Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sennheiser 'Momentum'

• 28-09-2012 10:35pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Debating for a while now what set of headphones to buy next... reckon these might just get me to part with some cash - very nice design, be very keen to hear them when they hit Irish shores. Getting pretty good reviews in terms of sound quality, comfort, build quality & style.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627587/sennheiser-momentum-review

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

nice. some reviews coming in on headfi, but some guys are saying not as good as others at the same price. they look a lot nicer than plastic beats. metal and real leather.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

they do look nice and are probably not a waste of money. Without having used the Momentum's I'd guess that the HD25's are better value, but they don't look near as good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Have a new pair on my head just now ..Birthday Present from the wife..:D ...I dont think they are going to come off my head anytime soon.

I was looking for a nice pair of closed cans for travel and work, I have been using in ear sennheiser IE7's for a few years. Sounding great out of the box ,,cant wait to see what they are like with a good few hours of burn in !

Will report back in few days after I given them a real run for their money.

***On the subject of money ..turns out she got them for €239 in Dublin Airport (buy and collect on return to Dublin) ..not bad as they are €300 at Apple Store and €339 in Tower Records !

thats a decent price.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Nice to hear good reports on these. Reckon I'll definitely treat myself before Christmas.

• Advertisement

I would like to try out the Philips Fidelio also though... reading good things about them too.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/philips-fidelio-l1-1070976/review

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The fidelios sure are nice :D I'd like to change how the cable attaches to the headphones but that's a small gripe. Would love to try these senny's too, doubt I'll get to in the short term though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dave oc

DominoDub wrote: »
    Have a new pair on my head just now ..Birthday Present from the wife..:D ...I dont think they are going to come off my head anytime soon.

I was looking for a nice pair of closed cans for travel and work, I have been using in ear sennheiser IE7's for a few years. Sounding great out of the box ,,cant wait to see what they are like with a good few hours of burn in !

Will report back in few days after I given them a real run for their money.

***On the subject of money ..turns out she got them for €239 in Dublin Airport (buy and collect on return to Dublin) ..not bad as they are €300 at Apple Store and €339 in Tower Records !

Is that the standard price in the Airport and which shop was it in? (Dixons travel?)

got a pair of these hidden in the wardrobe for my son. he cant have them until santy delivers them on the 25th:D

i havent listened to them but they look great:p will do a review of them against my 650s over christmas.

emo72 wrote: »
    got a pair of these hidden in the wardrobe for my son. he cant have them until santy delivers them on the 25th:D

i havent listened to them but they look great:p will do a review of them against my 650s over christmas.

Be really interested to hear how they compare to the 650s. I'm looking at these as my headphones for in bed or around the house, I use the 650s when just 'sitting' listening directly from my main amp... otherwise on Mp3 player etc it's HD25s or Bose Around Ear in bed... they are really light but sound not great... comfortable for falling asleep though. The Momentum if comfortable enough would replace the around the house/bed headphones category!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Quick Update .

Ok a few weeks in and these amazing bloody things have yet to come off my head :D

Having been using in ear Sennheiser IE7's (great in their own right) and the open HD595's for a few years now , the transition to the Closed Momentum's has been a revelation.

I am re-listening to older albums in my collection , with new elements to tracks being exposed to my ears as if for the 1st time.

Have been using them unamped with my Macbook Pro & iPod Classic 160GB , lower bit rate ripped albums now do get exposed for what they are.

I have found them great with every type of music I have thrown at them.

They are very easy to use for extended periods ( but you may need make sure you have small ears to fit them inside)

A few nice new Reviews
    For those still waiting to make up their minds

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-adult-sennheiser-momentum

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6095/sennheiser-momentum-headphones-review

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Got a pair of these sitting under the tree for me! Wohoo!!
    Tested them with in Arnotts over the weekend and they blew me away in spite of my crappy GS2 source.
    I also tried the Amperior but found the Momentums much less harsh in the treble and had a fuller bass - if a little less thump. They were much much more comfortable than the Amperiors too, I found the leather of the momentum much more luxurious and nicer feeling than the Amperiors material. Te clamping force of the Amperiors was much greater which gave it marginally better isolation but much less wearable for longer sessions.

I tried a variety of different music from the Inception and Edward Scissorhands OSTs to Paul Simon, Nina Simone, Oasis, Radiohead, Aphex Twin and Daft Punk (all flac and played through Poweramp). I don't have any other high end cans but these all sounded great compared to my TF10 iems, much bigger sound stage and better imaging - much more sense of space, but that was to be expected I guess. I was really blown away with them and can't wait for Christmas now!

Thinking of getting an S3 and an external dac/amp to compliment them now if funds allow.....could be a small Turkey this year!

Feck I want these so badly!!! I've just bought a car though so can imagine the grief I'll get if I splash out on headphones :(

Feck I want these so badly!!! I've just bought a car though so can imagine the grief I'll get if I splash out on headphones :(

If you have the hd25 already would you think of something with a totally different sound signature - like the v-moda m-80 or the beyer dt770? Or even a nice portable amp for your hd650?

Issac wrote: »
    If you have the hd25 already would you think of something with a totally different sound signature - like the v-moda m-80 or the beyer dt770? Or even a nice portable amp for your hd650?

Makes sense alright re the HD25s in terms of sound but I don't find them that comfortable for listening in bed especially - I'm figuring the Momentum will be lighter and not clamp as much on the head? My HD25s also are in really bad condition now, they've taken quite a beating over the years from DJing to travel etc so rather than replace them I'd have considered the Momentum instead.

HD650 aren't an option in bed due to being open and will keep my wife awake!

The Beyers are an interesting consideration though and I've been keen alright to try another brand too, AKG have been one I've considered on & off also... I've been a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy for several years so maybe its time to try something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You could try the Philips CitiScape Uptowns. Similar style, smaller price, just as much praise in reviews.

only a couple of hours to go:p cant wait to get my hand on these! i have a pair of HD650s for myself and the momos for my son. none of us will be talking to each other tomorrow!

only a couple of hours to go:p cant wait to get my hand on these! i have a pair of HD650s for myself and the momos for my son. none of us will be talking to each other tomorrow!

okay, a quick update for anyone who is interested. i had a listen to me 650s but they need a suitable amp to drive them so not much fun.

i had a listen to my sons momos with a galaxy s3 and was blown away. no dac or amplification, just listening direct and they sounded great, loads of isolation and bass and clarity. top notch. all things being equal i covet the momos the most.

using winamp pro rather than the stock music player made a big difference.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the momentum's are sold anywhere in dublin airport?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the momentum's are sold anywhere in dublin airport?

Maybe Dixons in T2, they've a fairly decent selection of headphones. Not sure about T1. They'll let you try any pair too. Had a bit of time in there auditioning BW5's a few months back.

Just as a side I kept on meaning to update my opinion on these. I'm glad to say it hasn't changed, still rocking. The sound hasn't changed much (to my ears) since I first got them so burn in isn't important with them. Then again maybe I don't hear it as I would have gotten used to the sound changing as I listened to them. They're very comfortable to wear for extended periods - but I don't have large ears. The travel case I've found very handy for day to day use. Overall the materials used for construction is very high quality (it'd want to be at these prices!).

Can't recommend the cans highly enough.

• Advertisement

dixons in T2 had them when i went through in december. they had a pair on display for demo too.

I still kinda want these but now have my eyes on the AKG K3003... a snip for ear buds at £999!

http://eu.akg.com/akg-k3003-overview-eu.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Bloody hell, that's a mental price for earphones, they'd want to be amazing quality for the money. Knowing my luck if I got them I'd probably leave them on the bus by mistake.

Crazy money alright, they get mixed reviews but some really highly rate them. I read a nice review on Trusted Reviews, I'll drop than in another thread so as not to further derail this :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

dixons in T2 had them when i went through in december. they had a pair on display for demo too.

Any ideas of a price?

Heading through T2 next month so if anyone is going through there in the meantime could they check if they still have them and how much they are.

s_carnage wrote: »
    Any ideas of a price?

Heading through T2 next month so if anyone is going through there in the meantime could they check if they still have them and how much they are.

sorry mate, i cant remember. someone said he paid about 230? ish at the airport. however they may have been duty free going outside the eu. 230 would be a great price, seem to be 300 everywhere else.

I think they do an amazon price match in T2 Dixons - so they would cost you the equivalent of £230 if you go down that road.
    Hopefully they'll still be the €239 another poster said they got them for on the first page of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Cheers guys. Ya everywhere I've been looking has been around the 300 mark so will just hold off and hope they're a tad cheaper next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Anyone know where I can try these out in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Arnotts had them on display before Christmas, I assume they're still there. They had the amperior beside them too plus you can use your own source.

Issac wrote: »
    Arnotts had them on display before Christmas, I assume they're still there. They had the amperior beside them too plus you can use your own source.

Cheers man. Not a bad price either!

http://www.arnotts.ie/Product/Sennheiser-Momentum-OverEar-Headphones-Brown/342854/325100450

Ya, that's as cheap as I've seen them. They're a really nice set of headphones, real feel of luxury about them. I've used mine practically everyday since Christmas and they're great. Enjoy the audition!

Got these for €269 yesterday. Love them already, perfect balance of sound, comfort and style in that price range! :D

Got these for €269 yesterday. Love them already, perfect balance of sound, comfort and style in that price range! :D

Enjoy! Great set of phones. Very easy to drive which is a big bonus if you're on the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I tried these out in Tower today. I must say I really liked them.

Not sure if I €270 like them though . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Morf wrote: »
    I tried these out in Tower today. I must say I really liked them.

Not sure if I €270 like them though . . .
    Go to Arnott's and try the Amperior.

Then if you like THAT, spend half as much again and buy the HD-25-II instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭diddly3000

hey
    i ordered the over ear version of momentums recently and wanted to know has anyone tried them with ps4?
    i bought them for audio listening but if it works on ps4 for chat and audio it would kill 2 birds with one stone :)
    can anyone here confirm if they do?
    cheers

Advertisement