Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lots of minor issues since the school shave returned, but they are so common I just can't be arsed talking about them anymore, although I did enjoy the bus lane Beemer who skimmed the cyclist in front of me getting caught by the fuzz only a minute later last night.

This morning, instead, I have to rant about myself. coming in the Donnybrook road, the end of my pump clipped a wing mirror quite badly, not sure how it happened but it had basically worked its way out of my bag side-wards. I swung right and stopped so I would be at the drivers window.

She pulled up, and I apologised profusely. She said it was OK, does not seem to be any damage and left me alone. I stayed behind her till the next red lights and then pulled around to the wing mirror to check myself. Luckily, no mark, scuff or damage. She put down her window, and I said I could not see anything and she was happy enough. I offered my number and name but she was happy that all was OK.

My fault, too close to her while I was in the bus lane. Glad she took it well and that there was no damage done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the worst thing i had to deal with along those lines was coming off on wet leaves and clattering into a car on the way down - and i did scrape it. the driver couldn't have been more decent about it, was far more concerned for me than for her car. only injury to me was some scrapes on my hands, and i think a sore neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

On a bus this morning heading out to Belfield (to collect the bike) when a cyclist got knocked down by a taxi at the corner of Waterloo Road and Baggot Street. Didn't actually see it but the bus driver did. He stopped to give his contact details, bus number etc and also the fact that the bus would have video footage of the crash. After we moved on he radioed the bus garage to make sure they preserved the footage as evidence.
    No idea who was at fault but hopefully it helped establish just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    I offered my number and name but she was happy that all was OK.
    Commuter pickup fail.

Coming up the N11 earlier than usual yesterday on the way to Stillorgan, I noticed at every bus stop there were swathes of students waiting, great to see PT getting used. It did mean that the cycle lanes were generally blocked but I don't use them on that stretch of road as I don't think they are in particularly good nick. Coming past another stop, roughly 30 students awaiting, when a DB starts an overtake with about 50cm to spare and then pulls in on me just as the driver got level with me. It was a punishment pass, the taxi behind even checked was I alright after the guy had passed. Regardless of where I normally cycle, I would have had to cycle on the road as the cycle lane was blocked (doubtful you could walk through with any ease).

Luckily for the driver, his bus was so dirty that you could not make out the license plate of number (although there is a giant ad on it to make it more identifiable). Traffic was moving fairly nippy in the main driving lanes so a proper overtake was more than easy to accommodate and the bus lane is so wide at this point that he could have even done it with a meter to spare within the lane. Last time I gave a time and location to DB they claimed there was no way to ID the bus/driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Coming up the N11 ...
    :mad:
    Do I remember you writing that you got a helmet-cam? If so, don't suppose you had it on and running?...

I have it on camera and the GPS from my edge with the exact time but when he passed me the dirt was to hard to make out.

EDIT: I just went back though and had a look at my footage and at the previous lights I catch his plates. Not too dirty but his plates are black and the alphanumeric ID is white, hence it was harder to see in motion.

Going to call into the garage on the way home this evening,

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I've been told by a DB driver that they all have 360 camera coverage now, so there is no way they don't have their own footage of the incident.

Is it worth making a complaint to the Gardai also ? IMO professional drivers need to be held to a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I have it on camera and the GPS from my edge with the exact time but when he passed me the dirt was to hard to make out.

EDIT: I just went back though and had a look at my footage and at the previous lights I catch his plates. Not too dirty but his plates are black and the alphanumeric ID is white, hence it was harder to see in motion.

Going to call into the garage on the way home this evening,

I don't use the N11 anymore unless it is at a time in the day when it is not busy. The last time I did one of the private coaches basically side swiped me on the way up the overpass to UCD. He stopped at the lights. I went in front of the bus and, making sure he saw me, took out my phone and took a few photos. I did bring them to the Gardaí but no real satisfaction there. That said, I think the act of taking the pictures would have given the driver something to think about even if I did nothing.

fiacha wrote: »
    I've been told by a DB driver that they all have 360 camera coverage now, so there is no way they don't have their own footage of the incident.
    The last time a bus tried to teach me a lesson, I actually had the opportunity to talk to the driver afterwards, who admitted what he had done, that he had done it on purpose, and that I should not have been where I was (on the left hand side of a fairly empty three lane dual carriageway). I presented the video to the Gardai, the bus had the video of the event, confirmed it was there but oddly enough, once they had time to review it, it was irrecoverable. The gardai have not attempted contact with me since, I followed up twice with good time between both.

Having talked to a guy I know in DB/BE (driver has switched between the two), its very much closed doors, hopefully that's changing. BE do not discuss the results of allegations with anyone, other than to let you know its been resolved (at worst nothing happens, at best, the driver is moved to a different route so the party that complained won't see them again). The rare exception being an incident large enough to make headlines, then something might happen.

The odd thing is, I rarely watch my helmet cam videos, better things to be doing. I watched this one through. The worst I had done was clipped in before a light changed, didn't cross the line, just preparing. Every other DB driver that passed me on the N11 (four in total before this) were able to overtake without slowing and give me over 2 metres, often three. I was not holding anyone up.

Personally, what I want is to sit in a room with the driver, explain to him both why I was in the bus lane, what the legalities are (not that this makes an iota of difference, I certainly am not allowed to attempt manslaughter if a pedestrian runs out in front of me, not sure why a minority of bus drivers think the perceived slights they get from me give them the right to become Judge Dredd), show him pics of my family, might even bring them in to get the driver to explain why they think their actions are justifiable to my children.

• Advertisement

Well I couldn't get in to the garage so I have sent an e-mail to DB (they don't have a complaints section, just a comments or an info e-mail). I wait with baited breath for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

..when a DB starts an overtake with about 50cm to spare and then pulls in on me...

I actually interpreted that as 'Dublin Bike', thought you must be getting slow! :D

Also, I encountered a helmetcam-wearing commuter earlier in the week for (I think) the first time. He graciously lived up to the stereotype of being a complete and utter dick with no regard for anyone else's safety (namely mine), and very little for his own it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

On my commute home recently I observed a cyclist, in kit, being a bit "casual" about traffic lights. On the scale of ignorant and obnoxious cycling behaviour he was what might be called in the trade, a level 5 - depressingly enough, a level 5 barely causes me to raise an eyebrow these days, it takes a level 7 to get my blood going.

Anyway, the bus ahead of him had its left indicator on coming up to a bus stop. The bus was at least 10 metres ahead of the cyclist, who was moving slowly, so the driver was perfectly within his rights to pull in to stop, which he did. As he did so, the cyclist sped up and veered to the left of the bus. The bus stopped, the cyclist rode slowly into the back of it and almost toppled over.

I was conflicted, I wasn't sure whether to laugh or whether to offer the cyclist some assistance in getting about 'cos they were clearly struggling with the basic concept of collision avoidance.

buffalo wrote: »
    I actually interpreted that as 'Dublin Bike', thought you must be getting slow! :D

Also, I encountered a helmetcam-wearing commuter earlier in the week for (I think) the first time. He graciously lived up to the stereotype of being a complete and utter dick with no regard for anyone else's safety (namely mine), and very little for his own it seemed.

Go pro on the head, super expensive helmet, hi vis rucksack cover (this alone is great as it tells me to stay the hell away from the owner for safety, seen one on a boardsie the other day, was not sure what to do), 3 lights on the front, 3 on the back.

All this precaution only to inevitably sail through every red light without even looking left or right, swerve in front of other cyclists, buses and taxis without even a shoulder check (called a life saver for a reason).

I presume it is similar to Doozeries experience of putting a helmet on a child, risk compensation, understanding and behaviour, is obviously crazy in these individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Well I couldn't get in to the garage so I have sent an e-mail to DB (they don't have a complaints section, just a comments or an info e-mail). I wait with baited breath for a reply.

There's another way to play it if your complaint is ignored - use social media. DB seem keen to be contacted that way: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-and-Social-Media-/

I'll bet you get a response that way :)

There's another way to play it if your complaint is ignored - use social media. DB seem keen to be contacted that way: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-and-Social-Media-/

I'll bet you get a response that way :)

Time to pick a fight with Network Noel

Dear Orwell cyclists on the Blue trek, light blue backpack, yellow drink bottle, on Angelsea road this morning. I am not sure was it an accident that knocked all sense of not only safety and common sens out of your mind, but it would appear that the lack of manners must have been trained in over time as no one is that stupid or ignorant of other road users without practice.

Coming down Beaver Row, I was overtaking traffic and slowed to pull in as traffic was approaching, whereby the aforementioned almost took myself and himself out while he was half wheeling. He then shouted at me to learn how to cycle, yes you, the man who was started half wheeling while i was mid overtake and could not even follow my indications. Then proceeded to overtake a car mid 3 point turn.

Further up the way on Angelsea Road, you managed to not only skim me as I decided again that overtaking into oncoming traffic was stupid, you then swerved out into overtaking traffic without even looking over your shoulder, twice another cyclists (who had given you at least the full lane had to slam on the brakes as you swerved wildly). He probably should not have overtaken you though as you ploughed through the red at the end of the road to escape whatever terrible threat was chasing you.

Then after nearly taking out a lady on a hybrid (why you were skimming her I do not know), you then tried to latch onto every cyclist who overtook you. I decided when overtaking to hammer it past just to give space from such a thundering buffoon. Luckily the taxi at the petrol station on Merrion road stopped as you swerved under him on the left after being on his right while he indicated left.

Please go out on some of the Orwell group spins, maybe just pick up Cyclecraft and have a read through it, more importantly, look in the mirror, and slap yourself until, by some fluke, manners gets beat into you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...Beaver Row...

Snicker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'd settle for them at least not wearing the Orwell jersey while doing all that. I know it won't help anybody else but it'd be less embarrassing for the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Snicker

I was waiting for the next confrontation to be on Lad Lane... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Coming onto O'Connell St from Cathal Brugha St and I'm waiting at a red light.
    Light goes green and I go to enter O'Connell St.
    A bus driver was doing a U-Turn and broke the red light to go back down O'Connell St and block the way.
    He compounded it by having to reverse mid U-turn and then not being able to find reverse.

I politely informed him that he should learn to drive.
    His reply was to tell me to go and have sex with myself.

quozl wrote: »
    I'd settle for them at least not wearing the Orwell jersey while doing all that. I know it won't help anybody else but it'd be less embarrassing for the club!
    It was just the shorts, so embarrassment might not be so bad.
    mathie wrote: »
    At least he used parliamentary language.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Great excuses from a man who swerved at me around the back of the Custom House this morning. He went from "I didn't see you" to "another cyclist came out of nowhere" to "yiz are holding us all up" (while he sat behind two other cars at a red light).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

mathie wrote: »
    Coming onto O'Connell St from Cathal Brugha St and I'm waiting at a red light.
    Light goes green and I go to enter O'Connell St.
    A bus driver was doing a U-Turn and broke the red light to go back down O'Connell St and block the way.
    He compounded it by having to reverse mid U-turn and then not being able to find reverse.

I politely informed him that he should learn to drive.

..I took his advice and now I have a court date for public indecency :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

A few erudite observations on the grand canal cycle track.

1. Lane system, what's a lane system?
    2. Sure I run/jog/shuffle/walk/suitcase-drag just as fast as a bike anyway.
    3. There is no such thing as a dangerous overtake (it's especially fine to do a wobbly overtake on a sharp bend right where peds are about to merge with you next to a high stone wall....even safer again when the anti road rash carpet of wet leaves are in place).
    4. What's breaking distance?
    5. Like OMG I already passed you like twice while you were stopped at lights why don't you accept my victory loike?
    6. There's no such thing as taking too long to overtake.
    7. There's a world to my left?

5. Like OMG I already passed you like twice while you were stopped at lights why don't you accept my victory loike?

There are lights? Someone should put up signs :pac:

Every morning, cars parked on the ped crossing, some cycling Douche cuts up a mother and child, some pedestrian jump across the path when the most cyclists are passing and a Dad with a Pram will push it out in front of traffic and then look at the crossing traffic with utter indignation as they come to a stand still, not to forget the motorists with the canal who decide red lights are more akin to yield signs than red lights, motorbikes especially.

Any stereotypes for canal commuting missed?

Apparently, I am a VERY VERY angry man. I will admit, my response to nearly getting hit by a car this morning was far from dignified. I will also admit that I am not the calmest person in the world but I have learned with the exception of an adrenaline rush to walk away and take a deep breath, and then just leave.

I suppose what got my goat was the fact that me being angry in response to a car driving onto a main road from a side road, without slowing, while on the phone, and without even glancing to the right, is still a palatable excuse for bad driving.

I did actually apologise, by the time I was talking to him, my voice was at a normal conversational level. I said, sorry, you scared the **** out of me, hence why I shouted, I thought I was going to get sidelined by your car. It would be nice if you acknowledged that you made a mistake though, being on your phone and not looking right, at all. His passenger then popped around to say that she was nearly hit by a cyclist, several times while out walking. I told her it wasn't me to which she looked confused and then proceeded to tell me that we were dangerous and should not be on the roads. I pointed out, again, that he came onto a main street without slowing while on the phone. To which he then said, "Admit it, you engineered that situation" ?!?!?
    "You were in the middle of the road". I told him, as he now knew, I was turning right, hence my road position.

"You speed up to my window to shout at me", I pointed out that he was in a Carrera and I was on a bicycle, the only way to engineer it was if you drove out in front of me. He then pointed out it was not a Carrera. He was in of course right, it was a Caymen, apologies.

"We will agree to disagree", I decided it was time to go, as did he.

Like I said, my initial response was far from dignified, hands up, I admitted it to the guy at the scene, his reaction afterwards was just confusing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

At least you didn't call it a c0ckster sorry I meant Boxster.

There really is a small percentage of drivers who have no idea what right of way means even with a car bearing down on them and drive around oblivious to the close misses they cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Apparently, I am a VERY VERY angry man. I will admit, my response to nearly getting hit by a car this morning was far from dignified.

Did you report him?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Did you report him?

Not sure what the point is, he will claim that I either set him up (I tried to get hit by the car, not that I was in the correct position for turning right) or was unfairly aggressive (I did shout, instinct, not sure I could do much else). The only thing in my favour is that I apologised to him. He is a prat, the Gardai can't do anything and he won't listen. His passenger and himself made it fairly clear that all cyclists are the same person, and that my reaction is uncalled for. He said he was nowhere near me, I stopped right at his window within 10 cm, hate to see what would have happened if I was actually anywhere near the speed limit or didn't cop what he was about to do.

Advertisement