsing wrote: »
    @CramCycle,

I've also experienced intimidation from bus eireann and dublin bus drivers but never felt extremely close to being knocked down. Like yourself I've confronted them them at lights etc. asking why they did what they did but I never use expletives etc. I usually get a similar response to yourself. I also take pictures usually in the heat of the moment but then forget about it. Perhaps I should report all of it. I don't use a video camera so perhaps if you report it all you may be perceived as the boy who cried wolf. I'll report more in future anyway and I now regret not reporting this immediately.

Ironically enough I used to think bus drivers were in general excellent and had a lot of patience for cyclists but a few incidents along this particular stretch have now changed my mind.
    I generally find bus drivers excellent, with noticeable improvements in the last 10 years (I have also improved). I have had a few trying to intimidate me with close passes, some who do not realise how much space is needed but rarely has it been done with such inconsiderate malice. I have had a few DBs try to skim me, hard to prove intent, easier to show stupidity. In fairness, the majority I have said it too, have said sorry, I can only recall one who started F'in and blinding at me and then a few I never caught up with. i also used to not report it for fear of being an annoyance as their would not be proof, or the burden would be on me, now with on board cameras and my own helmet camera, I don't mind as much.
    So every morning on my way to work, I stop to get the paper and milk for our office. This morning, the racks closest to the shop were full, but there was one guy about to leave, so I waited while he unlocked his bike. As he moved his bike, another cyclist arrived. I put my bike in the vacant space, and this cyclist(/prick) decided to call me a "f**king sneaky c**t" who had "stolen" his "place".

I did not like that.
    Queuing, if its one thing I'll give credit to our neighbours for, they know how to queue with manners, over here queuing seems to be a confusing game that you have to beat. Be it at racks like yourself or at traffic lights where the guy you overtook decides to waddle in front of you, or the ass in the supermarket who decides, your not really queuing and they step in, right in front of you. The last one really annoys me.

When did my wife sign up to boards :pac:
    Of course it is, should have clarified, solid food, he will continue to be breast fed for a long while left, he managed to suck away half a rusk this morning and cover 1./4 of outr kitchen in some sort of Porridge material.

Is it that baby porridge stuff? We barely got through a box of that before he was on to other stuff. Feeding time is a messy business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Breast-milk is food too.

Very true, but it's still time that you weaned yourself off it though, people are staring. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

doozerie wrote: »
    Very true, but it's still time that you weaned yourself off it though, people are staring. :pac:

Biiiiiiiiitty!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The worst bit if the N11 for that for me is the stretch from Newtown Park Avenue to UCD. I get a hideous close pass every couple of weeks, sometimes more even. I don't even think about using the cycle lane as it is in pure shíte and makes no sense. Usually Aircoach or Bus Eireann buses. The worst yet was the Bus Eireann 133. He stayed behind me, leaned on the horn, before passing so close my wheels were touching the camber of the footpath and bars inches from the side of the bus. I don't know how I stayed upright. I clearly forgot to bring the pogo stick attachment that day!
    Last week it was a DB, but they are in the minority. I am just used to it now, and unless it is super scary I don't pass any heed. I will now, if enough people report it something will be done, or at least there'll be words about it in the garages. You'd hope :eek:

• Advertisement

Is it that baby porridge stuff? We barely got through a box of that before he was on to other stuff. Feeding time is a messy business.
    We gave him a banana first which he mimicked eating, quite funny. After that we let him suck on a rusk, then today was porridge, just regular porridge AFAIK, the pictures look messy, I was in work when this happened.
    gadetra wrote: »
    Last week it was a DB, but they are in the minority. I am just used to it now, and unless it is super scary I don't pass any heed. I will now, if enough people report it something will be done, or at least there'll be words about it in the garages. You'd hope :eek:
    That was my main hope, that the garage manager or just the company in general would issue a warning that the union can't cover the wages of drivers put off the road for dangerous driving and that going forward the management would not tolerate or stand behind drivers behaving in such a manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

gadetra wrote: »
    Usually Aircoach or Bus Eireann buses. The worst yet was the Bus Eireann 133. He stayed behind me, leaned on the horn,

Would you consider, in this circumstance, stopping in the lane in front of the bus to ask what was the matter?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Would you consider, in this circumstance, stopping in the lane in front of the bus to ask what was the matter?
    I might but it reminds me of my Dad telling me to hold the road when I was learning to drive because I was in the right. I think my response was along the lines of "make sure they write that on my tombstone". I would get enjoyment out of it, it would probably show the driver that such behaviour does not get him/her what they want but then you have to look at the two other downsides. 1. Just because you stop, doesn't mean he will (fitting in with my response to my Dad) and 2. He still may not realise why you behaved that way, his hatred of cyclists becomes more engrained and he cuts it closer to the next person that he perceives has slighted him in some way.

I might but it reminds me of my Dad telling me to hold the road when I was learning to drive because I was in the right. I think my response was along the lines of "make sure they write that on my tombstone". I would get enjoyment out of it, it would probably show the driver that such behaviour does not get him/her what they want but then you have to look at the two other downsides. 1. Just because you stop, doesn't mean he will (fitting in with my response to my Dad) and 2. He still may not realise why you behaved that way, his hatred of cyclists becomes more engrained and he cuts it closer to the next person that he perceives has slighted him in some way.

And another consideration is that, to third parties, you are now seen as wilfully holding up traffic. That can matter a lot if the gardai get involved later. I've learned to my cost that holding up traffic can be interpreted as aggressive and irresponsible behaviour, regardless of the circumstances leading up to it - it can be enough to swing the benefit of the doubt, about who was in the wrong, against you and unless you have witnesses willing and able to support your version of events you might not be able to afford that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

cdaly_ wrote: »

No. I think it is too antagonistic, and you don't know they are going to pass so close until the last minute, and no instinct I possess can make me head out in front of a speedy oncoming bus :eek: No, all it would achieve is holding up the bus, the people on it and everyone behind. It's not their fault the driver is a dick. :cool:

Now what I would actually like to do the the cúnt if I had the chance is another matter :p

Went down to Corkagh Park today, as a sensible place to see how I'd manage on the bike outdoors for the first time since before Christmas. Nice to see a few parents with kids on bikes using it to pedal around.

Meant I couldn't go all out for a lap though (which is fine really, have to share sometimes). Was amusing to see a kid up ahead on the lefthand side of the track, I start slowing down, covering the brakes... kid glances behind, sees the approach, starts swerving wildly in panic. Bless.

There was one father though, and I have no idea what logic he was using - the entire park at his disposal, and he reckoned the finish line of Corkagh Park was the perfect spot for playing fetch the sliotar with his two ~5 year old boys. Each time I passed, there'd be a small child racing erratically along the tarmac. Thankfully he left after about ten minutes, as he was a very large man, and didn't seem the type who would appreciate someone telling him what to do. So I decided to moan about it on the Internet instead. Who's the big man now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I was in Skerries yesterday afternoon. Coming home I was stopped at the traffic lights here when a bike rider broke the red lights here to my left and again here in what I could only guess was an attempt at a Strava KOM on the new road surface up the hill. He turned off the road here however before the top of the hill so maybe he is just a complete tool instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

an attempt at a Strava KOM
    He turned off the road here [...] so maybe he is just a complete tool instead.

Does it really make a difference if he chases a KOM or not?

Alek wrote: »

A KOM-chaser is more likely to have the head down and going at speed - therefore not paying as much attention to their surroundings, and more likely to take risks in order not to lose time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Its still no excuse... I may chase KOMs sometimes but when a red light stops me, well, tough luck, see you next time Strava.

On a second though, breaking red with head down is downright suicidal.

• Advertisement

A KOM-chaser is more likely to have the head down and going at speed - therefore not paying as much attention to their surroundings, and more likely to take risks in order not to lose time.
    I think Aleks point is that it matters not one bit whether he had it down or up, he still broke the rules. Fair enough one might be construed as more dangerous than the other but both are rude, ignorant and illegal.

Alek wrote: »

No but it was the only reason that I could think of as to why he did what he did.

In a built up urban area with plenty of traffic that is sheer lunacy. Darwin awaits.

Lusk_Doyle wrote:
    I was in Skerries yesterday afternoon.
    Lusk_Doyle wrote:
    In a built up urban area with plenty of traffic...

Ah heyor, were you in Skerries or not? :pac:

Today a flat bed truck driver decided to squash me against the kerb here and then turn left onto the motorway in front of me and I could see him in his left wing mirror having to lean so far forward to see me in his mirror! What is with some people?

I'd forgotten how much I missed commuting by bike. Twice on the stretch from St Patrick's Cathedral to Christchurch I had motorists in the bus lane perform dangerous overtakes - one at speed who wasn't prepared to let me change lanes, and the other who pointed to the left after he left me a foot or so to spare while I was overtaking another cyclist.

I'd forgotten how much I missed commuting by bike. Twice on the stretch from St Patrick's Cathedral to Christchurch I had motorists in the bus lane perform dangerous overtakes - one at speed who wasn't prepared to let me change lanes, and the other who pointed to the left after he left me a foot or so to spare while I was overtaking another cyclist.

You totally should have side-swiped that last motorist. You'd have gotten away with it without un-due injury. Sure how many accidents have you had and you are still cycling. Hashtag-bulletproof hashtag-bionicman

You totally should have side-swiped that last motorist. You'd have gotten away with it without un-due injury. Sure how many accidents have you had and you are still cycling. Hashtag-bulletproof hashtag-bionicman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I had somebody try to overtake me in traffic yesterday and then beep at me when they couldn't get back in. What? It's my fault that you chose to overtake without sufficient room?...

• Advertisement

Back to the train this morning while I half-listen to my doctor. Left the house realising I was about two minutes late, ran all the way to the station. Tag on, then battle up the stairs against the crowd who have just alighted*. On to the platform just as the train starts to pull off. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Driver sees me, stops the train while it is partway out of the station so I can open the doors and get on. What a lad!

*or de-trained if you're Lusk Doyle

Advertisement