Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

DaithiMC wrote: »
    My fear is that many people drift into that kind of thoughtless, mindless state without realising it themselves and it becomes an habitual norm for them. I am not so sure it is a mindful lack of empathy.

My views on that have changed over the years, perhaps just with age. I used to think that people who do blatantly stupid things on the road are just being mindless, not wilfully ignorant, but I've come to believe that the root of the problem is that they've willingly absolved themselves of the obligation to care about the consequences of what they do.

At least, I recognise that in myself - I like to think that I'm a considerate person and that I don't impose myself on others, yet when I'm commuting (in particular, it doesn't arise so much when out for a spin) I tend to see slower cyclists as a real hindrance rather than simply a fact of life. And this despite the fact that I perceive that attitude from some motorists towards me and I hate it. In fairness, some cyclists arguably invite hostility by their obnoxious actions on a bike, but it's easy to let frustration at their antics to feed into a self-serving justification for mentally relegating them into a category of idiot that needs to be got past at any cost.

At a certain level that's a conscious decision that I make, it's as if I turn off my conscience in the presence of this (apparently obnoxious) person and do things that I'd normally consider unacceptable, such as squeeze past them closer than I typically would, stop closer to them than I typically would, ride closer to their rear wheel than I typically would, etc. I could try to argue that I'm doing this mindlessly, but if I'm being really honest with myself then I have to acknowledge that I consciously flip a switch in my head that turns me from a conscientious and empathetic road user into, basically, a dick. I think many people on the roads do likewise, I think I've lost the patience to give them the benefit of the doubt about whether there is a conscious decision involved at some level.

...or maybe I've just flipped another more subtle internal switch that turns me from "empathic person, really sound, like" into "grumpy judgemental fecker". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

CramCycle wrote: »
    I always found this behaviour amazing, in most other countries there is the principle of an implied yellow box. That is, at junctions where you would expect to see a yellow box, you should behave as if there is one regardless of wether it is there or not. You will be fined and treated the same as if the yellow box is there. Considering how hard many drivers appear to find the concept of the yellow box though it does not surprise me.

I'm not so sure about the "other countries" comparison - when driving in the UK, for instance, a much more densely populated country than ours, I am constantly restraining myself from thinking that there seems to be many more "fine displays of ignorance" than I see here. I am doing this because I fundamentally believe basic human behaviour in traffic is primarily associated or directly proportional to the traffic density. Its why I think, anecdotally people from rural areas perceive themselves to be friendlier, when in fact they would evolve the same cultural norms were they to live in a city for a reasonable amount of time. We are all humans after all, separated more by cultural and environmental experiences than physical differences!

I did read some time ago about an experiment somewhere that took out the traffic lights and other junction controls from an area in a medium-sized city and people reverted back to "polite" behaviour, probably not surprising if you believe we are basically empathic at some level (and its what religious types try really hard to make us forget!). However, I think that needs to be an "all or nothing" approach - removing only half the controls would really confuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

doozerie wrote: »
    ...or maybe I've just flipped another more s;)ubtle internal switch that turns me from "empathic person, really sound, like" into "grumpy judgemental fecker". :)

The TV programme QI, covered the topic of the "Grumpy Old Man" and apparently their source references concluded that it is not something acquired with age, i.e., if you are a "Grumpy Old Man", you were more likely to have been a "Grumpy Young Man"!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm not so sure about the "other countries" comparison - when driving in the UK, for instance, a much more densely populated country than ours, I am constantly restraining myself from thinking that there seems to be many more "fine displays of ignorance" than I see here. I am doing this because I fundamentally believe basic human behaviour in traffic is primarily associated or directly proportional to the traffic density. Its why I think, anecdotally people from rural areas perceive themselves to be friendlier, when in fact they would evolve the same cultural norms were they to live in a city for a reasonable amount of time. We are all humans after all, separated more by cultural and environmental experiences than physical differences!
    Oddly enough it was the UK to which I was referring too but maybe now it is no longer the accepted practice. People were militant in my view there, the traffic corps especially, whereas here, I get the overriding impression that people believe they can talk there way out of it regardless of how ignorant the maneuvre was.
    I did read some time ago about an experiment somewhere that took out the traffic lights and other junction controls from an area in a medium-sized city and people reverted back to "polite" behaviour, probably not surprising if you believe we are basically empathic at some level (and its what religious types try really hard to make us forget!). However, I think that needs to be an "all or nothing" approach - removing only half the controls would really confuse!
    I seen a programme about it, people reverted back to approaching junctions with caution, the removal of one set of lights apparently reduced traffic jams by upto 45 minutes at one junction. I know it was in the UK but can't remember where. The number of accidents was also reduced but I do not know if it was statistically relevant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

The TV programme QI, covered the topic of the "Grumpy Old Man" and apparently their source references concluded that it is not something acquired with age, i.e., if you are a "Grumpy Old Man", you were more likely to have been a "Grumpy Young Man"!

I have been a grumpy young man and look forward to being a grumpy old man. When you are young most people just call you a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

mathie wrote: »
    I was out at the weekend for a spin and on my way back home I saw a guy in front of me a few hundred metres off.
    I continued at my normal pace and gained on him quickly enough.
    As I passed I decided I'd try my first ever friendly wave (I've not been cycling long and was told recently I should do it when I pass someone)

Within about 30 metres he overtook me going flat out and then took a sharp turn in front of me.

Does that annoy anyone else or is it just me being a grumpy old fart?
    Did my friendly wave backfire?
    why get annoyed when you get overtaken, it makes no sense, just carry on with your own spin & leave the other person to their's. just be be glad to be out enjoying(half dead) the experience! if a "passed-by" gets the hump, thats their issue not the passer-by.

Today is my first day back on a bike since an unexpected encounter with the ground on Saturday and it was obvious from the start that it wasn’t going to be the most comfortable. I had my wife and daughter for cycling company for the first kilometre though, which was a welcome distraction, and the parting sight of my daughter determinedly attacking the hill towards her Montessori while I waited at a red light at a set of crossroads left me in a positive mood.

So when my light went green, and I ached my way across the junction, my reaction to the cyclist behind who tried to undertake me mid-junction (with insufficient space to do so) was muted. My mood just dropped a notch from downright friendly to neutral, so it was with no malice that I didn’t allow him through, I simply was not going to pull out in front of the car behind to make space for him. Then he clung to my rear wheel for a bit before overtaking me a hundred metres later so that he could tear along the footpath to bypass the red light that everyone else was stopping for. I recognised him as an obnoxious late middle-aged arsehole that I see regularly breaking pretty much every red light on our shared commute. My mood dropped further, from neutral to indignant.

Light went green, the two cars ahead moved through the offset junction, I followed, my route takes me straight ahead. My face was set in what was essentially a permanent scowl because of the discomfort of cycling, and with the occasional involuntary groans I must have looked and sounded like a particularly cranky head the ball. That image was probably confirmed then when I waved a disbelieving arm at the motorist behind me who tried to overtake me in the middle of this very small junction, which was offset to such an extent that to complete her overtake she was either going to have to collide with the traffic island immediately ahead of her, or she was going to have to literally shove me off the road. She settled for hitting the brakes, taking the time to give me an incredulous and cold stare. In the face of such charm my empathy decided “ye know what, fcuk this, fcuk everyone!” and promptly switched itself off.

A few hundred metres later and I encountered a green light as I approached a T-junction where I turn right. The presence of the two cars ahead of me taking the right turn, followed by me, did nothing to dissuade a cyclist coming from the left from cutting across the top of the T, through his red light and straight into my path. He got an earful, though I’m surprised at how moderate I was, clearly my inner psycho wasn’t up to speed yet. He ignored me though, which gives the impression that he felt he had done nothing wrong and will ignore the red light next time too. Par for the course, cyclists in particular sail through that junction on red regularly.

The rest of the ride was relatively quiet, there were the usual shoaling cyclists, the usual cars trying to use the cycle lanes as undertaking lanes and expressing the usual surprise when their 2m wide car won’t fit in a lane that is often less than 1m wide, the late middle-aged arse of a cyclist from above breaking every light and squeezing past cyclists on the move when there really isn’t adequate room to do so as usual, the usual cyclists rolling past their red light and stopping in the middle of busy junctions and casually ignoring the irate looks from traffic on a green light who have to negotiate around them, the usual cyclists casually breaking red lights and weaving between crossing pedestrians as if it was the most normal thing in the world (but say something to them and expect an aggressive response, no-one imposes on their personal space either physically or verbally ‘cos that’s just some kind of wrong), etc. Just a regular commute really.

My commute home may be interesting. After an uncomfortable day sitting at a desk I’ll likely be starting out from a slightly detached mood of “I just don’t understand this sh1t that people do on the roads” (lasers set to “STUN”), borderline a very proactive mood of “Just. Fcuk. Right. Off.” (lasers set to “BURN IN HELL!”). Normal empathy and inner calm may be restored later in the week, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

First post in this thread but I think it belongs here rather than the "Tell us about your cycle" thread.

Had an eventful morning, nearly got wiped out twice on the way in. First here, a car decided to try overtake me whilst there was traffic coming the opposite way and instead of backing off he slowed to match my speed and stayed right beside me, pressing me in against the hedge, which led to much yelling and frantic arm waving. He then overtook, whilst going around the small bend up ahead, which is blind, and I could see he was trying his absolute best to ignore the cyclist he nearly killed. Found it funny when the car behind him gave me a friendly beep and a thumbs up after I waved him on cause I could see the road ahead was clear.

Second was along here, cars were turning right onto Sussex Terrace, some guy in a BMW decides to undertake (technically not illegal) whilst I was passing in the bike lane and pulls in on top of me, had to jam on the brakes and nearly got hit by the bike behind me. I start banging on his boot and giving him a "what the hell are you doing" look which he completely ignores and drives off. Then some @rse in a mini pulls along side me with his window down and starts shouting abuse at me, cyclists are this that and the other, telling me I'd no right to be giving out to the other driver as cars have priority. I explained to him that the cycle lane was occupied by me and others so the other car shouldn't have been undertaking as it wasn't safe to do so at the time. His reaction was to call me a w@nk*r or something along those lines and drive off.

I know undertaking a car turning right technically is legal, as there's a provision for it in the ROTR, but surely pulling in top of cyclist in an occupied cycle lane is, even if it is an Advisory Cycle Lane?

After narrowly avoiding getting punched off the bike yesterday on the way home (and spraying the attempted puncher in the face with water) and these two incidents, I'm becoming more convinced that the nice weather does crazy things to a lot of people' brains!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

jgreene83 wrote: »
    I know undertaking a car turning right technically is legal, as there's a provision for it in the ROTR, but surely pulling in top of cyclist in an occupied cycle lane is, even if it is an Advisory Cycle Lane?
    Legal, but still subject to rules of the road (and common sense). The instance you describe appears to be governed by at least one of the following rules:

ROTR p. 50 "Changing traffic lanes
    Don’t move from one traffic lane to another without good reason.
    You must give way to traffic already in the lane into which you are moving."

That means that if it counted as a lane change, the driver should still have given way to you.

and

ROTR p. 52 "You must not overtake when
    [...]
    At any other time, to do so would cause danger or inconvenience to
    another road user"

That applies to overtaking on either side and pulling directly in front of another road user counts as inconvenience, as a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Second was along here, cars were turning right onto Sussex Terrace, some guy in a BMW decides to undertake (technically not illegal) whilst I was passing in the bike lane and pulls in on top of me, had to jam on the brakes and nearly got hit by the bike behind me. I start banging on his boot and giving him a "what the hell are you doing" look which he completely ignores and drives off. Then some @rse in a mini pulls along side me with his window down and starts shouting abuse at me, cyclists are this that and the other, telling me I'd no right to be giving out to the other driver as cars have priority. I explained to him that the cycle lane was occupied by me and others so the other car shouldn't have been undertaking as it wasn't safe to do so at the time. His reaction was to call me a w@nk*r or something along those lines and drive off.

dreamerb wrote: »
    Legal, but still subject to rules of the road (and common sense). The instance you describe appears to be governed by at least one of the following rules:

ROTR p. 50 "Changing traffic lanes
    Don’t move from one traffic lane to another without good reason.
    You must give way to traffic already in the lane into which you are moving."

That means that if it counted as a lane change, the driver should still have given way to you.

and

ROTR p. 52 "You must not overtake when
    [...]
    At any other time, to do so would cause danger or inconvenience to
    another road user"

That applies to overtaking on either side and pulling directly in front of another road user counts as inconvenience, as a minimum.
    And personally, in that situation, I move out to occupy the lane in advance of the undertaking opportunity...

• Advertisement

Its still driving without due care and attention if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

That section of Mespil Road seems to bring out the impatient green eyed monsters to be honest, still doesn't justify some peoples actions. Thanks for clearing up the legal side of things CramCycle and dreamerb, I had a fair idea myself, but always good to have a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Something has brought out the collective stupid in the last few days. My commutes this week have not been very fun, from the muppet who decided to undertake me at speed on Tuesday evening only to screech to a halt 25 m later, to the twit who looked right at me cycling at speed down Harold's Cross Road and still decided to pull her car out of a side road across my path.

This morning's cycle was full of everyone's favourite enemy, pesky cyclists. At the junction of Lower Kimmage Road and Sundrive, I got caught by the lights as happens, I would estimate, about 80% of the time. So there I am, waiting for the lights to turn, and Madame Long-Hair on the step-through ladies bike breezes through. I have history with her going all the way back to yesterday evening when it took ages to get to a safe overtaking spot, and she later pavement-hopped and broke a red to plop straight in front of me again. So I groan, and probably mumble a bit. Lights change, off I go, and she's clearly got more in the legs this morning because it does take a while to catch and overtake her. Now I'm a bit happier, but I reach the stretch by Harold's Cross Park and the blonde girl on the princess bike with a flowery basket looks at me and decides heck, she'll pull out anyway. So I steer out around her only to get to red light at the bottom of the park - that's another 80%-er - and I stop, as you do. A few seconds later princess stops behind me (I'm surprised by this actually), but another few seconds pass and Madame Long-Hair arrives at the junction, rolls half-way through the yellow box, decides that's maybe not such a good idea, diverts to hopping on to the pavement and cycling on that until she gets to the hospice and hops back out into traffic there.

I don't know if flower-princess is inspired by these antics or if she just over-reacts to the caterway van at the head of the other lane which starts revving for no particular reason, but having been patiently sitting behind me waiting, she now decides to pull out round and half-way through the yellow. Which is irritating.

Finally, the lights turn. I pass flower-princess in a heartbeat and race my way to the bridge, but no - lights have turned. This is a junction I very often walk to take the right-turn, because when traffic is moving freely there's a really nasty chance that you'll have two lanes of traffic passing you either side because none of the other traffic is taking the turn. So, having indicated, I cycle to the far side of the road and dismount. Dismounting is not for flower-princess who, while I wait for traffic along the canal to clear so I can cross, is alarming pedestrians by wobbling about on the pavement. I cross, remount the bike and just as I'm taking off flower-princess decides that she's going past me *in the bike lane*. "*Don't* do that" I call (the intent was to go for "stern", the effect was probably "plaintive"), as I brake to let her past - I overtake her a grand total of about a second later.

But the lights are red at Rathmines Bridge, so I stop and queue. This time the offender is a man on a knobbly-tyred mountain bike who is the first to shoal, followed by suit-man on a nondescript hybrid... but at least by the time the lights turn, flower-princess hasn't caught up. I take a left and, as always, just have to wait for the canal cycle-track lights - the sequencing here is abysmal. They turn, off I go - but the lights at the bottom of Richmond Street are also red. I brake gently to avoid the dozy ped who wanders in front of me looking vaguely glazed about 20m before the lights and I'm the first cyclist to the lights. A couple of later-arriving cyclists decide they'll move out into the junction despite the fact that there is some traffic coming from the right. And then Mr. All-Lycra pulls up to my left, but ahead, on his Lapierre road-bike. Lights turn, off he goes, but I'm keeping pace on his outside until he decides he maybe should break a red light on Camden Street.

All of which just goes to show that traffic lights are a colossal PITA. And I'm not having much fellow-feeling with the rest of humanity today. My zen is broken.

I think yesterday my grump came out in force on the way into work. I have slowly slipped into the eye rolling instead of out and out giving out. But for whatever reason yesterday, every ped who stepped out in front of me, I avoided but made sure to give a fairly deafening roar, "look right" (although to one I said look left, which must have really confused him). Every person who overtook me on red I let subtle blend of suitably unPC terms flow from my mouth to the open air. Although I was muted when a DB skimmed me (made contact) as I was waiting on Red and he decided he could fit between me and the pavement. My favourite was one where out of some child hood habit I coughed when I said what I said and he stopped, and turned to me. I apologised, telling him I coughed while calling him a RLJing ***** so he might not have heard it clearly.

All of this was topped off by my evening drive, on my return home I was indicating right into my estate and only when I reached the junction did the car waiting to come out pull out, and missed my front bumper by a cm at best. I followed him up the road to get his number plate but there is a left or right lane at the next lights with a long turn around time. I pulled up beside him, put on my flashers, got out of my car, took out a camera and took a photo of his face, the flash illuminated the inside of his car. He never flinched, he was too busy reading texts, so much so that I got back into my own car, waited for the green and pulled off only to see that he had to run an amber to make it through despite being only second in the queue.

My behaviour was wildly inappropriate but sometimes, I take after the minority of road users in Dublin and just stop giving a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Heading along the coast road between Portmarnock and Malahide the other evening and I saw a red pedestrian light in the distance. Then it started to flash amber. At this point a woman with three kids started to cross. She let the first two off and then waited for the other one. The the light turned green for traffic and she finally got her last child and proceeded to cross. At this point I moved to overtake the car that was stopped at the green light. I was doing about 30 kmh and the woman felt it'd be approriate to stop in the middle of the road and shout "WHOA" in a kind of Keanu Reeves way. She was trying to give out to me. I didn't have the energy to point at the colour of the lights.

Then in my home estate a couple started crossing the road without looking and let their dog on a lead wander to the other side of the road. The lead was stretched across the whole length of the road when I arrived at them. I gave it a "control your dog" but my hindsight thought came up with "Lucky I'm not a car or your dog would be brown bread"

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Stephen_C

Heading along the coast road between Portmarnock and Malahide the other evening and I saw a red pedestrian light in the distance. Then it started to flash amber. At this point a woman with three kids started to cross. She let the first two off and then waited for the other one. The the light turned green for traffic and she finally got her last child and proceeded to cross. At this point I moved to overtake the car that was stopped at the green light. I was doing about 30 kmh and the woman felt it'd be approriate to stop in the middle of the road and shout "WHOA" in a kind of Keanu Reeves way. She was trying to give out to me. I didn't have the energy to point at the colour of the lights.

Don't know if I'd agree with flying on through the light in this instance, an amber flashing light at a pedestrian crossing still requires you to yield to pedestrians and a green light still only means 'proceed if safe to do so'. You could obviously see the lady was struggling to cross with three kids why not slow down and let her finish? Just seems a bit unnecessary for the sake of it.

Alot easier to point out the colour of the lights from the moral high ground after having stopped and let her across?

Stephen_C wrote: »
    Don't know if I'd agree with flying on through the light in this instance, an amber flashing light at a pedestrian crossing still requires you to yield to pedestrians and a green light still only means 'proceed if safe to do so'. You could obviously see the lady was struggling to cross with three kids why not slow down and let her finish? Just seems a bit unnecessary for the sake of it.

Alot easier to point out the colour of the lights from the moral high ground after having stopped and let her across?

The three kids were across when I went through the lights.
    I was nowhere near her when I passed. She was 75% of the way across and I moved over to the middle of the other side of the road.
    She was standing in front of a car who had a green light giving out to me which I didn't think was right.

The three kids were across when I went through the lights.
    I was nowhere near her when I passed. She was 75% of the way across and I moved over to the middle of the other side of the road.
    She was standing in front of a car who had a green light giving out to me which I didn't think was right.
    Your first description made it sound like she was in front of you which probably explains the confusion, don't think you done anything wrong if she was already out of the way and you weren't near her.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Your first description made it sound like she was in front of you which probably explains the confusion, don't think you done anything wrong if she was already out of the way and you weren't near her.

Yeah I only read it back and it read like I'd the cross hairs on for my sprint home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Good deed of the day done - I let a white van man turn across me this morning. One small step... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

buffalo wrote: »
    Good deed of the day done - I let a white van man turn across me this morning. One small step... ?

Nah I'd say you've just confused him. At this moment he's probably sitting in a forecourt somewhere chewing his breakfast roll repeating to himself "Where's the catch, there must be a catch?"

[Yet another long post, but hey, I'm on holiday! Short version: kids are awesome, particularly mine :) ]

The day of the Stephen Roche GP seemed to take a long time to arrive as far as my daughter was concerned. She had finallly made the decision to ride her bike only a few weeks before. She had grown to love her balance bike but seemed hesitant to make the transition to a bike with pedals until the apparently randomly chosen day arrived when, with her usual seemingly casual approach which we know well at this stage to be underpinned by a steely determination, she insisted that she go outside and ride the bike.

On day one my wife gave her a push each time to get her going and she wobbled off while trying to negotiate pedalling and steering at the same time. On day two she was pushing herself off. On day three she was cycling to school alongside my wife, and declaring she didn’t like the hills between our house and Montessori. When she got home though, despite the hills, she’d insist on practicing on the road/footpaths outside our house, which usually turned unto a race with whichever parent was cycling alongside her. It was just fun, not an indication of a highly competitive nature. There was some mild cheating involved too, just childish games, not at all an indication of a ruthless determination.

My wife had brought her to see the Stephen Roche GP last year, and she’d enjoyed it. She was intrigued by the race for the very young kids. She had casually mentioned that she’d like to do it the next year. We thought it would be fun to see her “race” on her balance bike, fully prepared for this proving to be a fanciful idea of hers that didn’t stand the test of time - a year is a very long time to stick with any idea when you are small. A little over 11 months later and she was now proficient on her pedal bike, her balance bike collecting dust in a corner, she’d been out to the circuit to ride/pedal round part of it, and she’d already pointed out one local stretch of road as being “perfect to practice for the race”. That’s cute, we told ourselves, it’s just an off-hand remark, nothing scary, we haven’t created a monster.

Cue the evening of the race. She had had a big day already, she had spent a few hours that morning in the primary school she’ll be starting in later this year. We expected her to be tired by the evening, maybe going to the race was going to be the last thing on her mind. I arrived home from work to find her already finishing her dinner, dressed in the tiny kids cycling jersey we bought for her several months ago and which hadn’t seen the light of day since. We haven’t created a monster, no no.

All three of were going to cycle together to the race, a journey of about 2km or so. The responsible adults were being encouraged by the small child to “hurry up or we’ll be late for the race”. Perfectly normal… We were running a little late so our daughter motored along on her bike. Eagerness is good, we thought, nothing to fear there. She instigated impromptu mini races along the way, she certainly caught me napping more than once as I had to put in more than a casual effort to catch up with her. That’s normal too …right? We rode on a newly opened stretch of walking/cycling track along the way and she mentioned about it too being perfect to practice for the race. This may have been the point at which it dawned on us that we had, indeed, created a monster. Or, more correctly, this entirely self-motivated monster had created itself.

A confidence crisis as all of the kids were gathered together in one large group before their respective races reminded us that she really is just a 5yr old, and only by a few weeks too. We assumed she got nervous because of the general activity around her and applied parental reassurance involving hugs and verbal reminders that she was okay. Mind you, she did say later that the crisis was because she had seen much older kids around her and felt that this wasn’t fair as they were guaranteed to win the/her race. Hmm, a touch of the ambitious monster again then.

It seemed touch and go whether she’d regain enough confidence to actually do the race. She did. She lined up with the other kids in the novices (5yrs and under) race about 50m from the finish line. She still looked a little nervous, but there she was, tiny and determined. I was really proud of her, she’d come a long way to line up in her first bike race, in more ways than one. I had my camera phone ready to video the race but it went into standby while I waited. When the race started my daughter went from stationery to full sprint in what seemed like a fraction of a second. I was too slow, story of my life really, by the time I started recording she was already passing me at the half-way point, her face the same mask of focused determination that we’d become familiar with seeing as she practiced on her bike each day. She was in the lead. Admittedly several of the other kids in the race were on stabilisers which hindered rather than helped them, but there were a couple of boys without stabilisers and they were giving it socks too.

I yelled encouragement, mentally checking myself before I uttered something that might be frowned upon (I’m not entirely sure, but it’s possible that a shout of “Bury the bastards!” would have been seen as inappropriate). A few metres before the line she stopped pedalling and freewheeled. One of the boys put in an impressive effort and seemed on the verge of passing her out in the final two metres. She rolled over the line just ahead of him though, buffalo took a great photo of her which shows the same slightly impassive but determined facial expression as she took victory as she’d shown from the moment the race started. I wasn’t entirely sure if she realised she’d won, but a few minutes later as I chatted casually to her and congratulated her on the win, she threw both arms in the air and yelled “YESSS!”. She paused, and did it again. It was hilarious and brilliant all in one. I was delighted for her, it was fantastic to see her so proud of her own achievement.

My wife took her off for a victory ice cream, it was well earned. The prizes for the kids events were to be given out during the main race. My wife carried her up onto the trailer to receive her prize, cue another crisis of confidence. The noise and the crowds were a bit too much for her, perfectly understandable. When she calmed down though she was well chuffed with her prize, a Joe Daly Cycles cycling cap that actually suits her very well. She wore it cycling home later.

I have to say thanks a lot to Orwell Cycling Club for staging a great event (there were other races on the night too, other than the novices one like, apparently :) ). It may just have been instrumental in making cycling events and fun synonymous in my daughter’s mind, but at the very least she really enjoyed herself on the night and the confidence she took from it is evident each time she has climbed on her bike since. And thanks to buffalo too for some great photos which have received the approval of my daughter.

The novices race champ is currently on holiday in the west of Ireland. Though based on the way she is attacking the local hills on her bike, victory cap on her head, it might be better described as a secret training camp. I think she has plans to race again at next year’s Stephen Roche GP. The monster is flourishing :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Best post yet old man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

That is adorable! Unsurprising as she clearly has great cycling genes*.

*I mean your wife, obviously!

All that writing and I still forgot to post my daughter's stats. We bought her one of the Aldi cycle computers and it has been on her bike almost exactly 4 weeks and in that time she has clocked up 130km, max speed of 28.3kph, average speed of 12.9kph. That's made up almost entirely of commuting to and from Montessori each day, with a few short weekend spins thrown in where she cycled to one local playground or another. Well, that's our understanding anyway, from her perspective much of that might actually have been determined training for her recent big event/goal :)

Her biggest mileage for a single day to date is 14km - she cycled to Montessori in the morning, from there to her dance class in the evening, and cycled home afterwards. I'm in awe of her energy, kids really are solar powered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

A 5 year old hitting 28.3kph?!?!?!

Impressive to say the least! She's going to be beating your strava segments in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

doozerie wrote: »
    [Yet another long post, but hey, I'm on holiday! Short version: kids are awesome, particularly mine :) ]

The day of the Stephen Roche GP seemed to take a long time to arrive as far as my daughter was concerned. She had finallly made the decision to ride her bike only a few weeks before. She had grown to love her balance bike but seemed hesitant to make the transition to a bike with pedals until the apparently randomly chosen day arrived when, with her usual seemingly casual approach which we know well at this stage to be underpinned by a steely determination, she insisted that she go outside and ride the bike.

On day one my wife gave her a push each time to get her going and she wobbled off while trying to negotiate pedalling and steering at the same time. On day two she was pushing herself off. On day three she was cycling to school alongside my wife, and declaring she didn’t like the hills between our house and Montessori. When she got home though, despite the hills, she’d insist on practicing on the road/footpaths outside our house, which usually turned unto a race with whichever parent was cycling alongside her. It was just fun, not an indication of a highly competitive nature. There was some mild cheating involved too, just childish games, not at all an indication of a ruthless determination.

My wife had brought her to see the Stephen Roche GP last year, and she’d enjoyed it. She was intrigued by the race for the very young kids. She had casually mentioned that she’d like to do it the next year. We thought it would be fun to see her “race” on her balance bike, fully prepared for this proving to be a fanciful idea of hers that didn’t stand the test of time - a year is a very long time to stick with any idea when you are small. A little over 11 months later and she was now proficient on her pedal bike, her balance bike collecting dust in a corner, she’d been out to the circuit to ride/pedal round part of it, and she’d already pointed out one local stretch of road as being “perfect to practice for the race”. That’s cute, we told ourselves, it’s just an off-hand remark, nothing scary, we haven’t created a monster.

Cue the evening of the race. She had had a big day already, she had spent a few hours that morning in the primary school she’ll be starting in later this year. We expected her to be tired by the evening, maybe going to the race was going to be the last thing on her mind. I arrived home from work to find her already finishing her dinner, dressed in the tiny kids cycling jersey we bought for her several months ago and which hadn’t seen the light of day since. We haven’t created a monster, no no.

All three of were going to cycle together to the race, a journey of about 2km or so. The responsible adults were being encouraged by the small child to “hurry up or we’ll be late for the race”. Perfectly normal… We were running a little late so our daughter motored along on her bike. Eagerness is good, we thought, nothing to fear there. She instigated impromptu mini races along the way, she certainly caught me napping more than once as I had to put in more than a casual effort to catch up with her. That’s normal too …right? We rode on a newly opened stretch of walking/cycling track along the way and she mentioned about it too being perfect to practice for the race. This may have been the point at which it dawned on us that we had, indeed, created a monster. Or, more correctly, this entirely self-motivated monster had created itself.

A confidence crisis as all of the kids were gathered together in one large group before their respective races reminded us that she really is just a 5yr old, and only by a few weeks too. We assumed she got nervous because of the general activity around her and applied parental reassurance involving hugs and verbal reminders that she was okay. Mind you, she did say later that the crisis was because she had seen much older kids around her and felt that this wasn’t fair as they were guaranteed to win the/her race. Hmm, a touch of the ambitious monster again then.

It seemed touch and go whether she’d regain enough confidence to actually do the race. She did. She lined up with the other kids in the novices (5yrs and under) race about 50m from the finish line. She still looked a little nervous, but there she was, tiny and determined. I was really proud of her, she’d come a long way to line up in her first bike race, in more ways than one. I had my camera phone ready to video the race but it went into standby while I waited. When the race started my daughter went from stationery to full sprint in what seemed like a fraction of a second. I was too slow, story of my life really, by the time I started recording she was already passing me at the half-way point, her face the same mask of focused determination that we’d become familiar with seeing as she practiced on her bike each day. She was in the lead. Admittedly several of the other kids in the race were on stabilisers which hindered rather than helped them, but there were a couple of boys without stabilisers and they were giving it socks too.

I yelled encouragement, mentally checking myself before I uttered something that might be frowned upon (I’m not entirely sure, but it’s possible that a shout of “Bury the bastards!” would have been seen as inappropriate). A few metres before the line she stopped pedalling and freewheeled. One of the boys put in an impressive effort and seemed on the verge of passing her out in the final two metres. She rolled over the line just ahead of him though, buffalo took a great photo of her which shows the same slightly impassive but determined facial expression as she took victory as she’d shown from the moment the race started. I wasn’t entirely sure if she realised she’d won, but a few minutes later as I chatted casually to her and congratulated her on the win, she threw both arms in the air and yelled “YESSS!”. She paused, and did it again. It was hilarious and brilliant all in one. I was delighted for her, it was fantastic to see her so proud of her own achievement.

My wife took her off for a victory ice cream, it was well earned. The prizes for the kids events were to be given out during the main race. My wife carried her up onto the trailer to receive her prize, cue another crisis of confidence. The noise and the crowds were a bit too much for her, perfectly understandable. When she calmed down though she was well chuffed with her prize, a Joe Daly Cycles cycling cap that actually suits her very well. She wore it cycling home later.

I have to say thanks a lot to Orwell Cycling Club for staging a great event (there were other races on the night too, other than the novices one like, apparently :) ). It may just have been instrumental in making cycling events and fun synonymous in my daughter’s mind, but at the very least she really enjoyed herself on the night and the confidence she took from it is evident each time she has climbed on her bike since. And thanks to buffalo too for some great photos which have received the approval of my daughter.

The novices race champ is currently on holiday in the west of Ireland. Though based on the way she is attacking the local hills on her bike, victory cap on her head, it might be better described as a secret training camp. I think she has plans to race again at next year’s Stephen Roche GP. The monster is flourishing :)
    That post has made me smile. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

That post made me want to tell my wife about it...but then I'm not allowed to talk to her about cycling any more :/

That post made me want to tell my wife about it...but then I'm not allowed to talk to her about cycling any more :/

I keep bringing up cargo bikes and the like but she is having none of it, what age can you get them on a balance bike?

• Advertisement

Back to the rantings. Today was lovely, be it the reduction in traffic due to the lack of school runs, or the generally fantastic weather putting everyone in less of a rush, or maybe the sunlight through their window in the morning means that they are all awake earlier and there is less need to rush in. Even Donnybrook junction had no stupid maneuvres (bar a woman in front of me on her phone who kept swerving within the lane so I left overtaking her till she caught traffic and I realised, oh that's fine, she is on her phone :rolleyes:

All is well until Ballsbridge when a guy runs through the red in front of me and 2 cars, luckily going slowly. I take it handy at this junction as I am used to DB running the double lights here and he swans through. I ask in passing "How are those red lights working out for you?" he looked bewildered so I said nowt more, at the next lights he waited a car behind with deep suspicion in his eyes, suppose if he learns something my comment was worth it, even if it is through fear rather than safety. As I took off from these lights another cyclist swanned around the american embassy corner just missing the two people in front of me by sheer luck, I braked hard and swung wide. Again I asked, "How are those red lights working out for you?" Again bewilderment, a response was uttered but I felt in no need to wait to hear it.

The rest of the trip was back to being delightful with 2 taxis waving me out to overtake, and everyone having a lovely day bar the moped rider who also decided that red lights were not for him. He first ran a red around me at the canal, then again in front of me at the turn for Macken St. No concern in the world, nor a F given about the two peds he skimmed. I wanted to give out but I just put thought into the clutch that will slip, the ABS that will not engage in time, and the regret of his family that he managed to get himself killed while riding a hairdryer to work.

It was overall a pleasant cycle, Dublin is beautiful on a day like today, and I suppose its lucky that 3 people did not ruin it for others by getting themselves killed through idiocy, have to take the positives.

Advertisement