Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing economics alone outside school

• 28-09-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a 5th year student, and I'm taking up economics as an 8th subject, with the help of my dad ( I'm dropping to pass german for it, as my german in atrocious).
    Anyway, I'm just wondering if anybody has done it alone and got an A1, and/or has any advice for me?
    I'm pretty determined to succeed in it.
    I also just bought the book 'Positive economics'.
    Any help or advice is highly appreciated :D !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Im doing the exact same thing :P We can struggle together!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Haha, Awesome! How are you finding it? How much time do you put into it a week?

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Haha, Awesome! How are you finding it? How much time do you put into it a week?
    Im starting tomorrow and I was thinking cover main points of one chapter every week until I'm finished the course and then move on to the exam papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I started over Summer but didn't do much and i'm in 6th year.. Kinda have to do the whole course this year cause I haven't studied it much at all . . be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I did economics in school, not at home, but I definetly feel its one most people could quite easily do at home! I didn't find it overly difficult at all! The exam paper is very fair and quite straight forward, and you can predict questions handy enough!
    If you have a friend who does it in school, just send them in with any questions you have to as the teacher!

• Advertisement

anirishlad wrote: »
    Im starting tomorrow and I was thinking cover main points of one chapter every week until I'm finished the course and then move on to the exam papers.

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing too.
    Having had a look through the book, there seems to be a slight cross over with geography, Even though I've dropped it :P

alan1990 wrote: »
    I did economics in school, not at home, but I definetly feel its one most people could quite easily do at home! I didn't find it overly difficult at all! The exam paper is very fair and quite straight forward, and you can predict questions handy enough!
    If you have a friend who does it in school, just send them in with any questions you have to as the teacher!

Brilliant :) In my school, it's not offered, which is a pity, it was a subject I was really hoping to do within school. My dad has a degree in economics though, so he'll help me out with it, so it should be fine. Would it be possible to get an A1 from outside school would you say?

ray2012 wrote: »
    I started over Summer but didn't do much and i'm in 6th year.. Kinda have to do the whole course this year cause I haven't studied it much at all . . be grand!

Haha, Nice.
    How are you finding it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know it's not for a while, but make sure to tell your school Examinations Secretary in plenty of time if you want to sit the exam, especially if it is not already being sat in your school/centre.

spurious wrote: »
    I know it's not for a while, but make sure to tell your school Examinations Secretary in plenty of time if you want to sit the exam, especially if it is not already being sat in your school/centre.

Would telling them at the start of 6th year be early enough? How exactly does it work anyway if they dont do the exams in your school do they get 2 supervisors just for you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

I am also planning on taking up Economics outside of school so I don't have to count Irish or English! :P

Knowing me I'll never get started though... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

anirishlad wrote: »
    Would telling them at the start of 6th year be early enough? How exactly does it work anyway if they dont do the exams in your school do they get 2 supervisors just for you :P

I told my school I was doing it the day we sent off the form with the level you're doing each subject in, that was after Christmas in 6th year. So telling them at the start of 6th year should be fine, but telling them earlier couldn't hurt. They got one examiner just for me and it was in a classroom rather than the main hall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The start of sixth year would be plenty time. If it is already an exam in your centre it's not as important to tell them as it is if you will be the only candidate. It has to do with supervisors and the allocation of centres.

Advertisement