Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first wrinkles- help!

• 28-09-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror and its finally happened...the beginnings of some lines around my eyes and mouth. I'm sure that a year of poor sleep (baby related) hasn't helped. I'm keen to nip this in the bud or at least give my best effort at stemming the tide. Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, 2 things to tackle.

Prevention and cure

Prevention or giving yourself best possible chance is drinking lots of water (boring as it sounds), SPF (at least 15-I use Elisabeth Arden-brilliant), and sleep (maybe not possible with a little one, but as much as you can).

And I know its expensive, but Creme de la Mer is the best thing since sliced bread. Really works wonders. As Id say you are still young (late 20s/30s?), maybe once or twice a week is enough.

Ive been using it since I was late teens/20s and have pretty much wrinkle free skin. But I dont wear foundation/make up in general, so I feel its important for me to protect my skin that bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Well, 2 things to tackle.

Prevention and cure

Prevention or giving yourself best possible chance is drinking lots of water (boring as it sounds), SPF (at least 15-I use Elisabeth Arden-brilliant), and sleep (maybe not possible with a little one, but as much as you can).

And I know its expensive, but Creme de la Mer is the best thing since sliced bread. Really works wonders. As Id say you are still young (late 20s/30s?), maybe once or twice a week is enough.

Ive been using it since I was late teens/20s and have pretty much wrinkle free skin. But I dont wear foundation/make up in general, so I feel its important for me to protect my skin that bit more.

Thanks, I probably don't drink enough water or sleep enough. Wear SPF15 in the summer only as I have dark skin but maybe should wear it year round.

I don't usually wear make up either. I'm 31 so hopefully if I'm vigilant with the Creme de la Mer I can give myself a fighting chance. Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Thanks, I probably don't drink enough water or sleep enough. Wear SPF15 in the summer only as I have dark skin but maybe should wear it year round.

I don't usually wear make up either. I'm 31 so hopefully if I'm vigilant with the Creme de la Mer I can give myself a fighting chance. Thanks!

I wear SPF 60 in Summer and SPF 30 the rest of the year, I've very pale skin and literally burn in five minutes once it goes above twenty degrees.

Lots of water also helps.

You can't prevent wrinkles just manage them :)

I suppose wrinkles and skin are inherited/genetic, so have a look at your mam!

I wear SPF all year round also - its in the moisturiser, so it goes on when I moisturise.

Yeah the creme de la mer is really really good-if you get it, use it sparingly though. A pot normally lasts me a good 6+ months.

If my skin is tired/dehydrated looking, I just put some on before I go to bed.

Another thing to note-well it doesnt cause them, but causes the skin to dehydrate, is alcohol. I always always notice such a big diffference in my skin after being on a night out. Wrinkles come through/are more noticeable for definite then!

Am a divil for drinking water too-some days I could drink 2 liters, then, like yesterday I didnt drink any at all. Completely forgot. If someone came up with an invention as to how to get 2ltrs of water into you without having a bottle the whole time, they'd be zillionaires!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Is it best to buy Créme De La Mer online? I had a quick look on the BT and Debenhams sites and neither stock it?

190 GBP for a 60ml tub is quite a lot.. are we talking instant results or would you have to be using it over a long period of time to notice the benefits?

Edit: I see you can buy it at The Loop in Dublin Airport.. 30ml for €107.95.

I may treat myself to a tub as I'm heading away late in October :)

I'll report back with my findings ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Moisturiser Creams cannot reverse damage already done to the skin, no matter how much it costs. It might plump skin temporarily but if you want rid of wrinkles you will have to go down the retinoids route or filler/Botox. In the meantime use a high SPF like 25 or more and use a good serum like boots protect and perfect or EL Advanced Night Repair.

Moisturisers haven't enough active ingredients to make a difference but these serums are more readily absorbed by the deeper layers of the skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

This stuff is absolutely brilliant if Creme de la Mer is out of anyone's price range. Even after a late night skin looks great in the morning.

Comes from New Zealand but delivery is surprisingly fast.

http://www.xtend-life.com/skincare/Night_Cream_Women.aspx

lubie76 wrote: »
    Moisturiser Creams cannot reverse damage already done to the skin, no matter how much it costs.

Oh I know, more's the pity :)

I guess what I'm looking for is a brightening and plumping effect really.. I'm 29 and I've been looking around for a really good cream for a while now.. the above sounds great..

Here's hoping :D

I normally get it in BTs cork, or Harvey Nicks.

I beg to differ on how a moisturiser (of a certain quality) can work on your skin.

Have you ever tried creme de la mer lubie76? Are you talking from experience of using it too? If someone has wrinkly skin from just being old, yes, it is not a miracle in a pot in that regard.

Results are pretty much instant-more for wrinkles caused by dehydration (most of fine lines are caused by this), sun damage, skin tone, texture, and for prevention also, good for spots and calming skin down/puffy eyes/dry lips/dry skin.

As said, its not something youd put on your skin every day, as its very rich. Maybe once twice a week (there is a particular way youve to apply it).

Ill be honest, as said above, I do take alot of time and yes money looking after my skin, and Ive tried most of the expensive creams out there (+e100), including Elisabeth Arden, Lancome etc, and nothing works (for me anyways) like this cream.

^^ I want it NOW :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭rockclover1

a bit of botox or restaylline will do the trick,there are so many creams out there that just sit on your skin,if you are looking for a good moisturiser or anti ageing cream ,you need to look to see if it has the following: vitamin A(the skin will absorb vitamin a),vitamin E,and SPF..Look for those three things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I found Creme de la Mer far too heavy for my skin, even only using it once a week. Having said that, I have very oily skin.

As others have said, OP, nothing can reverse the damage already done to your skin. The good news is, if it's just dehydration/tiredness, you will be able to do a lot to improve the appearance of your skin simply by improving your diet/skincare regime. After that, it's about limiting the appearance of new wrinkles as much as possible. The single biggest weapon in your arsenal here is SPF. Find a moisturiser & foundation that has at least SPF 15 in it, higher if you can.

After that, I find serums far more effective than moisturisers. Aldi do an anti-aging one that I find excellent. I have a really noticeable verticle line between my eyebrows (I call it my "I want" line) and there has been a marked difference in it since I started using the serum about 18 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Another vote for serums if you have slightly oily skin. They're great for giving you the boost without adding moisture where its not needed. Creme de la Mer congested my pores and gave me a breakout. I had never broken out before.

I think a year of sleep deprivation is bound to have an effect since you need a certain amount of sleep for regeneration to occur properly.

Rest, water, and SPF will probably do wonders for you OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

As other posters have mentioned,a good serum is the answer and make sure the serum contains a considerable amount of hyaluronic acid (a substance that naturally occurs in the body and decreases as we age) which keeps skin plump. This is the main ingredient that is used in dermal fillers.I recommend the products from this website (www.forever-young-uk.co.uk/) which are a steal. Thay have a good range of serums that all contain high amounts of HA. I use the ega serum and it's amazing. The reason that their products are cheap is because they simply don't use fancy packaging.There are also HA supplements as well that are supposed to be brilliant. You can get them online also at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

dellas1979 wrote: »
    I normally get it in BTs cork, or Harvey Nicks.

I beg to differ on how a moisturiser (of a certain quality) can work on your skin.

Have you ever tried creme de la mer lubie76? Are you talking from experience of using it too? If someone has wrinkly skin from just being old, yes, it is not a miracle in a pot in that regard.

Results are pretty much instant-more for wrinkles caused by dehydration (most of fine lines are caused by this), sun damage, skin tone, texture, and for prevention also, good for spots and calming skin down/puffy eyes/dry lips/dry skin.

Yep, I've tried it and its more expensive counterparts through working in the industry for many years and I can honestly say price has very little do with the quality of a Skin product. IMO one of the best products available are serums and they come in all price ranges.

Moisturiser cannot improve your skin it only make it look better immediately but temporarily by plumping it out with moisture attracting properties. If that's what you want and you have the money to spend on creams like this then go for it. It defo cannot even skin tone or improve sun damage and can only prevent further damage if it has a high SPF and you wear it every day. My advice is to start on the SPF straight away if u want to prevent further damage. For already sun damaged skin use good serums, retinoids or peels. Wrinkles need fillers or Botox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well said... I experimented with a few eye creams lately I tried the origins roll on one. Which is good I thought for getting rid of the dark circles and a wake up call but no good for wrinkles..Oil of Ulay one (sorry if spelt wrong) nice cream but does nothing for the odd wrinkle..

I have just come across the Liz Earle range and I have to say I am a big fan..I have tried the fine line eye cream at night which is nice but love the SPF day wear eye cream. Feels lovely and I do think it has made a differance without a doubt. The also have a Superskin serum which is magical big big fan of them

Advertisement