Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long (average) to get work in Calgary?

Options
  • 28-09-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I know trade workers like carpenters and welders get work in Alberta very quickly because of demand, but I'm wondering how long it takes for people to get more corporate work?

I'm a qualified engineer who now works in IT consultancy and I've been on the look out for anything I'm suitably qualified for in Calgary. The trouble is, I've been in Alberta almost a month now and applied for about 30 jobs (probably more actually) and not a sausage...nothing, not even an email. I've met up with recruitment agents who say there's nothing wrong with my resume and I'm well qualified.

I know Canada is much more focussed on networking, etc. but I'm wondering how do you actually go about that? And does it really make that much of a difference? Any info would be great!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Whats your residency status? are they over looking your application because your a temporary resident applying for a permanent position of employment? Its a lot to ask a company to take a risk on someone that might move on in the near future.

Its easier for trades cause its more come and go, employers can avoid direct employment by taking on people as sub contractors etc. Also they can take people in on trial periods with reduced pay so there's an insurance for the employer in case the applicant is lying about there skills.

Basically I wouldn't try and compare Blue and white collar at all. Hopefully someone here in the corporate world can help ya out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SMM11

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the reply. I'm on a one year IEC visa, but have been applying mostly for contract positions as I know its a bit of a long shot to apply for permanent positions. You're right that you can't really compare blue and white collar work as the contracts are completely different and insurance too.

It just appears that the recruitment process takes so much longer than at home and was hoping for some words of wisdom from someone who's been there and done that (and maybe has a recommendation of a way to do it differently). I keep seeing articles that Alberta are crying out for skilled workers (and recruitment agents say there are severe shortages too) so I'm a bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

It took me almost 7 weeks to get a job in IT in 2010.
    And yes HR departments are awful at getting back to you.
    I was still getting calls at christmas timw inviting me to interviews
    What area of IT are you in.
    http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng use this to suss out the demand for your field

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

also they really respect the closing date for jobs here. You'll very rarely hear anything until a few days after a closing date of a job.

It took me almost 7 weeks to get a job in IT in 2010.
    And yes HR departments are awful at getting back to you.
    I was still getting calls at christmas timw inviting me to interviews
    What area of IT are you in.
    http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng use this to suss out the demand for your field

Thanks againstthetide, I don't feel so bad now. I have experience as a business analyst so I was hoping for something along those lines. I had heard they're pretty slow at getting back in Vancouver and Toronto, but for some reason I thought Calgary would be a bit better.

• Advertisement

bstar wrote: »
    also they really respect the closing date for jobs here. You'll very rarely hear anything until a few days after a closing date of a job.

Ah ok, it also makes sense then that they post a job up for about 2 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

and its all about the cover letter aswell, really sell yourself no one plays anything down here you have to actually say yep i'm brilliant at that not go yeah its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

@ noelapm, just wondering if this trial work you speak of is extended to site technicians, architects or draughtsmen .I’m an architectural technologist with 10 years experience and am planning to go to workabroad expo @ the RDS next week to try and secure employment .I definitely wouldn’t mind working on trial and at reduced pay to reassure an employer .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hickeydermot

I got work after two days and I was highly unprepard. Just send out mas emails on kijji and you will find something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

archicraft wrote: »
    @ noelapm, just wondering if this trial work you speak of is extended to site technicians, architects or draughtsmen .I’m an architectural technologist with 10 years experience and am planning to go to workabroad expo @ the RDS next week to try and secure employment .I definitely wouldn’t mind working on trial and at reduced pay to reassure an employer .

Honestly have no idea m8. It seems to be the done thing in Vancouver with trades. Architects etc I have no idea, I rarely have reason to like them enough to have a chat :P

Might be an Idea for you to mention tho if you are going job hunting from home. If companies are recruiting abroad there likely going to offer you reduced wages. Maybe I'm wrong on that but either way. Might be a good way to get a better wage, although tough at first. If its Viable they should back pay you whats owed once you agree on a wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

just be prepared for it to take a few weeks also. for everyone on here who got work in 2 days ect one week.

there are 10 who took a month or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

Thanks for all replies, extremely helpful advice....was fairly green on this. Was @ workabroad expo on Saturday last, & there seems to be great opportunities in BC also, particularly in the north & Vancouver Island, which are experiencing an unprecedented construction boom. There is, at the moment, a recruitment initiative by the BC construction association to keep up with increasing labour shortages in the construction sector. The FSWBC (foreign skilled workers British Columbia) is a public private partnership
    which will review your submitted information and compare your skills and experience with the requests and requirements submitted by potential employer organizations. When a match is found, FSWBC will communicate with and support both the employee and employer to complete the necessary paperwork, including assistance with obtaining a work visa

P.S sorry about post delay

Advertisement