Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wooden shed & Bikes

• 28-09-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi

Can anyone tell me or has anyone any experience of keeping a motorbike in a wooden shed, would it be ok or would dampness be a problem? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

No experience of a wooden shed, thankfully I've a concrete shed. Keep your eye out in either Aldi or Lidl - every now and then they have dehumidifier crystal kits on offer. They do work and are commonly used in mobilehomes, campervans and.....sheds by taking the moisture out of the air

(I'm sure the local hardware shop also stocks them along with replacement crystal bags)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I had a barna shed for my Hornet when I had it. 8" x 10" I think. I got rockwool and put it between the joists on the walls and then nailed plywood panels onto them. Did the job just nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 monuworks

Thanks for the info lads, I suppose if it's well insulated, it should do the job, maybe just think of a better way to secure the door.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...is key to keeping motorcycles in decent shape. It mightn't be a bad idea to have an electric fire connected to a frost stat so that you can protect your machine from frost and moisture when the weather freezes.

I do not ride a motorbike and never have but I have seen them in action at very close quarters at high speed on the M50......they make my car look like a snail.....at 120kph.

You don't want ice, moisture or any of natures fouler uppers interfering with machine at those speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

One of the cheapest ways to insulate a Barna shed, and don't laugh!!.. Is to line it with election posters ~ the plastic honey combed type, and paint the ugly bastards faces out of course!.

Election posters are a very good and cheap way to insulate a Barna shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All we have to do is wait for an election now.....lmao.

In fairness they are quite thick and would work I suppose.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Still talkin about the sheets arent you..????,.............:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Have kept bike in wooden shed for several years - the current shed is lined with plastic (like bin bags).

Never had any problem with dampness, or freezing, even during the couple of bad winters we had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

be less condensation in a wooden shed than a steel shed with no insulation,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They'll be plenty up soon, we're having the children's referendum shortly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The honey combed center makes them great for insulting a barna shed, I know it sounds mad.. I had Mary Harney posters up in mine ~ to scare the thieves away :D

The honey combed center makes them great for insulting a barna shed, I know it sounds mad.. I had Mary Harney posters up in mine ~ to scare the thieves away :D

Would be better if you had her in person....they would be reformed criminals if they met her in a wooden shed at 4am I tells ya ;)

I had Mary Harney posters up in mine ~ :D

Jesus....how was there any room left in the shed .............:D

It was VERY DEEP...pmsl

It was VERY DEEP...pmsl

Scary thought.............:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

doolox wrote: »
    ...is key to keeping motorcycles in decent shape. It mightn't be a bad idea to have an electric fire connected to a frost stat so that you can protect your machine from frost and moisture when the weather freezes.

I do not ride a motorbike and never have but I have seen them in action at very close quarters at high speed on the M50......they make my car look like a snail.....at 120kph.

You don't want ice, moisture or any of natures fouler uppers interfering with machine at those speeds.

If I'd never driven or owned a car I wouldn't go on to the Motors forum and give out about how fast they drive and lecture them on the maintenance of their machines :rolleyes: so what is it about bikes that makes everyone a self-appointed expert??

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭raven41

If you are strapped for cash it is possible to keep the bike outdoors with a good waterproof cover and keep it in good nick. I have done so for the last 10 years and there is no corrosion anywhere on my 2 machines. The cover will keep the rain off but will not protect it from cold and damp.
    As long as the bike is washed regularly and treated with acf50, this should keep rust at bay. Also regularly attaching it up to a battery tender (especially in cold weather) is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Christ.
    Do NOT put an electric fire in a confined space with a vehicle. Petrol fumes and ignition source do not mix. Your tank is vented, and petrol vapours are MORE likely, in a warm environment.

Are you that keen to claim on your fire insurance ?

A timber shed is fine, insulated, and with a vent you can open / close is a good idea. Buy a solar battery charger, cover the bike even with an old sheet, and it will be fine.

Only issue I've seen with timber sheds is a poor base, and the floor was then strained by weight of the bike. A shed with a wide or double door would make it much easier to get it in & out.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Buy a plastic shed instead.

Will last a lifetime.

I have one,and its great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

paddy147 wrote: »
    Buy a plastic shed instead.

Will last a lifetime.

I have one,and its great.

Plastic shed? Pics please or I'm not a believer :D

scudster wrote: »
    Plastic shed? Pics please or I'm not a believer :D

Ketter 8 x 6 foot plastic shed.

Built in adjustable shelves,grippy non slip base floor,double doors and double windows too.

Goes up in 20 minutes and can be taken apart in a matter of 20 minutes to,so you can take it with you.:)

Can be had in smaller and bigger sizes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I have a shed made with 22mm T+G timber lined on the inside ceiling and walls with OSB and with foam insulation in between. Wired with lights an sockets. No heating. Gets cold in the winter, but not too cold (like my beer never freezes). Have had it about 6 years.

You'll have a nice dry reasonably warm shed with the tongue and groove, the thinner overlapping timber is gonna be draughty and colder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I put my GSX-R away last winter in my garden shed, which is not insulated. Had a lot of hassle getting it started when i took it out in March, also had water in the oil (milky looking), was told it was from condensation. Shed was put up new last Summer and the bike had a cover om it.

So for this winter i've ordered a Bikebubble. Should have it in 3 weeks or so.

So how much for the glorified tent then??.

Edit...265 quid sterling plus postage??

Thats fcuking crazy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Cheaper (in more ways than one) to just drive your bike all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I think it doesn't matter where you store your bike as long as you keep it well maintained. I mean, if you leave your bike lying up for 3 months even in the nicest of places, chances are your battery's still going to be knackered if you've just left it lying there. If you're worried about dampness, invest in a few emptyable dehumidifiers. They work wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So how much for the glorified tent then??.

Edit...265 quid sterling plus postage??

Thats fcuking crazy money.

Priced a bike lately? ...not much you'd need a cover for at £265......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Priced a bike lately? ...not much you'd need a cover for at £265......

Eh yes I have actually.

But some people like to sell something as if its the best invention ever.

Its a glorified tent with a small 12v motor....wow.

There is no way in hell it is worth the 265 pound sterling asking price.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Eh yes I have actually.

But some people like to sell something as if its the best invention ever.

Its a glorified tent with a small 12v motor....wow.

There is no way in hell it is worth the 265 pound sterling asking price.:rolleyes:

I'll let you know how well the 'glorified tent' works out after the winter then!

Cheaper (in more ways than one) to just drive your bike all year round.

I ride all year round, have 2 bikes, and like to keep the GSX-R in good nick. Don't want to risk dropping it once the cold weather sets in so it gets put away.

Advertisement