Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby On Rails / MS Visual Studio

Options
  • 28-09-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am in my final semester of a web technologies course and have to submit a final year web application covering server and client side. I have already used rails for a previous project and personally found it hard to get to grips with and it took time to resolve coding issues but I kept at it and its becoming a bit clearer now. I got my first glimpse at Visual Studio the other night and was very impressed, I need to decide which to use fairly quickly. Has anyone any advice? Personally I think Rails would be harder to use but there seems to be a demand for Rails people right now.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gerarda wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am in my final semester of a web technologies course and have to submit a final year web application covering server and client side. I have already used rails for a previous project and personally found it hard to get to grips with and it took time to resolve coding issues but I kept at it and its becoming a bit clearer now. I got my first glimpse at Visual Studio the other night and was very impressed, I need to decide which to use fairly quickly. Has anyone any advice? Personally I think Rails would be harder to use but there seems to be a demand for Rails people right now.

Thanks
    are u doing web tech in the nci?

I did 3 ruby projects. changed the themes and built on them. I was advised by faculty not to try reinventing the wheel.

best advice is to go with what you know.

I used c# and visual studio for an enterprise project.it was a nightmare trying to learn a language and develop an app in 10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

It's a bit odd contrasting RoR and VS since one is a web framework and the other is an IDE. I'd agree that VS is pretty slick (especially 2012) although I try to avoid the wizard side of it. I'm not familar with RoR at a practical level but what I hear from the community makes it sound pretty good.

A more relevant comarison for me would be RoR versus ASP.NET MVC with C#. I develop with the latter and really enjoy it. The main differences are MVC is developed with either VS, or with Mono on a non windows box, where as RoR's heavy weight IDE is eclipse. Also Ruby is a dynamic language and C# is a static language. Dynamic languages are considered the golden child of modern web developoment although I haven't sunk my theeth into any bar some JavaScript.

From a future job perspective MVC/C# is more likely to land you in a more established/tradtional software shop where as RoR will lead more into the start up scene (though not neccesarily). I think either route will be of benefit to you but I would advise you to consider which language you would prefer after college since you'll be able to hit the ground running in which ever one you chose.

Advertisement