Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alek wrote: »
    So, without a directly aimed law, is there nothing a Garda can do if they see somebody risking a child's life this way?

From barnardos.ie
    Criminal Justice Act, 2006 [Section 176] Reckless Endangerment Section 176, sub section (2) of the 2006 Criminal Justice Act created an offence of ‘reckless endangerment of children’. This places a requirement on a person with authority or control over a child or over an abuser not to intentionally or recklessly endanger the child by leaving or placing them in a situation of substantial risk of serious harm or sexual abuse. It states that they have committed an offence if they have failed to take reasonable steps to protect a child that they know may be in a risk situation.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0026/sec0176.html
    A person, having authority or control over a child or abuser, who intentionally or recklessly endangers a child by—

(a) causing or permitting any child to be placed or left in a situation which creates a substantial risk to the child of being a victim of serious harm or sexual abuse, or

(b) failing to take reasonable steps to protect a child from such a risk while knowing that the child is in such a situation,

is guilty of an offence.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Is crossing the street with a child in your arms or sitting on a vehicle to be treated in the manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I understand where you coming from, but to keep the proportion it would be like crossing the motorway with a child in your arms.

I have nothing against carrying children on the top tube, just not with this speed and in busy traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To be fair to the cyclist he gave a lifesaver over his shoulder twice, he had made sure it was clear from the video.

I understand where you coming from, but to keep the proportion it would be like crossing the motorway with a child in your arms.

I have nothing against carrying children on the top tube, just not with this speed and in busy traffic.

That's not keeping it in proportion. He was on an r road, right? How is crossing a motorway on foot the same?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't really see a problem with it. Guy should have signalled when changing lanes but, since there was no traffic behind him, it wasn't that serious a mistake.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I don't really see a problem with it. Guy should have signalled when changing lanes but, since there was no traffic behind him, it wasn't that serious a mistake.

It's less his manoeuvres and more that there's a young kid in a pretty unstable (at those speeds should you hit a pothole etc.) position..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The guy is a legend - wish my dad carried me like that. It may have prevented the ankle that I broke while sitting in a child seat and getting my ankle caught in the chain!
    This happened when I was two and I found out aged 16 when my rugby club sent me for X-rays after I kept collapsing on my ankle. The doctor said the break never really healed - what break says I. The break you had on your mothers bike aged two says my dad.
    Safest way to carry a kid on the bike is obviously to give them a crosser.

The most dubious thing thank saw in that video upload was Aleks dubious half wheeling in the opening clips.

C'mon, guys, seriously. Would you carry your most precious 3 year old person sitting on a slim tube, holding to the handlebars by their own strength and not secured in any way, and bomb down a pothole-ridden street 40 kilometres per hour? As colm18 says, one big bump and the kid is on the ground, under my bike's or some car's wheels.

C'mon, guys, seriously. Would you carry your most precious 3 year old person sitting on a slim tube, holding to the handlebars by their own strength and not secured in any way, and bomb down a pothole-ridden street 40 kilometres per hour? As colm18 says, one big bump and the kid is on the ground, under my bike's or some car's wheels.

How do you know that was his most precious child? It might only be his second or third most precious.

• Advertisement

Also, have you ever let your child, if you have any, play in a park or playground? Do you know the risks associated with weils disease? Rats piss all over the place and kids put hands into their mouths all the time. That's pretty reckless of an adult to allow that, isn't it?

How do you know that was his most precious child? It might only be his second or third most precious.
    :D
    Also, have you ever let your child, if you have any, play in a park or playground? Do you know the risks associated with weils disease?

I do have one, and the second one coming. When I was a kid we were allowed to do **** quite scary by todays standards, and I am pretty sure I will allow my sons a bit more than whats generally accepted. I am aware of the weils disease, I also know enough about Lyme disease but it does not stop me from walking in the high grass.

Yet still what I saw today raised my hair a bit. There is no antibiotic for a traumatic head injury.

I guess our personal risk assessment is quite different.

I don't do that speed but it's quite possible I can't.

I never put my son's helmet on though when he is in the bike seat, I am Satan according to some.

Personally I wouldn't go that fast with my own child but the guy checked around him, and other than the speed he done nothing I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Kids that age bounce, don't they?

The real question is, did both of you manage to stop in time for that red? :pac:

They did.

I didn't :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

They did.

I didn't :pac:

So you broke a red light?
    What an absolute toolkit. I don't know where to start.

I was thinking about reporting this to the Garda, but then I don't think they would find him...

And so on...

So you broke a red light?

Yes, I admit it. Entered at amber, changed to red when I was already in the middle. Isn't amber "stop unless it is unsafe to"?

Well my run of utter pleasantness for the new year was bound to end at some point. I thought it would be last night on the gridlocked N11 but alas no it was this morning as I left for work late due to illness.

I got skimmed by a DB on the N11 in quiet traffic. While annoyed I wasn't overly annoyed. I spun up beside the driver and in a polite, manner of fact way, said, "not having a go or starting an argument, just to say that you scared the sh1t out of me back there, passed way to close", to which after a moment he replied "oh, your the guy in the bus lane, why wouldn't you use the cycle lane",
    Me: "Its a terrible cycle lane"
    Driver: "Its a great cycle lane"
    Me: " When you passed me there were 2 pedestrians in it, 3 cyclists who I was overtaking, a load of sh*t, dirt and glass, as well as ridges and dips that could throw me off balance into one of the pedestrians that are only a foot and a half away"
    Driver: "Really?!? Looks good to me"
    Me: " Believe me, if it was good or safe I would use it, but i am on way to work, I can't afford to have a puncture every day due to all the rubbish in the cycle lane, besides, whether I was right or wrong, you still passed too close, if I had swerved out due to a pothole I would be under your wheels"
    Driver: " I seen you swerve out before so I thought I had given you just enough space and I didn't see anymore potholes coming up"
    Me: "I could touch the side of your bus"
    Driver "Sorry, I was sure I gave you enough space, do they not sweep the bike lane"
    Me: "Alas no, they sweep stuff into it but the only time its cleaned is when the wind blows it clear, that along with the people throwing bottles on it for the craic on the way home at night"
    Driver: " You understand how frustrating it is when we see a bicycle lane and it appears that you are blocking it intentionally though"
    Me: " I do, and its not my intention, but there was an empty lane of traffic beside you, its not like I was impeding your progress"
    Driver: "Fair enough, wasn't me intention to be that close but its possible I was too close, I will look out for you in future"

All nice and pleasant, the rest of you are shafted but at least he will look out for me, although in hindsight, it sounds more threatening than he intended it too.

Yes, I admit it. Entered at amber, changed to red when I was already in the middle. Isn't amber "stop unless it is unsafe to"?

I wouldn't mind seeing the video evidence. :D

Lets stick to the forum rules of attacking the post not the poster.

• Advertisement

The Brass Neck award of the morning - the guy who drove 500m in the bus lane along the Clontarf Road from the top of Alfie Byrne Road to the junction of the Malahide Road, where he then cut across two lanes of traffic to turn right onto the Malahide Road.

And trending bad habits - making a new lane on the inside of the actual lane. I was cycling in the direction of this road (away from the photo): https://goo.gl/maps/l1ffh when I went to manoeuvre around a parked car. Only it wasn't parked, and then the driver wouldn't even let me filter. Seen it happen a few places over the last couple of weeks, repeatedly on East Wall Road on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I believe a new simplified ROTR has been brought into effect.

Rule 1: Do whatever the f**k you want.

Rule 2: Be arrogant as f**k about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

buffalo wrote: »
    The Brass Neck award of the morning - the guy who drove 500m in the bus lane along the Clontarf Road from the top of Alfie Byrne Road to the junction of the Malahide Road, where he then cut across two lanes of traffic to turn right onto the Malahide Road.

And trending bad habits - making a new lane on the inside of the actual lane. I was cycling in the direction of this road (away from the photo): https://goo.gl/maps/l1ffh when I went to manoeuvre around a parked car. Only it wasn't parked, and then the driver wouldn't even let me filter. Seen it happen a few places over the last couple of weeks, repeatedly on East Wall Road on the way home.

What does this mean?

What does this mean?

I presume that the car had decided to move up the inside of the single lane of traffic, in doing so blocking any filtering traffic such as a bicycle by squeezing by in a lane that does not exist. Bicycles are allowed filter by slower moving traffic (it's quite difficult to do it to faster moving traffic :pac: ) whereas this car in an attempt to jump the queue and be a d*ck had also blocked of traffic that was allowed to be there.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume that the car had decided to move up the inside of the single lane of traffic, in doing so blocking any filtering traffic such as a bicycle by squeezing by in a lane that does not exist. Bicycles are allowed filter by slower moving traffic (it's quite difficult to do it to faster moving traffic :pac: ) whereas this car in an attempt to jump the queue and be a d*ck had also blocked of traffic that was allowed to be there.

Thanks for the explanation!

Saw a guy this morning with bike road rage as a result of something that must happen all the time to him/everyone.

I was cycling behind him so saw it close up. Cycling through Dartry from Highfield Rd towards Milltow. Traffic heavy. Single lane traffic outside the Trinity residents all the way to the next set of lights. Green lights, but a car that was sationery in traffic this side of lights had gone pretty close to curb, rather than staying in middle of a very wide lane.

The result was he blocked cyclists going by on the inside of him. So the guy on the bike hits out at the car with fist as he pulls alongside while hooshing along on left foot, and turns around to driver as he mounts kerb to shout abuse at the driver. Cycles on the path for a few metres and off he goes.

If he's getting this upset at something like that I imagine he's not enjoying his commutes too often, this kind of thing is always happening.

Not drawing any parallels to the above post, obviously.

Today was the first day that i was going to collect Jr Lusk_Doyle from the creche and I was really looking forward to the occasion. It's only a short journey (approx 1km) but still, it would be the first time for this daddy to go for a spin with his young son. After a nice day off, which had breakfast in Avoca in Malahide and was generally quite relaxing, this was to finish it off for me.

To the complete b o l l o x of a motorcycle rider who ruined my mood right outside the entrance to the creche - FCUK YOU and stop riding your motorbike so dangerously and then preaching (shouting and not listening to another point of view) at other road users.

I was cycling along the road approaching the creche entrance just maybe two hundred meters after the Remount roundabout on the Rush/Lusk road. Checking over my shoulder several seconds after I came around a bend in the road I saw a car coming up and let it past. I then put my arm out to signal my intention to turn right into the creche and turned to check over my shoulder again to be sure the way was clear. The bike moved a small bit as a natural reaction to turning my head (note that it was the first time that I had cycled the bike with the child seat on it). As I did this check I saw a motorbike come flying up with the clear intention of overtaking me despite the fact that I had my arm out and there was traffic approaching from the opposite direction. He had to have been bating it around that blind bend (I have seen so, so many people doing that at this exact place).

Fast forward what can only have been seconds and he had stopped on the other side of the road in the middle of the other lane and decided that he was going to educate (read shout and abuse) me about:

1. How he could have killed me,
    2. How he had saved my life,
    3. How I had endangered my child's life (no child was present at the time),
    4. How I didn't use my ears (because I obviously didn't hear him coming),
    5. How I was supposed to look first, then signal and then move.

There was more that he said but when I realised that he was not for listening and simply wanted to shout at me and, from the look on his face, fight me if I was interested in having a bash, I gave up trying to explain my position and told him to f off and went in to pick up my son.

I was so angry and a little bit shaken, that I couldn't get on the bike until back on the Rathmore Road and on the off road cycle lane. Despite this experience, Lusk_Doyle Junior had a great time on the bike for the first time and his daddy made the best effort at forgetting what had happened just before this lovely experience.

AR$EHOLE.

Edit: When I raised the point about his speed he told me that it wasn't relevant! That was when I knew to use my breath and energy for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I was so angry and a little bit shaken, that I couldn't get on the bike until back on the Rathmore Road and on the off road cycle lane. Despite this experience, Lusk_Doyle Junior had a great time on the bike for the first time and his daddy made the best effort at forgetting what had happened just before this lovely experience.

Fair play for managing to shake off the anger and frustration. That's never easy when you've had to contend with blatantly outrageous behaviour and aggressive attitude. The biker was clearly an arsehole and was clearly happy to run with that roll as far as he could, you managed to avoid escalating matters by not letting him control the situation by manipulating you.

It's hard to take something positive out of such a situation, but he comes out of it looking like a petulant child, you come out of it as the rational and responsible one. Personally I find it is easy to forget that bigger picture while the anger lingers. So respect to you for not just getting through the immediate difficult situation but also letting yourself unwind enough to enjoy the time with your son. That's hard, the biker's choice of approaching situations with aggression is easy, which is a sad reflection on him.

Yesterday, again, I seen a car take a left turn on green and then stop on the red for the straight through traffic, this happens almost daily now, I let a call to wave them through, to which they rolled down her window and told me everyone can F off, that they had a red (a car behind had given a friendly beep, nothing aggressive). The cyclist beside me started laughing, I just hung my head over the handlebars.

Also this junction: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.336041,-6.242184,3a,75y,356.44h,91.72t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9sKQz3NLgoYmR2S8gQn2Jw!2e0

I go straight every morning continuing onto Percy Place (direction of the schoolhouse), almost daily now, a car will pull out in front of me, coming from Mount St. Crescent or turn across me coming the opposite direction on Percy Place, it is as if I hadn't the right of way or everyone has decided, statistically, he is turning left for the canal path, even though I am holding the lane. I have started indicating that I am going straight on, which I am not sure anyone can even see, but now I just have to let out a preemptive "Careful now" as I go through when I see a car from either road (none use indicators or yield to the yield sign (should be a stop regardless).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have the same thing coming out of my estate nearly every day

• Advertisement

Happens every morning in Terenure too, cars coming from tereneure road west or templogue turning left at the crossroads, you just have tI laugh. It causes mayhem at a very busy junction.

Advertisement