Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

several years ago I watched a woman driver pull her Dublin4 tractor sharply across the bus/cycle lane on the rock road to turn into willowpark to drop off her kids & proceeded to wipe out a girl on her daily spin to wherever, the driver of the jeep wanted to know who was going to pay for the damage to her motor caused by her own stupidity. Its amazing that even when she was in the wrong, she still wanted someone else to pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

stecleary wrote: »
    People pulling into cycle lanes to let their fat kids out of the car as close to school as possible .............that is all

But letting out fit kids is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But letting out fit kids is ok?

If that kid was carrying a school bag full of books and a bag with a hurl and helmet or other equipment for after school and the pulling into the bike lane was indicated instead of a sharp swinging motion to beat the bike it would be a little more forgivable. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

During my commute this morning I was “educated” on my apparent long-held ignorance regarding the rules of the road, literacy, personal responsibility, that two wrongs make a collective arse, and so on. I imagine many of us are similarly unfamiliar with the “way things really are” from the other side of a windscreen, I know that even as a driver I was entirely ignorant of these too, so for all the fellow ill-informed here are some basic truths:

* Cycling in the appropriate lane = “weaving all over the road” or “cycling in the middle of the fukkin road” depending on the motorist’s level of indignation. The level of indignation is inversely proportional to the distance to the line of stopped traffic ahead.

* Not cycling in the left-only lane if you are actually going straight ahead = outrageous. “Why don’t you cycle over there [in the left-only lane] like all the other cyclists?”. Those arrow markings on the road are awful complicated you know, sure who knows what they’re supposed to mean.

* Maneouvering your front car wing to within a foot of the rear wheel of a bicycle in order to intimidate the cyclist into swerving in front of traffic in the (left-only) lane to the left, and then leaning across your passenger and giving the cyclist the finger as you tear past = standard overtake procedure, you got a problem with that wha’?!

* Driving in a reckless manner which risks running over a cyclist = “Why are you cycling in such a way that you’ll get yourself run over?”

* Not wearing a helmet = just *asking* to be run over, and it’ll be entirely your own fault. And, it’s the poor motorist that’ll be the victim you know.

* Driver + passenger applying the same lack of logic, and general aggression = “We’re right, the entire world is wrong, fukkoff!”

Well, I’m glad that’s all cleared up. Let that be a lesson to me.

In other news, that “N” sign on a car, apparently it means “Not obliged to follow any rules of the road, or social norms even”. Some people might suggest that it sometimes means “kNobs inside”, but I couldn’t possibly comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If that kid was carrying a school bag full of books and a bag with a hurl and helmet or other equipment for after school and the pulling into the bike lane was indicated instead of a sharp swinging motion to beat the bike it would be a little more forgivable. :cool:

My point being that it was the swinging in nature of the vehicle rather than the fitness status of the child that was the issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I remember those days and I had to walk to school. Kids are mollycoddled these days.

ehh, they dont play hurling in willowpark!

doozerie wrote: »
    During my commute this morning I was “educated” on my apparent long-held ignorance regarding the rules of the road, literacy, personal responsibility, that two wrongs make a collective arse, and so on. I imagine many of us are similarly unfamiliar with the “way things really are” from the other side of a windscreen, I know that even as a driver I was entirely ignorant of these too, so for all the fellow ill-informed here are some basic truths:

* Cycling in the appropriate lane = “weaving all over the road” or “cycling in the middle of the fukkin road” depending on the motorist’s level of indignation. The level of indignation is inversely proportional to the distance to the line of stopped traffic ahead.

* Not cycling in the left-only lane if you are actually going straight ahead = outrageous. “Why don’t you cycle over there [in the left-only lane] like all the other cyclists?”. Those arrow markings on the road are awful complicated you know, sure who knows what they’re supposed to mean.

* Maneouvering your front car wing to within a foot of the rear wheel of a bicycle in order to intimidate the cyclist into swerving in front of traffic in the (left-only) lane to the left, and then leaning across your passenger and giving the cyclist the finger as you tear past = standard overtake procedure, you got a problem with that wha’?!

* Driving in a reckless manner which risks running over a cyclist = “Why are you cycling in such a way that you’ll get yourself run over?”

* Not wearing a helmet = just *asking* to be run over, and it’ll be entirely your own fault. And, it’s the poor motorist that’ll be the victim you know.

* Driver + passenger applying the same lack of logic, and general aggression = “We’re right, the entire world is wrong, fukkoff!”

Well, I’m glad that’s all cleared up. Let that be a lesson to me.

In other news, that “N” sign on a car, apparently it means “Not obliged to follow any rules of the road, or social norms even”. Some people might suggest that it sometimes means “kNobs inside”, but I couldn’t possibly comment.
    i am soooo looking forward to get back commuting to work in the next couple of weeks, what are the chances I'll meet the kNobs that educated you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

During my commute this morning I was “educated” on my apparent long-held ignorance regarding the rules of the road

I got a bit that yesterday, as in the passenger of a silver micra leaning out the window bellowing 'GERORFATHAFARKINGROAD' in my ear while overtaking me to occupy the lane I was planning on using while entering a roundabout. Heart warming to know other road users have your best interests in mind, particularly given the hail stones and gale winds at the time. Hope the poor chaps didn't catch a chill opening their window in such inclement conditions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

traprunner wrote: »
    I remember those days and I had to walk to school.

Ah but I bet you had shoes right? Posh git! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ah but I bet you had shoes right? Posh git! :D

Just one pair and they had to last until the new school year.

Now in my Father's Day there were 10 kids in two bedrooms that just about fitted a double bed. They slept top to tails. All of them had to walk to school too 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Now in my Father's Day there were 10 kids in two bedrooms that just about fitted a double bed. They slept top to tails. All of them had to walk to school too 😛

Two bedrooms? pah.... Luxury! We used to dream of "bedrooms". Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    i am soooo looking forward to get back commuting to work in the next couple of weeks, what are the chances I'll meet the kNobs that educated you?

Slim, I would hope. While the driving was aggressive, borderline reckless, and they were both quite vocal in the aftermath about why everyone and everything else but them was at fault, they were stuck immobile there in traffic for several minutes as I questioned their aggressive behaviour and tried to point out some of the glaring flaws in their “logic”.

Perhaps I’m being blindly optimistic, but my reading of their apparently increasing discomfort was that it was dawning on them that despite their all of their bluster they were in the wrong, and that there were a lot of witnesses to the blatantly dangerous driving. For one thing, when someone trots out the “And why aren’t you wearing a helmet?” question as if the absence of a helmet on my head obviates any basic rights I might feel entitled too, you know they’ve run out of any even vaguely rational arguments to justify their actions. And I’d hope that they recognise that too.

None of that stopped them from yelling one last attempt at something demeaning as they drove off, mind you, a clear display of immaturity and childishness that’s hopefully making their ears burn still. But they inevitably got caught in traffic again 50 metres later, which is kind of hilarious really, and I’m hoping that seeing the target of their road rage cycle past them and off into the distance without any altercations with any other drivers reminded them they stood out like sore (and angry) thumbs amongst motorists this morning. Maybe that’ll influence their attitude and behaviour for the better in the future, the power of public embarrassment is huge for many people.

Perhaps I’m being blindly optimistic...

...or playing chess with a pigeon even?

arguing-with-idiots-is-like-playing-chess-with-a-pigeon.jpg

smacl wrote: »
    ...or playing chess with a pigeon even?

Ha! It certainly feels like that when dealing with some people.

On that general point, while I think there is a lot of sense in the point of view that arguing with such road users is just an exercise in self-harm, I’m more swayed by the prospect that it may actually make a difference in the long run.

It’s easy for anyone, me included, to do something stupid, dangerous even, and go away telling yourself that it was somehow fine. But if someone calls you to account then maybe you’ll be encouraged to acknowledge to yourself that you did something wrong (or just made a genuine mistake maybe) and you’ll be more determined not to do that same thing again next time.

Some people will consider such optimism as delusional, but that’s fine, each to their own. Some people will also consider engaging with such (sometimes aggressive) culprits as suicidal, I agree that there are risks involved but at heart I’m optimistic enough to believe that the number of real sociopaths is actually very small and the vast majority of people are quite normal but just prone to mistakes or letting their emotions get the better of them at times. We all make mistakes, we can only learn from them when we recognise them or have them pointed out to us.

When I engage with such people I’m trying to convey to them what it’s like to be on the receiving end of their behaviour, they may learn from it or it may just be more fuel to their fire. What has taken me by surprise more than once is the level to which some people are, or choose to be, oblivious to the consequences of their actions. Even if they themselves don’t learn anything from me taking issue with them, I sometimes come away myself with a better understanding of how easy it is to be a complete arse, hopefully it makes me less prone to letting myself be one too.

…so it helps me grow as a person blah, blah. …it makes the world a better place blah, blah. All very noble/stupid (delete as appropriate) and all, but as much as anything else it gives me the opportunity to voice my native accent, it just comes out naturally at times of stress, and can there be anything, ANYTHING, more pleasing to the ear than the sound of Cork worming its way into your head on any given day? Really like. I’m converting Dublin, one langer at a time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Now in my Father's Day there were 10 kids in two bedrooms that just about fitted a double bed. They slept top to tails. All of them had to walk to school too ��

10 Kids! No telly in them days either! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

The construction industry was part of an outright conspiracy to make my commute unpleasant this morning. I decided to cycle the Lower Kimmage Road route to work, only to find they're doing a lot of concrete pumping at the Mount Argus building site today. There were 6 concrete lorries waiting to go into the site, lined up as far back as the entrance to the church, and not a single worker out directing traffic despite the fact that the lorries were all on a bend and there wasn't room for traffic to pass in both directions at the same time.

Got past that, with only minor arm-tingling nerves when I thought a concrete lorry was about to pull out in front of me, and had a clear run as far as the canal where I just missed the lights. Walked the junction (it can be a nasty one to get caught at if turning right), but decided to change my route when I saw a ginormous flatbed lorry carrying a huge load of structural steel heading eastbound along the canal, where traffic was backed up but moving slowly. I'm not undertaking that, I decided, so went along the north side of the canal instead. Back on the bike and moving, when a driver in a little black Hyundai looks straight at me and decides she's pulling out from Longwood Avenue in front of me because hey, bicycles can't be moving quickly can they? Except that actually I was, and was quite miffed at having to brake. Did a disappointed head-shake at her, but I doubt she was checking her rear-view mirrors anyway.

Camden Street, when I got there, was a mess of more-than-usually eegity deliveries bringing that down to one lane in places, with a cyclist behind me staying right at my back wheel, meaning I didn't slow or stop to let a jay-walking pedestrian across the bicycle lane at Wexford Street traffic - normally I would, but I was painfully sure said cyclist would run into the back of me. Muttered a "Thanks, sorry" at him, because at least he was paying attention.

The one, possibly only, really good bit about the recession - low traffic volumes and almost no construction traffic - is definitely over round my way.

I’ve learned a lot in the last week, the lessons included:

* Only self-entitled prats have rights. If a cyclist pulls out of a side road right in front of you, at speed and without even looking, and you end up having to swerve out to avoid colliding with them, you may not yell a warning at them. You certainly may not call them a dick when they completely ignore your warning. You are the dick and you should “get over yourself” because, much like the people who stand in open public doorways or park themselves in the middle of junctions as the lights change against them, the world is obliged to bend itself to *their* will.

* We have failed as parent. My daughter told me that Jesus is her favourite person in the world. In fairness to her she immediately followed that statement by saying that Satan is also one of her favourites (because “he is a cat”, apparently). It was a good attempt at redeeming herself but seems wrong somehow. Apparently Jesus is also “risen”. Like bread. I blame the educational system.

* You never escape institutionalisation. I was late dropping my daughter off at an evening activity at her school. The school door was locked so I had to ring the buzzer and knock on a few windows in the hope of getting someone’s attention. The school principal opened the door. I rarely see her as I’m rarely at the school during school hours. I’m even older than her for feck sake, but a voice in my head screamed “School principal! RUN FOR IT!”. I may have done my rabbit-in-headlights impression. Awkward.

* Turbo trainers are hoors. You may have a dedicated turbo trainer wheel that you’ve been using with no problems for 3 years. It may never have seen the road, especially as it has an actual turbo trainer tyre on it. None of this prevents the tube from getting punctured. And not in any kind of logical way either - not a lifted patch, not a perished tube, etc., but a pinhole in the side of the tube. My turbo trainer’s idea of a little joke, presumably. The hoor.

* Arseholes like rhetorical questions. So, a cyclist breaks a red light and causes you to have to brake to avoid colliding with them. You point at the lights and say “Red light!”, and they respond with “Do I look like I fukkin care?!” - much as it sounds like in invitation to tell them exactly how they look to you, it’s actually not and they are prone to getting upset at your honest and enthusiastic response. Next time don’t bother braking, suddenly they’ll “fukkin care!”.

* Wee is here, and wee is proud! When getting a health screening done in work there is absolutely no discrete way to carry your filled urine sample jar from the toilets back to the nurse. Every effort you make to shield the (transparent) jar from the view of co-workers just screams even louder “I’M CARRYING WEE! AND IT’S WARM!”. You may as well just attach it to a large gold chain around your neck and swagger through the office swinging it sploshingly from side to side, that’s probably far more subtle.

* We have failed as parent. My daughter told me that Jesus is her favourite person in the world. In fairness to her she immediately followed that statement by saying that Satan is also one of her favourites (because “he is a cat”, apparently). It was a good attempt at redeeming herself but seems wrong somehow. Apparently Jesus is also “risen”. Like bread. I blame the educational system.

My two girls went to an Educate Together primary, youngest is still in her final year. Eldest decided to go to a Catholic girls second level as that's where all her friends were going and was rather perplexed at the nonsense that surrounds religion. Not wanting to be left out, she briefly became a Buddhist for a few months, much to the horror of the staff, and then settled on vegetarianism being more taken with the dietary than spiritual aspects of her chosen religion. Youngest has declared she's not putting up with any of that nonsense, and much as she spurns the lycra has opted to get an Isla or Frog bike for here birthday such that she can cycle up to Stepaside 2nd level ET school. Probably a wise choice on balance, as I'm pretty sure if youngest came into direct contact with nuns they'd burn her on the spot as a heretic and/or witch.

My daughter made a spud person last Autumn. It had exotic limbs, eyes, a nose, and a smile that could best be described as quirky. Its gender was always in question, but generally speaking from my daughter's perspective everything is female because males smell.

In recent months though nature conspired to make it take on more of a male, er, appearance, and as the weeks went by that smile graduated from quirky to sinister to downright troubling, here he is from a few days ago:

383616.jpg

He, and he's definitely a he at this stage, had to go. Along with his glaringly obvious and traumatic medical ailment. So we pulled off his limbs, eyes, nose, and nightmare-inducing smile, and buried him in the garden. That's the last we'll see of him. ...unless he rises again. So to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Heading home this evening, about ten. See a bike upside down at the corner of the Shelbourne Hotel, a guy fiddling with it. In spite of my enormous technical inability, I stopped to see if he was ok.* The chain had come off, and he got it half way on the front chainring but was back peddling it so it kept coming off and jamming against the frame. So I got it on again and working. He looked up confused, and said: "Lots of people stop to help...But you are lady". All I could say was yes, yes I am a woman, then waved and headed on my way (I hadn't gotten off my bike. I also suspect he overestimated how many people 'lots' are). :rolleyes:

*I automatically stop and ask if stranded cyclists are alright, despite the fact that anything beyond a puncture or dropped chain is beyond my helping abilities :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

My daughter made a spud person last Autumn. It had exotic limbs, eyes, a nose, and a smile that could best be described as quirky. Its gender was always in question, but generally speaking from my daughter's perspective everything is female because males smell.

In recent months though nature conspired to make it take on more of a male, er, appearance, and as the weeks went by that smile graduated from quirky to sinister to downright troubling, here he is from a few days ago:

383616.jpg

He, and he's definitely a he at this stage, had to go. Along with his glaringly obvious and traumatic medical ailment. So we pulled off his limbs, eyes, nose, and nightmare-inducing smile, and buried him in the garden. That's the last we'll see of him. ...unless he rises again. So to speak.

I kind of like him/her :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

383616.jpg

bloody trannies.... they're everywhere :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So over the last week, almost every morning, a guy in a Green Cannondale cyles nearly at the same time as me. Several mornings he tailgates me on the way down the hill. Twice he has nearly hit me as I stopped at redlights, and he follows on through. He slowed one morning to let kids cross but was so focused on them he nearly hit a different pedestrian. I presumed that he was faster than me but I often catch him and then have to wait behind him, and then he gets away at the lights so he isn't impeding me too much.

I know who you are, stupid Strava flyby, first time I used it, your club would be ever so proud of your inability to follow even the basics of good manners or road rules.

I got clipped this morning again by a different guy with a gigantic bag covered in a hi vis cover, same again, never contemplated someone would stop at the lights.

His ill manners only rivalled by the guy on the Silver TREK road bike who at every lights, wormed through those already stopped, only for myself and another commuter to then have to wait behind him every time, only getting a break from him when he ran red lights.

I don't mind waiting behind oter road users, that is how traffic works, you accept that as a necessity of good manners and the nature of it all but FFS, if someone keeps overtaking you, weaseling like a serpent in front of them at a red light is not how you should carry on. Grow up, for one of these days I will snap, by a large fresh fillet of fish and clothesline you with it during our next encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

ON a completely different issue....I am going to BOYCOTT A CERTAIN RADIO-STATION. It is the one where x-politicians and x-rugby pundits prowl with their anti-cycling dogma.
    It does have the leading Sports talkshow, but its because of this that I am boycotting it:
    I have been tweeting them for some time to coax the improvement in pro-cycling coverage, given we have great athletes at the moment in prowling and a few upcoming ones. Well, it turns out one of our elite-world-level athletes did rather well yesterday. This great result eventually made it to the very very end of the long list of sports headlines on the sports show. But the time given to pro cycling was dominated and given to Sergio Henao and his biopass questionamark. Not that he had been found guilty, but there was a question. This mornings sports headlines had nothing on Dan Martin 3rd place at the FW yesterday.
    I am not naive to realise that cycling can't really compete with soccer, Rugby, GAA and Conor McGregor for selling column inches. But I do think that we should be proud of our elite athletes and acknowledge them when they succeed at the highest level in their sport, no matter what it is.
    So...this is what I will now remove the preset of 106.2 from my radio.

what if Dan Martin, cycled around Croke Park while scoring a hatrick of tries against the All Blacks and fighting in a UFC sanctioned bout and it was broadcast only on the same radio station, would you listen?

Bloggsie wrote: »
    what if Dan Martin, cycled around Croke Park while scoring a hatrick of tries against the All Blacks and fighting in a UFC sanctioned bout and it was broadcast only on the same radio station, would you listen?

I'm not sure that would make good radio.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think TREK guy is on boards, he was alot more mannerly this morning. He still ran reds but no snaking at the lights.

I did get skimmed by a guy with green handlebar tape coming down the Kilmacud road. FFS. It's been a bad week after several good ones. Maybe the sunlight attracts bad manners and rule breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

CramCycle wrote: »
    I did get skimmed by a guy with green handlebar tape coming down the Kilmacud road. FFS.
    Had to rush out and change the tape on my bars just now. Whew! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

MediaMan wrote: »
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I did get skimmed by a guy with green handlebar tape coming down the Kilmacud road. FFS.
    Had to rush out and change the tape on my bars just now. Whew! :)
    New bar tape.....You're lucky, I've to get a new bike!... and i really liked that trek as well :(

Advertisement