Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT ADOPT YOU OR YOU ADOPT CAT

• 28-09-2012 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

After being berated on a previous thread for letting my cat be an outdoor cat one poster accused me of not taking my neighbours into consideration regarding my cats.

Sitting here thinking about what was said, I realised that all my cats were in fact brought to me by current neighbours that had found them but did not or could not keep them themselves.

How did you obtain your cat - did you find them or did they find you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I got my cats from a lady on a farm who had 9 pregnant cats! I was refusing to repeat my leaving cert because I did well, but didnt get what I wanted. My mom bribed me with a kitten if I agreed to repeat it so I did and now I realise it was the best decision of my life because I am now in my final year of vet nursing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Got our first two from a fellow Boards poster. His daughter found them as kittens on the side of the road.
    The third arrived at the back door two years ago looking all scraggly and forlorn. My wife felt sorry for it and gave it some food. She moved in permanently several weeks later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Where I live neutering seems to be a foreign concept, so no need to ever go out looking for a cat - my 5 came to me in various states of sickness. Once you have cats people tend to try to dump more on you, have had 3 more kittens that luckily I managed to rehome. No doubt there are going to be more next year, I dread the Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Both of our cats just showed up one day. We looked out the kitchen window and there was a sick cat. He needed a lot of surgery over the course of the first year, but thankfully he's fine now, he's been with us for four years. If I ever found out who let him get into the state he was in when he found us, well lets just say I'd get creative with tools.

Our second chap arrived less than a year after the first guy, he was a feral kitten who made us work to gain his trust, these days he's a little fuss monster who loves to snuggle up with us.

Our third cat, well technically ours, is a black cat that we noticed was eating scraps from our food recycle bin in the garden a few times during the summer. Its no longer a recycle bin, we use it as a place to stash food for him/her. Its the only place we can put it where our other two can't eat it first. It's very thin and just comes for food then leaves, we're hoping it will move in before the weather turns bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

planetX wrote: »
    Where I live neutering seems to be a foreign concept, so no need to ever go out looking for a cat - my 5 came to me in various states of sickness. Once you have cats people tend to try to dump more on you, have had 3 more kittens that luckily I managed to rehome. No doubt there are going to be more next year, I dread the Spring.

Same here. When I first moved to this area I only had 1 cat, within a short period of time a neighbour came along with 2 kittens that their cat had. Unfortunately these 2 were already pregnant and one almost died giving birth - so instead of 2 I ended up with 8. I kept one and managed to rehome the rest. As far as I know this neighbour's cat was never neutered afterwards, so continued to have further kittens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

1 - Found by me.
    1 - Born inhouse.
    1 - Found me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

first cat arrived at back window scratching to get in, let her in and she had a litter of kittens days later and we had cats from the same family for over 20 years.

The last three came from <snip> - adult cats who needed re-homing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

My first two cats were found by me in a cardboard box under a hedge in May 2000. I saw something moving inside, looked into it and found two 10-days old kittens with their eyes still closed, male and female. I brought them home, otherwise they would be dead in a few hours. I bottle-fed them for a month or so and meanwhile I looked for somebody who could want them. When they opened up their eyes they saw me first, so I became their mother. They were already three months old when the first person showed up, but by then I was in love with them and decided to keep them both. At the age of 11 months one of the two, the male, was killed by a car. His sister is still here with me, she's 12.
    One year later I found a grown up she-cat in the place where I work. It was the 2nd of January 2002 and most likely she ran away from some other place because she was scared by the fireworks on New Year's Day. She still fears every loud noise. She's 11 now.
    The third cat I have now is an orange cat, a male, that arrived in my garden in June last year. He was outside the door on the day we came back from our holidays in Ireland, like he was waiting for us. He was starving and was not well. I fed him and cured him and he stayed with us since. I don't know his age, probably 6 or even 8.

In the last 10 years I have had or found other cats, at least 15, all of them were rehomed.

I'm also the carer of a group of cats where I work. The feline colony is registered at the mayor's office in my town, so that I can take advantage of all the privileges that registered colonies have here in Italy, like the protection that the law reserves to them and that the neutering of females is paid by the town council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

1) born on the sofa 8 yrs ago.
    2) person knocked on door with a tiny kitten last year.
    3) woke me up with miaowing a few weeks ago at 2am. A stray. So cute, never meant to get another cat, but this thing is an absolute dote. Here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Found stony kitten sleeping between my recycling and rubbish bins. Was very shy and would go away if I got to close. Looked very hungry, so I began leaving out food for her and gradually would move the plate closer to my hall door.

She is now 6 - 7 months old and is our new arrival to our house. We took her in around the end of June. To say she's the boss of my two dogs is an understatement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

1) In through the shelter - orphaned on a farm aged three days.
    2) In through the shelter - trapped and put in the surrender pen at the pound aged six months; feral. Came from a household where the householder fed the strays and created a colony.
    3 & 4) In through the shelter, mother surrendered when pregnant.
    5) Confiscated from a backyard breeder by the local ranger after breeder's 15 year old son reported his father for setting his dogs on the cats. Came in through the shelter and out to me with siblings and a foster mother. Failed foster - the others went to forever homes, he stayed with me.
    6) Surrendered to the pound by a backyard breeder who allowed her siamese queen to roam. Litter of tabby kittens ensued - followed them through the pound and into rescue, all the blue eyed kittens found homes. Took the green eyed lanky tabby girl before green dream day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Mo60 wrote: »
    After being berated on a previous thread for letting my cat be an outdoor cat one poster accused me of not taking my neighbours into consideration regarding my cats.

Sitting here thinking about what was said, I realised that all my cats were in fact brought to me by current neighbours that had found them but did not or could not keep them themselves.

How did you obtain your cat - did you find them or did they find you?

We adopted one from the DSPCA, and one from an online request.
    The other two showed up in the garden and adopted us.
    We only moved to this house 4 years ago, and nearly every year kittens showed up in the garden out of nowhere, we suspect people are dumping them in the nearby park or on the GAA ground. Since 4cats is about as much as we can handle, we had to rehome the last little cutie who wandered in the kitchen door.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My boyfriend is a builder and was on his way home from work in his truck. He stopped at a shop and could hear meowing so checked the engine where he found a kitten sitting on the 5th wheel! He'd been driving for 20 minutes and if she was sitting anywhere else she'd be gone. He brought her back to the house he was working on because they had lots of cats. She followed him around all the next day still covered in grease from the truck. He text me asking if he should bring her home of course i said yes and after a check up at the vets and lots of baths she had moved in! He'd never had a cat before and a year later he still can't get over how brilliant she is. She chases our dogs (60 and 30kg) around the house :) She went missing in april when we were on holidays and our dogs got really depressed. I never thought we'd have a cat but think she was meant for us :)

Advertisement